The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Discussion: Joining The Great Tree
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can agree with your last point Cycreim.

But I'll be blunt... if someone's a bump on a log, I don't really believe membership will change his or her overall nature. I don't think it'll cause someone to suddenly want to be involved.

Further, if someone is not much of a conversationalist, I'm not sure how else to find out what kind of person he or she is. We don't want to bring in new members and then find out they are rogue elements. Asking ten questions on a forum, in any manner, is very difficult. It isn't like a face to face conversation where you can weave in a few queries and try to make them fit innocuously.
Lord Chaos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Marten. I think, though, that the nature of the Great Tree will discourage "bumps on a log." It's not a group you join to gain cachet in the Cavern. It's more a group you join by, well, joining and doing things with.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I prefer the casual conversation style of induction is that forum registration and participating isn't required. Remember Akiva? She was really interested in joining and agreed with all of our philosophies. But she had a huge amount of trouble joining the forums. And now where is she?

I was talking to her, in person, in the Cavern, not too long ago, and was ready to let her join. If I had just found out if she was ready to deal with what she was getting into, she could have been at least a neighbour already.

I'm not really a forum person. I really don't like it as a method of communication. I prefer live chat of all types.

I'm assuming that some inductees will be forum people, and some of them won't... and actually that makes me think. Maybe we could use both methods that we've talked about in this thread? In Cavern, conversation-style if they're gabby, or on the forums if they want to really think out their answers. Give new members a choice and some wiggle room.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, excellent points. How about a small change to point 2?

Old:
Participate in our forum. Demonstrate interest in the politics of the Cavern. If all you do is leave your KI number, nobody's going to take a second look. We like people who are proactive and like to get involved.

New:
Talk with us. Demonstrate interest in the politics of the Cavern. We like people who are proactive and like to get involved. Look for us in the cavern or on the forums. ( The Great Tree forum: www.thegreattree.com )
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like it. I agree that not everyone is a forum person. It's only a minority of Uru-ites that watch the forums, and a smaller minority even yet that would check out our site. I'm fine with recruiting in-cavern.
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a lot more positive and a lot looser and more casual. I love it!
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked over the other comments in this discussion and feel ready to restate my suggestion(s).

Dcos, I thought about your reccomendation that we add a note about Douglas Sharper. I think that issue is too complex to summarize easily. Clearly, Sharper was influential in the development of The Great Tree... but that is past history. I feel that referencing Sharper in the Cause does not draw attention to what is important to the group today. Our relationship with Douglas is probably a topic best addressed when someone asks. And, I don't believe Sharper would mind that.

To what I've written, there are still many other things I'd like to add. But, I want to keep it short. I've always pushed for keeping statements like this one as brief as possible. That's difficult for me, because I like to talk. But a statement like this... is something I want people to remember. When we take action in the Cavern, we should think back to our purpose. Do our actions align with our purpose? If our purpose is long and convoluted, it becomes a burden rather than a guiding light.

Below is revision 2. Revised parts are in orange.

If this looks good, it could become a part of our official stance, which has not been updated since 2004. (I'm not saying our stance has really changed much... but the world has changed, and it seems appropriate to rephrase our intent as it applies to our present surroundings).

A derivative of this information might be an appropriate blurb to use at other websites, for those Cavern-oriented communities that want to link to our group.

The Cause
We are not pro-Yeesha. We are not anti-Yeesha.
Some of us have embraced the journey; others may have not.

We are not pro-DRC. We are not anti-DRC.
We would like to see a DRC that is more pro-explorer.

Our cause is open exploration, and open dialogue. Our cause is to break down barriers, physical or perceived. Our cause is to question the way things are rather than to accept them. Our cause is to embrace the diversity of the Great Tree, and within it, to look for truth.

Our cause may put us at odds with other interests in the Cavern. The Great Tree is unafraid to oppose those who would place safety before freedom. Members of The Great Tree are not afraid of exclusion from groups whose ideologies are perpendicular to ours. We recognize that all choices bring both consequences and rewards. We are not looking to pick a fight, but we will stand for what we believe.

Guidelines for Great Tree Membership
(Guidelines are not rules. The Great Tree may accept members for less... or for more.)

1. Embrace the Cause.

2. Talk with us. Demonstrate interest in the politics of the Cavern. We like people who are proactive and like to get involved. Look for us in the cavern or on the forums. ( The Great Tree forum: www.thegreattree.com )

3. Learn the history of the Great Tree. Discuss it. Speculate on how The Great Tree can become further involved in the Second Restoration. How would you like to see the Tree grow?

4. Demonstrate Patience (one of Phil Henderson's lessons). The Great Tree does not delegate membership frivolously. We're a bit clannish. We like to know that prospective members' attitudes fit in with our existing chemistry. If you've followed the previous three guidelines, and become a familiar and welcome face at our forum, you will be invited.
Lord Chaos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks good, Marten. I particularly like the blending of forum and chat in the Cavern. This is something the GoG might need to look into, as there are lots of folks who just don't want to mess with the forum.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have made the cause and guidelines an announcement in this forum, and relabeled this discussion to clarify it is a discussion.

Next topic: We need to address the backlog of prospective members.

Akiva, Erik, Michael, Nion, Sa'rUK, and tetters: I believe that each of you would be an asset to this group. If you are interested in joining the Great Tree, please let any member of The Great Tree know. This is not an invitation per se; it's a first step.

I have updated the list of KI numbers to reflect which entries are officers and members of The Great Tree. You may find that list here: http://www.thegreattree.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=1187

Edit Added Akiva
Edit again Added Sa'rUK

Last edited by Durin Mephit on Sun May 13, 2007 11:41 pm; edited 3 times in total
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Akiva?
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. Akiva added to the list, now that her account is working.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks! I'm certainly interested, and "the cause" as stated above and in the other thread is very similar to my own views about the Cavern. Though, I have to think about it, I don't want to rush such a decision of course. I'm going on vacation on the surface Friday for a week. I'll think about it then. Very Happy
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good Erik, we'd love to have you! Enjoy your vay-cay-shun, lordy knows I could use one too... Wink
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I promised to think about it... so, here are my thoughts. Wink

As I said, the cause of The Great Tree is very similar - if not, the same - as my own views about the Cavern, so what would stop me from applying?

Well, there's one obstacle for me, and that's changing my hood membership. Currently I'm a member of the Dutch hood. I've always liked to help and to contribute to the Dutch community in many ways, and leaving the Dutch hood feels like letting them down...

But I've thought about it and... leaving the Dutch 'hood is actually just a technical detail. It won't stop me from visiting that 'hood and contributing to the Dutch community of course. And apart from that, I think I should follow my own heart...

So, hereby I would like to apply for the Great Tree membership, and I hope you'll accept me. Very Happy
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to add: You can also stay a member of the Dutch hood online, and we can extend a neighborhood invitation to you, so you can visit the Great Tree anytime you like even if it has fallen of of the Nexus list. The only downside is that you wouldn't be able to toggle the hood back onto the Nexus list, or invite others to join the neighborhood yourself.

The choice is up to you. Smile I just wanted you to be aware of your options.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Neighborhood All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: