The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Episode Four - "The Power of Returning"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, yeah, I was presuming that at least the opening of this scene could be filmed on TGT shard.

If we could get just four people, Phil, Brian, Sharper, and Dusante, arranged in a circle, it'd work for that shot. More people could step in later if you filmed subsequent shots in D'mala...

I don't know. If we have to drop the shot, so be it.

I'm really frustrated that I can't help with filming.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice work MJ. I think the tense thing works out. You present the background in past tense, which is appropriate. When the conversations start, it automatically switches to present, because the event takes place in real time. The conversations are occurring as you watch them, not "Phil said... Sharper said..." Phil and Sharper as saying. That makes it present.

Let's role with it!

~Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean, you and I share an interest in doing some filming of our own but we've settled into a groove where Marten has taken over most of the photography. However, there's a lot to be filmed still! I suggest you and I get the scripts for Eps 4 & 5 out of the way and it will buy us some time to do our homework and perhaps do some filming of later episodes. I'm sure Marten would appreciate the break at that point.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo!

/cheer

Smile

And as for filming on the GT shard... that will be fine if you can gather the necessary folks on for the shot, arrange a time where we can all be there. I can play any role. I just don't want to be the cat herder anymore!
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where oh where is our Production Manager?
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish we could all gather in a room together and discuss these things. It would go over much more easily that way.

I really like the way this script is presented. Also, I appreciate that this script is more detailed than previous scripts on the specific locations where things should be filmed, and where people should walk. That is very helpful!

I have some very strong feelings about not letting anyone accuse us of "fictionalizing" these events, and I'm a little concerned about that in this script. (I'll explain below). I'm also setting some ground rules which I've defined here ( http://www.thegreattree.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=998&start=45 ) which I'd like to see this script adhere to, where possible.

Here are my comments:

I'm having trouble following what happens on what day in this script. I'm very pro-"give the date every time you change the date". I am less fond of "Four days later". This is a matter of preference, but I'd also like to be consistent in presentation through all episodes.

Of greater concern, I'm seeing things in this script that do not, as far as I understand, match up with the chat logs on how events occurred. This happens in two places.

The first place is where the script says that Phil is "glowing", but I don't remember reading about that anywhere. Also, it says "As before, Phil seemed to be “teleporting” erratically within the Age." ? What I'd like to know is: "When before?" I don't have any knowledge of him having teleported erratically when he met Zardoz, and Episode Two's coverage of Phil and Terra also does not cover this behavior. For continuity's sake, we cannot pretend that we've told the viewer about this behavior previously if we haven't really mentioned it at all.

The second place is where according to the original chat log, Phil did not find the entire DRC waiting for him. His conversation was with Laxman, and Laxman alone. He fled just before all other members of the DRC arrived. This script portrays Phil cornered by all of the DRC except Watson, and fleeing as Watson arrives. While that change does make for a more dramatic scene, I'd rather we keep these Episodes dead-on how it really happened.

Other notes:

* As I am the person doing the editing, I'd appreciate if I don't have to worry about creating emotes that don't exist in the game, like the praying emote. It's a cute idea, but seems too challenging for me at the moment.

* In Episode Two, we've got multiple events occuring in simply "Bevin" neighborhoods, whlie this script specifically calls for using different neighborhoods with different lights and features. Can someone identify which hoods have the features we want on D'mala or on TGT Shard? I'm not certain we have much control over this. Also, I'd prefer if the script would tell me which neighborhood each event actually took place in. This may require some detective work (contact people who were there, see if they know).

* Most importantly, this script has to shrink more. A 10 page script clocks in at 16 minutes. I do not want to see what a 15+ page script delivers.

I'm going to step back to Episode 2 now. It needs to be rewritten, so the November 28 scene can go back there, and that will simplify the setup of this episode.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I finish reading entirely, I need to defend the point that I have never added anything simply because it was more dramatic. I can't help feeling pretty offended, since I studied chat logs very very carefully, scripted the events according to what I garnered from the logs, and consulted with Brian for his recollections as to what was going on visually during the events. If I got something wrong, it wasn't intentional. I wasn't pretending anything, I simply got an impression from something I read, and I've worked very hard to make this script as accurate as I could, while still allowing it a natural flow.

Ok, here are my responses to your comments.. I apologize for the somewhat random order.

I may have misinterpreted Phil's "I have something to tell you. All of you. Where is Dr. Watson?" line and Laxman's "We'll get Dr. Watson." to mean that Phil linked in and saw nearly all the DRC. We can change that if it is wrong. I hope it is wrong, that could make filming simpler.

I was asking if we could use the "thank you" emote, if it still exists as I remember it, with perhaps a tiny pause to lengthen it. That's all. I have kept you very much in consideration all through writing to try to avoid overburdening you. The pause could even be scrapped. I am just keen for excuses to use other available emotes to keep the visuals interesting because the chat emote is unfortunately very patterned and gets distracting over the extensive use we must make of it.

Could my script seem overly long because of the added direction and notes? A readthrough of just the dialogue took about six minutes. Most lines are fairly short and do not need to appear on screen very long at all.

I got Phil's glowing from these lines:
"MrM3FaN: Also, Phil didn't look normal to me when I met him in Kemo.
Jaden: What did he look like?
MrM3FaN: It was as if there was a glow around him."

I don't right now feel up to searching through the chat logs I read to determine where I connected Phil's current "teleportation" to previous events, but it at least happens in the script where he meets MrM3Fan, so I can remove "as before" if necessary. I must have drawn it together with one of the instances of Phil's erratic KI signal.

I'm not sure I understand why November 28th's scene has to go in Episode 2. If you have already filmed some footage for it, can't it be used in this episode?

After I hear back from you I'll start making the necessary changes to this episode.

I'd also like to mention again that my UU installation might be having fewer problems right now, so if you need a role, let me know and I will try creating an avatar for it and joining you for filming.
Since I very rarely even visit the other forums anymore (the forums I have ever visited were uruobsession, drcsite, thegreattree, and urulive forums -the latter for which I am not registered), I am not the best publicist for filming and I fear I'd be pretty bad at coordinating filming times. I wish that someone else could fill that role, but I do want to see this project through, so if it comes to it, I will help with that aspect.

I will also add a note in this script the players who speak in the script, since I already noted the explorers who spoke in the chat log. Should help make it easier to decide which explorers should actually be seen in the film.

KI#44727
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:

I have some very strong feelings about not letting anyone accuse us of "fictionalizing" these events, and I'm a little concerned about that in this script. (I'll explain below). I'm also setting some ground rules which I've defined here ( http://www.thegreattree.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=998&start=45 ) which I'd like to see this script adhere to, where possible.

There is no fictionalizing in this script as I have read it. I was there. That's how it happened. There are some HUGE revelations in this script that should be apparent to us all now that we've played Myst V (sorry, Saxy) and they need to come out. We have the exclusive on this.

Quote:

The first place is where the script says that Phil is "glowing", but I don't remember reading about that anywhere. Also, it says "As before, Phil seemed to be “teleporting” erratically within the Age." ? What I'd like to know is: "When before?" I don't have any knowledge of him having teleported erratically when he met Zardoz, and Episode Two's coverage of Phil and Terra also does not cover this behavior. For continuity's sake, we cannot pretend that we've told the viewer about this behavior previously if we haven't really mentioned it at all.

I never personally saw Phil glow, but I did see him "teleport". It may have been a bug, but I'm not so sure... There's no continuity needed here - he most likely didn't do it in Kemo. Phil spent a year with the Bahro - a race that can link at will. We need to show this because it could mean that he survived his fall! We don't have to emphasize it, just portray it how it happened and let the viewer draw their own conclusions.

Other notes: I realize you've spent so much time on these, and I'm personally thankful in your debt (in fact, I've been trying to think of ways to compensate people involved in this). I just want to say that Jean has put as much effort into that script as you have in Episode 1, and it seems very dismissive to conclude some of the things that you have concluded.

Now, let's keep this professional, people. I'm really excited about episode 2. There are aspects here that can potentially tie some of the elements of Myst V into the story.

Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to preface this by first saying I understand that you've put a lot of work into this already, Jean - and mindful of Brian's comments, I'm sorry that I made comments that were not stated as professionally as they should have been.

I am not trying to accuse you of fictionalizing. What I'm saying is that we must be careful so that others can't accuse us of fictionalizing. Each of us read the same chat logs and visualized certain things differently, that tells me that we need to look over these scenes more carefully and come to a consensus.

Your reading of Laxman and Phil gave you the impression that Phil was cornered by the DRC. My reading was that he only spoke to Laxman. (And here I must apologize profusely. I did not word that as clearly in my original message, and I erroneously stated as fact several points which are instead merely my opinions.)

Moiety Jean wrote:
I may have misinterpreted Phil's "I have something to tell you. All of you. Where is Dr. Watson?" line and Laxman's "We'll get Dr. Watson." to mean that Phil linked in and saw nearly all the DRC. We can change that if it is wrong. I hope it is wrong, that could make filming simpler.

So: There are only a few vocal people who were there at the start of this event in the Cavern. I was not there myself. I only have the chat log to go by... here is how I came to my understanding of this event.

In the above lines, I interpreted "All of you" to mean the explorers present, not the DRC. I came to this conclusion because none of the other DRC members say anything until after Phil disappears, and because of these lines:

Dr Watson: Was this where you saw him Victor?
Victor Laxman: This is where he was at.
Michael Engberg: And he ran off?
Victor Laxman: Yes.
Marie Sutherland: And he went where?
Victor Laxman: Up over there.
Victor Laxman points
Dr Kodama: Toward the Palace? Is the Library secure?

In this situation, Laxman is explaining Phil's disappearance to Dr. Watson, Engberg, Marie, and Dr. Kodama. All of these DRC members are asking questions, and Laxman is the only person giving answers. To me, that strongly suggests they arrived after Phil fled.

Another thing is that I read Laxman's words differently, here: "Why don't you come to the Toktotah then? We'll get Dr. Watson." To me, this is saying, "Come to Tokotah, where the rest of the DRC (except Dr. Watson) is waiting, and we'll get Dr. Watson." Or "We" in this case could mean "Together, We, Phil and Laxman, will get Dr. Watson."

And this brings up a really good point - I have no idea which direction the DRC members enter the scene from.

It would really help if we had someone who saw the whole scene, who could tell us. Can anyone get in touch with Miroku, Jaden, RedTansNax, or MrM3FaN? They are the only ones in the chat log prior to Phil's sudden departure.

Moiety Jean wrote:
I was asking if we could use the "thank you" emote, if it still exists as I remember it, with perhaps a tiny pause to lengthen it. That's all. I have kept you very much in consideration all through writing to try to avoid overburdening you. The pause could even be scrapped. I am just keen for excuses to use other available emotes to keep the visuals interesting because the chat emote is unfortunately very patterned and gets distracting over the extensive use we must make of it.

I understand and you have a good point, but I feel uncomfortable about trying to create emotes that don't really exist in the game. As things are, I've already taken some liberties by having Zardoz open his book up to Phil and then close it again without Phil linking through, in Episode One. Game-mechanic wise, the book offering animation does not occur until after a person has already accepted to link.

Moiety Jean wrote:
Could my script seem overly long because of the added direction and notes? A readthrough of just the dialogue took about six minutes. Most lines are fairly short and do not need to appear on screen very long at all.

I suggest comparing the lines to similar lines in Episode One and the length of time that they are shown on the screen.

I am a fairly slow reader. This is an advantage for subtitling, because I know that the speed I choose to display lines on screen will be long enough for the majority of people. Also, consider that German and French translations sometimes are longer than the original English, so the somewhat long display times I prefer also provide a "fudge factor" for the translations.

The added direction and notes, which again deserve praise because it shows you've really thought through how some of these scenes should be portrayed, do add to the script length but I think it is still a little too long and I would like to see it shortened.

Moiety Jean wrote:
I got Phil's glowing from these lines:
"MrM3FaN: Also, Phil didn't look normal to me when I met him in Kemo.
Jaden: What did he look like?
MrM3FaN: It was as if there was a glow around him."

Wow, I think I had originally dismissed this assertion from MrM3FaN as hyperbole because of a bit of "inside information" - I know that when I was playing with the Yeesha avatar on The Great Tree shard, the UserKI /glow command had no effect, and if Yeesha brought fireflies with her from Eder Kemo to Eder Gira, they also had no effect. I could not illuminate the dark passages in Gira. So I... I admit, I assumed MrM3FaN was making things up.

But now I am remembering that Phil's avatar isn't a special avatar, so it is possible that he was glowing with something like the /glow option in UU.

It would certainly make for an interesting scene to show him standing in Kemo, glowing.

Your notes about him glowing definitely belong there, and I am wrong.

Moiety Jean wrote:
I don't right now feel up to searching through the chat logs I read to determine where I connected Phil's current "teleportation" to previous events, but it at least happens in the script where he meets MrM3Fan, so I can remove "as before" if necessary. I must have drawn it together with one of the instances of Phil's erratic KI signal.

The erratic KI signal I had always attributed to Phil teleporting in and out of the Age altogether. It is an interesting idea that maybe it is the teleporting that caused it; I hadn't considered that. All the same, I think I would be more comfortable if we removed the "As before" comment.

Moiety Jean wrote:
I'm not sure I understand why November 28th's scene has to go in Episode 2. If you have already filmed some footage for it, can't it be used in this episode?

If I am assembling Episode 2, then I want that scene to go into Episode 2. If someone else steps up to assemble Episode 2, then I have no control over it and I don't care, except that I'll likely have Episode 3 ready long, long before anyone else can finish Episode 2 the way it is currently written.

Moiety Jean wrote:
I'd also like to mention again that my UU installation might be having fewer problems right now, so if you need a role, let me know and I will try creating an avatar for it and joining you for filming.

That is wonderful news! I know that you were very frustrated with it previously. I hate computer problems.

Quote:
Since I very rarely even visit the other forums anymore (the forums I have ever visited were uruobsession, drcsite, thegreattree, and urulive forums -the latter for which I am not registered), I am not the best publicist for filming and I fear I'd be pretty bad at coordinating filming times. I wish that someone else could fill that role, but I do want to see this project through, so if it comes to it, I will help with that aspect.

I've opened the table for discussing roles over here: http://www.thegreattree.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=12363#12363

Quote:
I will also add a note in this script the players who speak in the script, since I already noted the explorers who spoke in the chat log. Should help make it easier to decide which explorers should actually be seen in the film.

That would be very helpful!
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen MrM3FaN on the UL boards, try PMing him there...
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rils: You're right, he IS back! Excellent! *rubs hands together gleefully*
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 25, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that should make yer life a little easier... Wink
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Tweek reporting for duty, not sure when I appear in your episodes but I would be happy to play the role of Tweek, the plucky evil designer with an invisible talking monkey.

Just drop me a note when you need me, if you need me.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's faboo, Mr. Tweek, we will certainly be requiring your assistance. I noticed your name came up quite a bit as I was assembling the Episode Five script as well. Weren't you just the man about town?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: