The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Anyone here ever play "The Stone"?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you know of "The Stone"?
Played it, knew it, 'heart'ed it
28%
 28%  [ 4 ]
Heard of it
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
I think I saw an ad for it
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Huh? "The Stone"? Vas is das?
64%
 64%  [ 9 ]
Total Votes : 14

CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Anyone here ever play "The Stone"? Reply with quote

I'm conducting a brief experiment to see if my only 2 excusions into the world of Internet Gaming are mutually exclusive or not.

I was involved, several years ago, in an online research/puzzle/treasure hunt type game called "The Stone".

Was anyone here ever involved with it? or even heard of it?

Just curious...

I added a poll... because polls are fun!

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.

Last edited by CuzinJohn on Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope and nope. What was it?
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes! I was the first one to solve the puzzle called The Case, as a matter of fact. I haven't looked at it for years tho (almost 5 years, I think). I've heard it's gotten a lot bigger.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still log on to Blade's account every once in a while. I've been stuck on the same 10 puzzles for two years now, though. Grrrr. They had a big contest for solving the middle puzzles, I haven't looked to see how that went.

CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the quick feedback. I knew in my bones that both games were big enough with their respective audiences to overlap.

Blade, I remember "the Case" I think... McGuffin?

Prof, The Stone was an online collection of puzzles that players had to solve. The puzzles were most often collages of images that left you to figure out what they had to do with one another and ultimately come up with a single "solution". You got in (originally) by purchasing a small stone with inscribed patterns on it... those patterns are what would identify You, and your Other. each pattern was inscribed on 2 Stones.

Much like another online game we all know and love, the interest on the game masters' part kind of fizzled out before the original goal could be realized. The goal kind of shifted around over the years, and I'm not even sure what the status of the game is.

Another similarity between The Stone and another game we all know and love is the Circle of Friends that each game generated. I am still in contact with folks that played The Stone, even thought none of us 'play' anymore. I was curious to see just how much these 2 circles overlapped.

I found my Stone the other day and wondered.

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuzinJohn wrote:
Blade, I remember "the Case" I think... McGuffin?

Yup, that was it. I was very proud of getting it first. Mr. Green

I never really got to know people in the game. I sorta got discouraged when it became obvious that there wasn't any sort of meta-puzzle - I'd sorta been looking forward to it.

As for other puzzle things, did anyone ever follow the treasure hunt books/contests, like the Merlin Mystery or the Treasure Trove?
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Merlin Mystery book. IIRC, so one solved it, and the prize was auctioned off for charity. http://www.treasureclub.net/publichunts/merlinmystery/index.html

The guy who did Treasure's Trove has a new one out: Secrets of the Alchemist Dar

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ALWAYS wanted to participate in one of those treasure book dealies!! Thanks for the linky, Eleri.
Anna Catherine
Folklorist
Folklorist

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it looked interesting, but I never actually played it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Saxy
Community Orchestrator
Community Orchestrator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, never heard of it Cuzin! But your description makes me want to play it. It kinda reminds me of an internet version of PerplexCity. Anyone heard of that "card" game? (Many mini puzzles on cards that you can collect, rack up points, then put them together to solve bigger puzzles.)

Not all who wander are lost... (MJ fixed my sig!)
KI: 38931
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's totally against the rules, but I wouldn't mind slipping people our access to TS so they can play. It's not like we're on it constantly.

CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BladeLakem wrote:
I never really got to know people in the game. I sorta got discouraged when it became obvious that there wasn't any sort of meta-puzzle - I'd sorta been looking forward to it.

I can't argue with you there. It became clear that their big ultimate plans never were acheived. I got pretty tight with a group of players, including a guy in NYC who organized a gathering there. I caught up with him while I was in the city on business.

I think it all came down to a lack of funds. Not enough people bought the $15 Stone, so they started selling online subscriptions. The plan was to open more and more puzzles getting closer and closer to the center of the Immediate (the grid-type map indicating locations of puzzles)... but from what I understand players could buy into an 'elite' subscription that gave them immediate access to the 'final' 6 puzzles.

Anywho... I lost interest in it all too... but it was an obsesssion for a few years.

Anna Catherine
Folklorist
Folklorist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked really good at the time, but I didn't have the cash when I saw it at the store. The one thing that freaked me out a tiny bit was getting hooked up with one other person who randomly has the same stone as you (and if they're a psychopath, you're just out of luck, I guess,) but other than that, it looked cool.

I also couldn't tell if it had much of a plot, and I'm a plot freak, that's one of my top game priorities.

Annacat
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Final Six became part of a big contest (that's still ongoing, there's 2 left to solve) You buy access to the final six, and the first person to solve all six wins, and *then* they'll open them up to the teeming masses.

Yeah, I miss the meta-puzzle, too

BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Catherine wrote:
The one thing that freaked me out a tiny bit was getting hooked up with one other person who randomly has the same stone as you (and if they're a psychopath, you're just out of luck, I guess,) but other than that, it looked cool.

Well, as far as I know, the matching never really did anything.

There wasn't a plot, but the puzzles were dern good.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: