The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Discussion: Joining The Great Tree
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lord Chaos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Discussion: Joining The Great Tree Reply with quote

MOD NOTE: I split this subject from the Election thread. Seemed as good a time as any to begin discussing this and Lord Chaos is a great conversationalist. -Professor Askew-

brian wrote:
we should stack the ballot with GTers! hehe, an entirely GT liason group.

Good plan... I like the Great Tree ideas better than those of the DRC, and always have. The question is, how does one become a Great Tree member?
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordChaos wrote:
The question is, how does one become a Great Tree member?

Heh. This sounds like an interested party.

Since you brought it up, LC, maybe you can help us answer that very question. You tell us. Wink
Lord Chaos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean... there's no organized, codified, and vetted way to join the Great Tree?

/me gasps

Well, you could form a committee to look into the matter. They could forulate a 12-point plan for admission, starting with an examination of all prospective candidates. If tree sap runs in their veins, they're a natural. If their favorite color is green, that's a step in the right direction. Then there'd be the questionnaire, and a committee meeting to see if the questions have been answered correctly. Then a two-year probationary period. I'm sure you can follow this to develop the bureaucracy of your choice. Smile

Seriously... I don't know. Especially considering that the Great Tree group is so well hidden among the players of Uru that it takes some determined searching to find them.

in a way it's a fairly difficult question. The Rooftop Volunteer Group has coalesced around one specific project. The Guild of Greeters has a clearly stated set of goals and actions. CCN, although more complex, still is easy to encompass in words. Great Tree is more subtle, being more an idea than a set of guidelines or actions. How do you communicate to another person a complex set of ideas based on growth? And how do you know when another person subscribes to those ideas? One person's approach to aiding growth of the Tree may not be agreeable to everyone else, but the Great Tree has many branches.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, now, LC, that poast alone could get you into TGT. LOL.

Seriously, we'd like to know that potential members are at least aware of our history and our commitment to driving Uru forward by interaction with each other and with those elements that focus on the less tangible growth of D'ni. We'd like to know that they've taken Yeesha's Journey and understand it in their own way. We'd like to know that they are not anti-Yeesha. Whether they wish to "follow" her is strictly up to the individual. But, Yeesha shirts are more than welcome in our group. Sharper has taken the Journey. Wink We'd like to know that the possible candidate understands that we are kindred spirits with Phil Henderson. To what degree is up to the individual. But, Phil has followed Yeesha, has taken the Journey and beyond. We would like to have that same opportunity. We want to explore what Phil has explored. We want to know what Phil knows. And we don't want anyone to tell us we can't. Especially in the name of our own personal safety.

This is my take on it, at any rate. Somebody else may see it differently. LOL
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think of myself as a Great Tree seedling. I wasn't involved in Prologue, so I only heard the GTs story second-hand. But what they did say struck a chord for me, so I've just kinda half kept tabs on what's happening here, and been supportive where I could, and mischevious when I can. I make a good paperweight, too! I was pleased and supprised when I was promoted to Member Smile

dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread. As L.C. pointed out so eloquently how do you define membership of a group based on an idea? The tree has many branches and surely this diversity is about embracing the full tree (not literally of course, hugging trees is a bit too 60s for me.)

I’m really only a tacit member of the GT, A seedling like Eleri, I showed up to answer the call of D’mala and stumbled upon the ‘hood. I’ve just kinda hung around since, enjoying the companionship of those who chase the same vague idea but who don’t take themselves too seriously.

At the moment we can easily afford to be more informal. But what to do when the restoration is underway again properly? When many more new explorers come a searching and the importance of the GT group increases again do we make things more formal or embrace all who seek answers?

I say probably the later is best. Embrace all who seek the journey (again not literally) but to temper that perhaps a time lapse before they become full members? Anyone who asks can become a Great Tree Journey(wo)man (hoping you don’t mind the slight pun but it seemed appropriate) but only after a few months in which they’ve had a chance to have a feel for the idea we follow do they have to make the choice about whether to take on the role of Great Tree Guildmember. As was mentioned somewhere else being a member of GT can affect how other cavern dwellers perceive you and so it will possibly, in the future, be something which shouldn’t be entered into lightly.

Just my thoughts.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us, Dan.
Daniel wrote:
At the moment we can easily afford to be more informal. But what to do when the restoration is underway again properly? When many more new explorers come a searching and the importance of the GT group increases again do we make things more formal or embrace all who seek answers?

This is the crux, yes? Most of what TGT has done/said has followed an organic path. (I use the term organic a lot, perhaps overly so, but I use it in the proper context. I'd like to think we are the opposite of contrived but this is only 90% true. Wink )

You say you prefer the latter, embrace all, but there will most assuredly be others who lean toward something more formal. I would take very little convincing to remain lean and mean. But, let me clarify that statement by saying the doors of The Great Tree are, and always will be, open to all. That doesn't mean "all" are members of the group. Confusing?

But, even with that said, the criteria for membership is not all that difficult to meet. Though not etched in stone, demonstrate an awareness...think...be willing to learn...be willing to share your thoughts...HAVE thoughts...have fun....have a heart...have some principles...argue....compromise...seek answers...seek QUESTIONS....Grow.

Again, this is just my opinion.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great discussion, everyone. Lots of stuff to think about.

We're a group of friends, and we're also a group of people who share a common ideology. The criteria you mention, Prof, sums up really well what I think the Great Tree group is all about. A further thing I'd add is a desire to be on the forefront. Not necessarily to be in control, but... to be aware.

We know what kinds of people we need to watch out for, the dangerous people. People who spend all their time making sure everything is about themselves. Those kinds of people end up getting replaced by eggplants. We aim to be open-minded, and we always aim to invite those in who we agree with. Inquiring minds. People who aren't fed up with Yeesha's "yammering on about nothing".

I hope that's something we all share.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in Prologue, I personally was searching for people who were simply questioning the way things were rather than accepting what was. This combined with signs of intelligent life was enough for those to be appealing to bring aboard to GT.

The relationships we make with the people we meet can instantly clue you in to the good or bad apples. How one's chemistry works in the group is quickly recognized throughout. When everyone gets a good feeling about someone new to the group, that is a good sign.

Prune the tree. Cut the cancers. Embrace what will help us all grow together and thrive.

Very Happy
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, fellas.
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daedalus wrote:
Back in Prologue, I personally was searching for people who were simply questioning the way things were rather than accepting what was. This combined with signs of intelligent life was enough for those to be appealing to bring aboard to GT.

Bingo.

Back in the Prologue, I can't tell you how many folks I'd meet that were only concerned with getting to the ending rather then enjoying the Journey. It wasn't so much like that in the early beta days of the cavern. [ooc]Heck with all the vault wipes they did back in beta, i'm surprised ANYONE got to the ending. We were more concerned to see what shadows we could fall through! Wink[/ooc]

I met a few folks who seemed genuinely into *everything* there was to see and explore... I'm remembering Farlesis and Kyven in particular. And these folks shared my 'question everything' approach to the cavern. The most dunting puzzles were trying to jump over barricades. DANG, I hate those things.

Anyhoo... hanging round the cavern with these folks, I think I kinda got planted in the 'hood by proxy. Then I took root. No application... no initiation... no dues to pay... and a group of people who have since become friends.

We may have somewhat different visions, but at least we're all facing the same direction.

Welcome.

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daedalus wrote:
Prune the tree. Cut the cancers.

Oh boy! *grabs shears*

This quote, taken out of context, could do so much damage...

*mad giggles*

I woke up in a funny mood.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL@Marten.

CuzinJohn wrote:
Anyhoo... hanging round the cavern with these folks, I think I kinda got planted in the 'hood by proxy. Then I took root. No application... no initiation... no dues to pay... and a group of people who have since become friends.

Some people are just naturally Great tree people. Very Happy
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with everything here, I just have to be the one to point this out, because it's important.

There's also another implicit requirement of being a member of the Great Tree and that is the potential to be excluded from other groups. I still firmly believe there will again be a time when sides are chosen. Our group intends to align with the side that represents what we already stand for. This alignment, as with any choice, will bring both consequences and rewards. That's why there's a difference between "Members" and everyone else. Both for protection, and distinction.

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::nods::
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Neighborhood All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: