The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

How The Great Tree was calling me

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: How The Great Tree was calling me Reply with quote

shorah, everybody Smile

today, i decided to tell you my little funny story about
the way “The Great Tree” was calling me…
and as everybody is very special, it calls everybody
in a special way… here is mine…

I am down in the cavern for about seven weeks only.
before I’ve played all myst games from the first until myst v,
the abm plus expansionpacks (I loved that and played them twice)
and suddenly went to some fora and from what I’ve read i immediately knew,
that I have to support this wonderful community and the again coming up “URU Live”
and to join uu, if possible…
...got my invitation, went down the cavern, met a very nice german
lady inviting me to her neighborhood, the “oldmans pub neighborhood”,
where I am since then…

in the urulive.com forum somebody attracted my attention who always
posted wonderful statements, helping others very nicely and kind, always
saying exact the right things very clear and competent in the right way
and at the right time…

wow, that had to attract me, cause this behavior not only touches my heart,
it touches my inner soul and I found lots of such people, but this one in any
way was special. all that has something to do with myself and with my life…
…as I am always trying to not only acting and living for my own benefit, but
for the benefit of more or many people or at least one other…
that’s why I want to support the myst/urucommunity, cause I found much of
myself there…maybe it is always like this, maybe life is like this…

o.k., oh, my god, help me, please don’t be beat me now and don’t be angry with me,
marten, but in the first instance I thought you were a woman Confused
in the urulive forum there are no avis, you now…
in one of my first postings there I afterwards saw myself mentioning you as “her or she”.
oh, yeah, I was hoping you didn’t see this…
but first I thought your name was a female one (maybe cause martin in germany is a man’s name…)
and then, while surfing through a wonderful picture gallery of the mysterium I got shocked…
ooohhh, nooo…, there was only one picture, but that was enough… Shocked
what to do now? after some silly ups and downs in my head and in my heart I thought, o.k.,
she’s a man now, why not…anything changed?...no, …why it should?...
he/she does a wonderful job and I will go on supporting this if there will be any opportunity…

and there it was… the prologue filming project, and as I’ve already read quite a lot of
the chatlogs and the prologue in general until then I was very much delighted
and decided to join the sessions as a part of the crowds to support this project in that way
cause I saw no other way to contribute to this…
I found it very funny then, that “FilmMaker” is a lady…lol Wink
I thought by myself “I wish you would be a real lady… we could work together and have a lot
of fun…”

through your postings, marten, I reached the great tree website and the forum, too.
I was sticking around a lot and was very much impressed of everything:
the history of “The Great Tree”, the current stance report (why The Great Tree is here) with
its philosophy of infinit possibilities, of cooperation, of unity…
”We must all work together for the benefit of everyone. We are all a part of a self-dependant circle.
Without one piece of the circle, we will die …”
wow!!! that touched my soul very deep…
and last but not least your wonderful amusing story of the “Great Tree Jacket”, professor askew,
of everything I’ve read in the forum until now and in particular of the people who have
posted all this…

so, that’s how The Great Tree was calling and attracting me…
let’s wait and see where it will guide us…

as this story tells quite a lot of me, I also see it as a little introduction to myself, too…
wish you all a wonderful evening and a great time for us in general on the surface and in
the cavern…

jana Cool

btw HAPPY BIRTHDAY to YOU, MARTEN
(i've seen it a few hours ago in the uo forum Wink )
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, jana.

I am deeply sorry if you ever felt misled that I might be a lady. I say this, thinking of a recent event where the Uru community felt its trust betrayed by someone who misrepresented himself.

FilmMaker is a female avatar because of technical reasons. The first-person-perspective camera for male avatars is higher than the camera for female avatars. The camera is at "eye level", and male avatars are taller than female avatars.

FilmMaker is a generic female avatar. She wears the same clothing, face, and hair that is used for the default female avatar. Sometimes she may wear a pith helmet, but otherwise, I deliberately do not dress her with other clothing. By playing the default avatar, I am trying to say to the world, "This avatar is not customized; this avatar does not represent a real person."

I try to be helpful on the forums. In the forums, it is easier to be a nice person than face-to-face. If I write something in anger, I can change my words before others read what I have said. Writing gives me time to think about what I am going to say, and how others might react. When I speak, the words come out much faster, and I do not always think ahead of my tongue.

But I welcome you to the Great Tree forums. The Great Tree has a special history in Uru. I am proud to be part of it. If you would like to know more about The Great Tree, and why we are cautious about whom we call a "member", there is a very good discussion here:

http://www.thegreattree.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1022

Thank you. Smile
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for sharing your story, jana! Very Happy
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thank you, professor askew, it was a pleasure for me and i felt better afterwards Smile

thank you, marten, for your warm welcome Razz

/me wonders why marten is always rejecting compliments … Wink

I’ve read the above mentioned thread and it took me two days several hours each to go through,
reading, translating and more than that understanding it…
it was very impressive for me, but also exhausting, physically and mentally… with all its ups and
downs, pros and cons, the contradictions and principles…
but inbetween there is a line, a fine line, a consensus…and there are also very clear statements
and positions…
in the beginning I had so much to say to all of that, but while going on reading everything I could
have said has already been said and at the end I felt the discussion was finished and that way
I didn’t want to start it all over again, saying things that have already been said…

in very, very short: as I understood there is no membership really to obtain…
yes, maybe sometimes there are external formalities to comply and somebody says
yeah, now you are a member and such…
but that’s not what I mean. I think, if you are a member then you are a member, then you’ll be/feel
attracted by whatever, you feel good, the people like you…
and if you aren’t then you’ll be extracted not by people but by time and by inner discrepancies… such a person will disappear itself…

taken from the personal account of farlesis:

“Then Daedalus gave a talk on the Great Tree and it’s symbolism in relation to the Tree of Possibility and the original home of the D’ni on Garternay.
The Great Tree represents us all, every branch and leaf is each one of us, every member of the DRC, of the Great Tree neighbourhood,
of every neighbourhood down in the cavern, every single person was on the Great Tree and we all had to learn to work together for a greater good,
learn to get on with each other. To find common ground that we could all come to, to share, discuss and help each other.
For D’ni to live both physically and spiritually we had to come and work together. So that became our message,
it didn’t matter which neighbourhood you were a part of, what your viewpoint was, we were all on the Great Tree…”

as long as that is the goal I’ll find myself here…
again thank you for your welcome
have a great evening

jana Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: