The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Episode Five - "Safety First"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomahnaGuy
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's ok. Just say if you need any help or something....

Then visit http://shard.wonderwedge.org

Very Happy
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ:

I'm as much a perfectionist as you. Feel free to send me the Episode 5 script in e-mail for now and I'll tinker on it and send it back to you for any more changes you feel are necessary.

I'm ready to hop back into this project.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sent.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks muchly. I'll delicately slice at it tonight.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm poking at Episode 5 now. Below I'll post an opening. But first, I have some questions. I need to nail down some facts Smile

Question - time and date. We've established that the second half of the chat log shown on December 6th actually occurred on December 5, early in the morning. But the first half of the log - the part that actually took place on December 6 - occurred at an unknown time of day.

I'm hoping that a person who has a log file of this event can dig it up and provide the time of day when this occurred.

I had another question here - location - which has thankfully been answered through checking John Lynch's archives. Thanks, John!

In the first half of December 5, Phil invites Sharper onto his Journey. Per JL, this occurs in the German Explorers' Neighborhood.

The scene on December 6 is a confrontation between Brian Fioca, Michael Engberg, IMForeman, and John Lynch. IMForeman and John reveal the existence of Sharper's Ae'gura office to Engberg, who seems dismayed and concerned to hear this news. Per JL, this occurs at the Ferry Terminal.

Both scenes are part of this log entry:
http://www.thegreattree.com/tree/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=35

And now, an opening:

Quote:
BLACK SCREEN - MUSIC UP - TITLES

FADE IN: Shot of Uru Obsession ‘hood from episode 4

SUPER: After revealing the mystery of the Islands Page before the skeptics in the Uru Obsession Neighborhood…

FADE TO: Slow zoom on Kemo Door

SUPER: …Phil Henderson disappeared again for a few days. Upon his return, he proudly wore a Relto book on his hip.

FADE TO: Slow zoom on Douglas Sharper’s office in Teledahn

SUPER: Phil was ready to help others take the Journey: In particular, one Mr. Douglas Sharper, a man whose name would continue to pop up in conversation over that weekend.

FADE TO: Slow zoom in on Barriers in Ae’gura

SUPER: Amid debate over Sharper’s behavior, a growing divide would become apparent between explorers favoring freedom and those favoring safety.

FADE OUT

SUPER: December 5, 2006 / 8:30 AM

JohnLynch
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
In the first half of December 5, Phil invites Sharper onto his Journey. Per JL, this occurs in the German Explorers' Neighborhood.
According to this log it happens about 05 16:29:18.

Marten wrote:
The scene on December 6 is a confrontation between Brian Fioca, Michael Engberg, IMForeman, and John Lynch. IMForeman and John reveal the existence of Sharper's Ae'gura office to Engberg, who seems dismayed and concerned to hear this news. Per JL, this occurs at the Ferry Terminal.
If I remember correctly it happens on the second part of the first flight of stairs at the Ferry Terminal, but my memory is pretty bad Wink There were also others involved in the conversation, but nothing the others said was replied to by Michael Engberg so I edited out their parts.

For an estimate on when the second log happened click here. According to GMT+10 (my time zone) the post was made at 9:31AM. So I'd say there is a very good chance that the conversation took place one hour before that, two at the most. So if you set the timezone in your profile on the GoG forum to some American time zone (such as the time zone for New Mexico) you'll find out a close approximate to when it happened American time Smile

So the claim on my website that this log happened on the 6th of December is most likely inaccurate (if you're going by American time). Its more likely that (going by American time) it happened on the 5th, same as the other log.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the helpful info, John. This one was a doozy for me to figure out.

Marten, John took some great pictures of Phil and Sharper linking out at the nexus, if you didn't see them. These would be really helpful for framing the scene.

http://www.uruobsession.com/images/dec5-3.jpg
http://www.uruobsession.com/images/dec5-1.jpg

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't respond here sooner. Got too many things on the proverbial stove...

To John: Thank you for the helpful clarification, and
To MJ: Thank you for digging up the links to those photos!
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you like me to take a look at Episode 5 again, Marten? I have some time today.

KI#44727
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright MJ. I admit, I really haven't done much besides write my idea of an opening (which you'll find above).

Thanks again!
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on it now. Smile

Ok, trying to wrap my head around the time zones. Here's the kicker.. was the timestamp for conversations in cavern always in Cavern Time or was it recorded in the logger's native time zone?

Regarding the confrontation between Brian, John, and Engberg:
According to timezoneconverter.com,
15:29:18 Friday December 5, 2003 in Etc/GMT+10 converts to 18:29:18 Friday December 5, 2003 in US/Mountain

So, approximately 6:30 pm Cavern Time? Does that sound right?

Regarding the start of Doug's Journey:
According to the log JL supplied, this scene occurs at

approximately 8:30 pm Cavern Time, assuming the log's timestamp is on Cavern Time

Regarding the heek game when Brian is watching Phil and Doug's progress on his KI:
According to the notes at the top of the log we have, this scene occurs at

approximately 5:50 pm Cavern Time

Clearly we have a discrepancy here, because Brian can't be watching the Journey's progress before it's begun.

What shall we do? I suspect that it is the start of Doug's Journey for which I have the wrong time. The other two times would seem to coincide well with times Brian would have been in the Cavern.

KI#44727
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Times/Dates within the original log files are in Cavern time. That is one reason I am so aggravated when the time stamps are removed from the log files. *shakes fist* The time and dates of the files themselves on someone's hard drive are far less reliable.

We've already discussed earlier in this topic that the three log file chunks are clearly mis-marked and must have occurred in a different order. Consider them to be log file 1, log file 2b, and log file 2a, in that order.

Don't sweat over the specific times for now. As John Lynch mentioned, assuming he posted the log files within an hour of their happening, his posts at the GoG forums can be used to help identify the real times and dates. For now, I suggest just putting the logs in the correct order and someone can do the homework searching the forums for better identifying information later.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm editing the chat log as it is currently, using the time you used (8:30 am) for the start of the first scene, Doug's Journey. From there I'm adding times of 5:50 pm for scene two, the heek game with Engberg, and 6:30 pm for scene three, the confrontation in the city. (This is the order we first established and I still think it is correct so I never changed it.)
I'm doing my best to try to get these times accurate through research, but I wouldn't object to assuming general times of day and using super/titles of "Later that evening" and the like.

I had an idea to change scene 2 slightly and have some of the conversation occur over the top of the heek game, rather than have the heek game interrupt conversation (in which case, obviously we wouldn't film a whole heek game). We could edit out the heek game entirely, but could it give us the opportunity for some visual interest, with clips of the game being played as they talk? Just an idea. I understand if it's too much film work, or too weird to see characters not moving their mouths when they talk (though this isn't a huge issue to me, personally).

KI#44727
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've got characters speaking and not moving their mouths already in Ep 3. It's not an issue Smile

Another option is "A few heek games later..."
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next draft is done (still text format, sorry - you'll want to open it with something using word wrapping)

http://www.fioca.com/jean/media/GT_Episode_5_JeanEdit_v2.txt

KI#44727
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: