The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Main Site Redesign
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other than to have a good place for archiving chat logs, I'm really in no hurry for a main site.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it would be nice if we each had our own independent space to blog on Uru, under the banner of the Great Tree.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we do need a simple space so that the average explorer who wants to know who the 'heek we are and what we are about (roughly) can just go to thegreattree.com and get a good summary without having to dig through forum threads. I think that is really important... really important!

Also I think an archive of chatlogs (with an attached summary) and a place for us to blog would be cool too.

Oh and member profile's would be snazzy but even further down the list of importance.

So in order of importance:
    summary of who we are.
    chatlog archive.
    blogs and profiles for members.

Really I would just be happy with the first one.

"WE ARE THIS, HERE IS WHAT WE BELIEVE, THIS IS WHY WE ARE HERE click HERE for the forum."
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting idea. Who all would make use of a GT blog? I don't think I would use it myself. Somehow it seems kind of creepy and voyeurish to find all the blogs of the Great Tree members in one place. More importantly, I think the main site should be about the group as a whole, instead of targeting in very much on individual members. The forum is the place for individual members to make voices for themselves. I feel like the place for blogs is off-site. I am perfectly willing to be the odd-man-out with this opinion, however.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blogs don't cut it for me. I think maybe I'm too old. Laughing I generally don't take time to read them and I don't have the time to write them.

Honestly, as great as a fancy front end would be, I really think we could tweak the forum enough to accommodate all Dan's ideas. Episodic content hasn't really caused a whirlwind of activity here so I would keep the labor to a minimum.

1. I suggest we sticky a blurb about The Great Tree.

2. I would love to see Spoiler Tags added to the forum so that we can post the chat logs right here.

3. And I think it would be fun for any members who want to blog or create a profile to be able to do it right here. Maybe as a Sticky. Maybe locked from outside additions to the thread. And the creator can unlock it if they want to add anything.

These are just thoughts. I just think it would be more realistic to make these changes to the forum. I actually think I would post more to the forum than I would an outside blog as far as profile etc goes. (Don't ask me why there's a difference, there just is. Twisted Evil )

Anyway, I just think less labor intensive the better for now. As things begin to grow (hopefully) we can re-assess and decide if something grander is needed. Right now I don't see it. Just my two cents.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
1. I suggest we sticky a blurb about The Great Tree.

Stating my opinion as one of the ADD, Hyper-active, alcohol addled and coffee addicted youngster demographic, I would like to have at least a blurb up front.

The difference between telling someone "Goto www.thegreattree.com" and "Goto www.thegreattree.com, go into the Cavern section, then the sticky at the top named 'Aren't we swell'" isn't much but somehow to me it seems like enough to discourage more casual explorers. While these probably aren't people we want in The Great Tree anyway, I think it would be at least a little bit good for creating a consistant recognised pressence in the cavern, as then even the most casual explorer could find out at least roughly what we are about in the minimal amoung of clicks.

Which is good, right? Right?

I agree that everything else could be acomplished using the forums. Although it would be nice for a place for bloggy-type thoughts. I find it easier to create a consistent IC outlook if I have somewhere to record it, and being the vain showman that I am I can never be bothered to do it unless there is the chance someone might read it.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We could always incorporate a blurb into our forum header. I have my monitor set at a very high resolution so there's oodles of room up there for me. Shrink the logo a bit and there's plenty of room for text.

OR...

Maybe we can limit the "fancy" front end to a "fancy" splash page with our public statement along with links to the aforementioned forum threads.

AND/OR...

We could have links to individual member's logs.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the splash page idea, thats pretty much all I'm gunning for at this point.

.... um a splash page is a simple front page with basic info and a link into the main bulk of whatever the site is, right?
Kyven
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about something like this for the splash page?

Last edited by Kyven on Thu Jan 27, 2011 10:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's the ticket, Kyven. I'm partial to the fourth one because it gets the message out there right away. The third one is a close second.

If we had multiple blog links we would obviously require a page 2 for the multiple links.

The same goes for the chat log page.

It's all simple to do and would be a good foundation for moving forward.

Thanks for the samples. Makes it a lot easier to discuss.
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope, Daedalus is doing well, too, and I wonder what it means, that
he's checked out and why... Confused

In general, I don't need any blog space, I'd love to see the Spoiler tags, too,
and the fancy splash page with our public statement along with
links to the forums and chat logs etc... as Prof Askew stated, sounds good...
And thanks Kyven, your designs are nice, I'd choose the third one... Very Happy
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we need a homepage though... with some info about our group. There are many who are curious about TGT and the chance that those people meet one of us in the Cavern is low.
We need some info, some history, perhaps some blurbs with a little story for each member with a picture of him/her.

Just a clean, informative and welcoming homepage. A forum is good for discussions, but it's not the right medium for giving information. And I do think that there needs to be a place where people can look up info about us. There are coming new people to the Cavern every day, and we should make it easy for them to learn about us.

Think of it as a visit card.

I don't like the idea of a GT blog to be honest. Some members have their own blogs already. I just think it won't work.

Anyway, if something needs to be coded in PHP (with MySQL), I would very much like to help. Wink
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great samplers Kyven!
I like the links going around the bottom of the logo in three and the blurb on four. A combination of the two would be excellent!
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about something like this?
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 18, 2007 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That works, too, Erik. I'm happy with anything that isn't too labor intensive (even if I'm not the one doing the work). Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: