The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Episode Four - "The Power of Returning"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:yeah that:

I read it over, looks good, though the conversations are a little fragmented. Probly cuz they were that way originally. Are these direct quotes (minus the chatter) or summaries? If we're not picky about staying true to the original dialogue, it might be edited to make it flow a little nicer... I can help with that if yer interested.

heh heh, I like the "Is your magic journey any funner than what we're doing right now" scene... Laughing

~Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I've read the script. Me likes it a lot. In fact, I don't see much that I would change. It may be slightly redundant by the end but not by much. Phil was a single-minded guy, after all.

Aren't we just moving right along? Smile

Jean, I'm going to PM you with some notes...very few...and we'll move on.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We're staying true to the original dialogue, but I see nothing wrong with taking statements which are fragmented and cementing them back together.

Person one: Hey there
Person two: Hi
Person one: I have a question
Person two: Yes?

->

Person one: Hey there. I have a question.
Person two: Hi. Yes?

There is an implicit lag when working with typing one's words; people will sometimes break up sentences just so that you'll know they're alive, when they're not really done speaking. And the faster typers get their responses out ahead of the slower typers, so there can be some rubber-banding of the conversation topic. We can smooth that; there's a slight order change to Laxman's interruption during the Zardoz and Phil scene, for example, that makes it more readable.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have already cemented together about as much dialogue as I am comfortable with. Believe me, these chats were each about 4 times longer because of all the chopped up dialogue and chatter. There are basically four chat logs being used here.
We can refine a little bit, but I think some mood and mystery will be lost if we make everybody say what they have to say all at once.
If we need to shorten it up, we're probably going to have to remove chunks. ::wince::
I was going to just combine Phil's two neighborhood visits into one, but the accurate historian in me was having pains with that.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another note.. if editing tools allow it, I dont' see why we couldn't have two subtitles appear on screen at once, in places where it is accurate to the way people are speaking... if one speaks over the other slightly, or adds a short agreement. This will also keep it from coming across as choppy.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean, my initial impression of your chat compression reads just fine to me. I wouldn't change the overall structure at all. As far as having two sets of subtitles on one image during a conversation...technically no problem in Premiere. We'll just have to make sure it times out alright. I'm not too concerned.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found screenshots of the actual events in episode three, on Uru Obsession!

http://uruobsession.com/?module=Gallery&galleryid=1&view=2003
Phil waiting for the Relto page to reappear...

http://uruobsession.com/?module=Gallery&galleryid=1&view=2002
Phil addressing explorers in the Uru Obsession neighborhood...

http://uruobsession.com/?module=Gallery&galleryid=1&view=2000
The UO neighborhood as it appeared at the time...

Working on counter-comments for the script right now. I will have them off to Professor tonight for further advice, and then I'll post the second version.

KI#44727
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pics are so COOL!
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! I had forgotten when the light gardens in some 'hoods suddenly had a fungus issue...

Am I also remembering some 'hoods had lanterns strung up with D'Ni writing on them... that when it got translated is said "This is a Lantern" or something like that?

Wow... remembering good times in the Prologue has me all excited for Live again...

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent! I think I can sit like that... with enough practice.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be really cool if we could get everyone involved in those exact same clothes in those exact same positions. Like, reproduce those KI shots angle for angle.

That would be so badass.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a movie once, where the scene would start with a photograph, and then it would change to live action, with the people starting in the poses from the photograph.

CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycreim wrote:
It would be really cool if we could get everyone involved in those exact same clothes in those exact same positions. Like, reproduce those KI shots angle for angle.

That would be so badass.

Oh yeah... how cool would it be to have some video of folks milling about then do the 'photograph effect' thing where there's a bright flash and then the photo, maybe with a little sepia tinting...

You guys know the effect I'm talking about, right... it's all the rage among dramatic re-enactments.

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleri wrote:
There was a movie once, where the scene would start with a photograph, and then it would change to live action, with the people starting in the poses from the photograph.

/me shudders

I know the effect you're talking about... but seeing photographs come to 'life' reminds me too much of those scenes in Steven King's IT. Reading about it was almost enough to give me nightmares... then seeing it in the TV mini-series cinched it.

Something about that just scares the buhgeezes out of me...

Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be a cool effect, but I think it's a little overdone, and plus getting everyone lined up like that, in just the right spots, with the right clothes.... ugh. I don't want to even consider that. So painful. If someone else thinks it's an idea we cannot live without.... then... *hands the keys to FRAPS over to them* You do it! Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 2 of 14

Jump to: