The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Episode Seven - "Kidnapped!"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic footage! This is going to be a really awesome episode.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound Test

Which music fits the scene better overall?

a: Lab/Villa/FighterBeach or b: EndofAges

Please remember that in the final movie, scenes may be shorter or longer and as always I'll do my best to synchronize key elements of the video to the music.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.. I like the Noloben lab music in the first video, but somehow the End of Ages stuff seems a little too dramatic..

I'd like to find something tense, but that doesn't sound like Phil is running for his life. We should feel creeped out but I don't want the DRC to seem so much like monsters. If we needed we could use the more dramatic, flashy music for the action part, with running and jumping, but when that's not happening it should be more still, and eerie. Perhaps something from Riven?

I'm investigating more possibilities right now..

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Dav'on
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto what MJ said.

Plus, I also agree with Gadren's suggestion, as that would speed things up a bit.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are both very dramatic... right for the scene. But video b sounds more (in the beginning) like the worst form of treason... and the middle piece is just too dramatic. Maybe it's better (especially the middle of the piece) for the last episode.

Video a is also dramatic... but this one fits much better! I really feel sorry for Phil when I watch this. Phil is just so honest... and now his friends betray him. The first piece of music is the best, and it captures the atmosphere best I think.

Last edited by Erik on Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I need to point out a few things. Pleading voice here:

The use of Live animations has already been discussed several times in the various threads of this forum. I would like to use Live animations. But that is not always possible.

I filmed exactly the shots that I felt we could not reproduce on Live*. (And even then, I missed a few shots with Laxman talking.) These shots include anything with the DRC... AND they include certain backgrounds. Such as... shots where the rope bridge needs to be missing.

What I'm saying: Please stop suggesting composite shots (scenes that require me to film the same thing twice and merge the pictures together). I will do composite shots when necessary. I don't want other people suggesting when I should do it, unless they want to learn Premiere and FRAPS and are willing to get involved in the project. (Consider this an open invitation! It would take some work off me and result in a better end product.)

* If an opportunity presents itself where I can film Sharper in front of a missing rope bridge using Live emotes, I'll do it. OK? I thought that was a no-brainer!

Re: The Music - I don't think any of the music from Riven (or Uru) will be appropriate for this scene, but if you can find a piece that could work, I'll try to make it fit. It's a challenge to avoid a style change partway through the video. It shouldn't feel like the difference between Classical and, say, ZZ Top. The music for Riven and Uru is very ambient; the music for Myst V is very dramatic and dynamic. This is why, except for one piece, I've so far avoided Myst V's soundtrack. It's fine for Myst V but didn't seem to fit Uru at all, to me.

Also note: The segue between pieces in the first example is far from perfect - I just threw the pieces together with a rough fade for now.

Erik: Could you please rephrase, and be sure to mention "video a" and "video b" in each place so I can tell which video you're talking about?
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
Erik: Could you please rephrase, and be sure to mention "video a" and "video b" in each place so I can tell which video you're talking about?
Done.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Now I understand better Smile
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you thought about the grsnTrainingWallMusic01.ogg file in the sfx directory? It's not being used yet in the cavern so I'm not sure what legal issues there might be, if any. But it is urgent without sounding deadly. It's also short so it might work just for the action sequence, although it sounds good looped a couple times too (with some of the silence at the end of the track removed).

grsnRandTCMusic03.ogg is also short but intriguing. The two might be able to be used together, also.

And the more I listen to it the more I do like version a, even if it does monsterize the DRC a bit more than I'd prefer. (Not a criticism of your work.. just wishing we had a greater repertoire of music to choose from. Wouldn't it be awesome if Tim had the time/interest to score these things for us? XD )

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would be awesome! Hopefully, he's up to his neck producing new music already though Smile

Digging through the Uru sound effects is an excellent idea! I hadn't thought about the Wall music. I will have to experiment with that. :thumbsup:
ghaelen
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if this will help, but, at CCN we have a blanket approval from Cyan to use their music. My understanding is that includes anything they retain rights to that relates to any of the games. I've used music from Myst, Riven, Uru, and from both sfx folders as well as from the CD's (except "Burn you up..." -- although without knowing I wasn't supposed to, I used that one too. Embarassed )

We've never had any objection to any of the songs/sounds we've used and I know Cyan has heard my work, because RAWA commented on it. I assumed he or someone would have said "stop" if I was doing something wrong. So, I would say if you have their approval to use what songs/sounds you have used, you also have approval for the rest.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good points, ghaelen.

I'm staying away from Myst III and Myst IV music, but I'm hoping there aren't any rights issues with Myst V, because there are some pieces from it I would like to use, and we've used one piece in... Ep 2 already. I really don't want to change to another piece of music unless I have to, but if I must, I will.

I need to check with the right people. That's in the works.

For various and sundry reasons, ensuring that this project corrects any legal issues and adheres to a strict and professional standard moving forward is one of the items on my list of "Must Do" tasks.
Beatfox
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great progress, guys! I have a particular interest in this episode, given that it was the one major Prologue event I was actually there for. Laughing

Feel free to send me a notice when you start filming the crowd shots; I'd be happy to reprise my role. I'm having problems getting Live to run at the moment, but hopefully that'll be resolved before long... I miss my Uru. Crying or Very sad
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will make absolutely certain you are notified, Beatfox Smile
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now working on the script for Episode #7.

With no opening or closing titles, the script currently stands at 12 pages. Final version should be shorter than the last two episodes... though I'm not sure how much shorter.

Shall we take a vote on the title? "Kidnapped!" or "Rational Discourse"

I like my title because it's direct, attention grabbing... it announces that something truly exciting will happen in this episode (unlike the less engaging episode before, "Conversations with Victor Laxman").

Rational Discourse is also a nice title because it is sarcastic and refers to a specific comment from the episode (one that won't be excised while I am trimming).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: