The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Episode Four - "The Power of Returning"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The transition from still to video would be next to impossible, but I would really like to see us try to get the clothing and the positioning as close to the photo as possible. Especially the one with Phil sitting on the "island" rock. Even if it vaguely looks like the camera angle from the prologue shot, I think people will make the connection, and it will be like hitting a homerun.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, you go and convince everyone who is going to be there for the filming (even though we don't know in advance who'll be there), to go and change their clothes for that. Somehow, predict who will be there, and who will show up late, and who will have other appointments interrupt.... then sit and wait for people to go to their Relto closets and change, and some come back, and some crash, and some people suddenly have to leave.

Or get the folks here at the Great Tree all to show up, and represent those people from the original event.

You are asking for something which is extremely, extremely, extremely difficult and time consuming.

Transitioning from the still to the video is actually the EASY part.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
*hands the keys to FRAPS over to them* You do it! Smile

All RIGHT! Very Happy
::grabs keys and runs out the door and immediately gets into a horrible accident::

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hahahaha Jean! Laughing

You guys are so awesome, you make me literally lol.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be easier to simply film something then extract a still pic from the shoot and work with that rather than try to match an existing pic.
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
You are asking for something which is extremely, extremely, extremely difficult and time consuming.

Nah man... I don't think anyone's actually 'asking' for it... we're just pondering different ways to bring those authentic photos into the mix.

I have no doubt how tough it would be to go from still to live or vice-versa, and I agree with MJ that were I to run with the FRAPS keys I wind up in a twisted mangled mess that the jaws of life couldn't get me out of...

I don't think anyone here wants to force even more work on an already time-consuming project. I, for one, appreciate your work on this, as well as eveyone else's work. I'm sorry my pipe-dream was interpreted as a suggestion.

It's all good, man.

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Marten had a bad day. LOL

Jean, I'll be reading your retortus today. Very Happy
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will try to be creative and work the photos in during Ep 3 assembly.

I still need to come up with a bit of perfect language for the Ep 1 credits... will discuss in the appropriate place.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries about the photos. I'm excited about them only for the opportunity to emulate them and make our reenactment that much more authentic.
Our chat logs aren't accurate to the very last detail, because we've had to edit them for clarity and ease of reading. Some minor players have unfortunately been edited entirely out because their contribution to the event wasn't great enough. So, if we don't get the tiny details down on those guys, I won't cry.

Still think accuracy on our major players is important though, because they're recognizable celebrities. Very Happy

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the second edit of the script, following comments by Professor.

http://www.fioca.com/jean/media/GT_EpisodeThree_JeanEdit_v2.doc

He's made the suggestion that we change the tense of the narrative captions to present tense instead of past tense. I want to ask general advice about this, but I'll start off by saying why I'm not comfortable doing so.

Past tense carries more weight than present tense, in my opinion, when the narration is so summarial. I feel that a past tense is giving us important history, while present tense would feel hurried and silly when it is as abbreviated as the current script is written. Present tense does put the viewer "in the moment," but I think a slight detachment from the opening events would actually be more beneficial.

Once we've gotten to the dialogue in the script, I consider us "caught up" and at that point, our narration could switch to present tense if necessary, though switching tenses feels inconsistent if it's not done properly.

Consistency is another issue. I don't know if I have the most recent script revisions for Eps 1 & 2, so what would be the proper tense to stay consistent with the style in those, if we need to?

KI#44727
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean, let me elaborate on my point six in my PM to you. I like very much what you did in regards to the past tense opening and present tense body of the script. I think it's cool. And I don't think the transition would be difficult to pull off at all. We can handle the look and feel of that in post-production.

Actually, I think we should use your model for ALL of the episodes. Short, abbreviated reflections in the past tense...possibly utilizing the "old movie" technique (or sepia...or black and white). And then all dialogue-heavy character scenes in the present tense...as in "you are there". I'm going to look back on the Epi 1 & 2 scripts and see how closely they follow this model.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hadn't quite been conscious of the reasoning for this camera shot when I wrote it, but I understand why I imagined it now. When the camera falls from a high overhead shot into the middle of the explorer group, that's a visual cue that "ok, we're not catching you up anymore, consider yourself there."

KI#44727
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jana has already translated Episode 1 into German, and Amarok's response is pending. The Episode 1 narration uses past tense. The recreation of the actual events uses present tense, as it is a recreation.

More comments to follow after I read draft #2.

PS. I don't know how I'm supposed to drop a camera from a high altitude into a group of explorers. There is no /jump4 on D'mala. Do you have a suggestion on how to film that?
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought we were going to use the GT Shard for some of the more artsy fartsy shots.

As far as the tenses go....let's just see how it plays out. I'm sure it'll be fine.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 3 of 14

Jump to: