The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Videos Lite
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, without asking, we have received two offers of hosting already.

One from Stevecrox, representing The Cavern Today, and...

One from Erik (for the Dutch versions only)... if we do Dutch versions. (Note: I think we'll be able to do more languages, but they may run a week or two later than the three languages we've chosen to start with).

The two other prominent groups we might want to talk to would be UO and GoG.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my plan to hold another filming session on November 5 is successful, I'll have everything I need to finish Episodes 2 and 3 in rapid succession. So, this seems like a good time to bring up the bandwidth question again.

My suggestion is a round-robin script on the webserver to flip between mirroring hosts. This way, all downloads can still be monitored through the media page, but different persons will receive their downloads from different hosts to reduce the load. This is probably a good idea regardless of whether Brian gets more upstream speed or not.

1. Is there anyone in our group who can write a script to handle this? (Cyan's got one for downloading the Until Uru client through plasma.cyanworlds.com; in a pinch, maybe you could ask greydragon for a copy.)

2. Who would be willing to talk to other sites about mirroring the content?

3. Can I get access to update the media page? Smile
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. I can write a script in PHP for this, if you would like. Smile
ghaelen
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have another idea that might help you allow more people to watch the program online while they still have the choice to download the file or watch it in .flv format in their browser. I may have mentioned this to some of you a couple months ago, but I seem to have lost some of my RAM memory lately. Rolling Eyes

Cavern Communications Network has a site available for programs like The Great Tree Story that you can check out here: CCN Directory

Follow the link on the right that says "UruNet TV" click on one of the boxes on the left and it will take you to a "soundstage." That isn't the category your videos would be in -- the Great Tree could air under "Explorer Tales" two links down, or we could create a separate area altogether. There are/will be several different sound stages for different groups in your very situation, and the overall theoretical design is flexible.

Do forgive the parts of the soundstage that don't work yet. We have a team of "two" sort-of-skilled academic types with great ideas and not-so-much time working on this rather large project. But we are getting there! Smile

The soundstage is able to be modified to fit your tastes, and you will be able to upload the files, images and scripts yourself. The "buttons" would allow you to provide a link to the high quality video file, which could also be held on the CCN server. The server is large and I understand we have a fairly large bandwidth capacity as well.

There are programs ready for the soundstages, some of which are on the link labeled "CCN Download Archive" (also on the right, near the bottom), others which are on older streaming pages, such as the shortwave and The D'ni History Project. We have two or three other groups around the cavern who will also be utilizing soundstages like this. The players handle both audio and video, and also have text readers.

We're not doing any full-blown advertising because, well, there's us two academic types.... But, in a month or two it should all be ready, (yep, just in time for live) and some soundstages might be ready sooner. If nothing else, we could certainly be another mirror for your videos, and I could fairly easily create an "archive" type page with all the links. Think about it, take a look and let me know if you're interested in this idea. We're just getting the conduits and wiring connected, but it might be another option worth considering for you.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that's sweet, ghaelen. I defer to the technical among us to make decisions of this nature.

But, there sure looks like a lot of stuff there I need to catch up on.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can update the media page to redirect to any server you wish. I can even make it redirect at the DNS level... for now, I'll give Marten access to the media page (and directories) so he can make changes to it - and long term we can redirect to better hosting.

Is this ok, marten? lemme know and I'll PM you the account info.

Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good to me.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to accept Erik's offer of writing a PHP script. I'll co-ordinate with Brian and Dus to get it into place. This website is already running under PHP so I know they have it installed. Smile

Great Tree media page has been revamped. You may need to refresh it, if it's in your cache. The new mirror links are temporary until we get a randomizer in place and additional mirrors lined up. I think we should do that this week.

As more people are drawn to Uru Live, I expect we're going to see more downloads of Episodes 0 and 1 as new people hit the page to download Episode 2... then 3... and so forth.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I'll start working on it! Smile I think it will be ready today or tomorrow.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some bad news unfortunately... Sad

I offered to host the Dutch versions as a mirror, but...
I have enough bandwith, but I've just noticed that I don't have enough diskspace. I don't have my own server, I've bought hosting. That gives me a limit of 300 MB. And since I already have a big website of my own, there's only 50 MB left. Sad
I could have my own server, but my ISP is blocking local servers... Mad

I'm sorry! (I'll be able to host Episode Zero though... WMV and MOV)
Maybe I can talk to Geert - the webmaster of DutchMystCommunity -, I think they have their own server, so maybe he is willing to be a mirror...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: