The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Discussion: Joining The Great Tree
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
Yes, Nion, Dan is right.

Shocked Shocked Mad Mad

Its Dan!!! Razz
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nion, just hanging out with us, both here and in Cavern, is a good way to get to know us. My KI # is 68300, feel free to put me on your buddy list.

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why, whatever do you mean, Dan? What are you so excited about? Mr. Green
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darn you and your and your arcane Mod wookiness! Mad

It happened I tells ye! It happened! *gets taken away by the nice men in white coats*
tetters
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nion wrote:
There are a few of us out here who sincerely hope you can all come to a consensus on this matter - and soon. I, for one, understand and appreciate what you have been through - and why. I would dearly love to join you, but I have a hard time finding any of you in your home bevin. I have learned to be patient and persistent.

Not to cause any hard feelings, especially before you even know me well, but many people remark on the fact that there is rarely an ACTUAL GT member in the bevin. Obviously, these are their perceptions and not my own. I think it's a timing issue, but it would be great if we could do as the Professor suggests and discuss this issue with some of you.

Signed,
Waiting With Anticipation

As a person in waiting on this matter as well I can agree with what Nion is expressing in his post. Just last night I was in the TGT Bevin with another explorer (Lost Owl) and we were chatting with another explorer who was just passing through originally (I think her name was "beep"). So people are asking about TGT but just recently, whenever I've been in the 'hood, no members have been around. I usually pop through almost every night, (past 10 pm EST) see if anyone is around, and strike up a conversation. If no one is there sometimes I sit for awhile, but eventually...I leave.

I'm not critizing, just bringing it to everyones attention.

-Anonymous-
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We obviously need more members, if for no other reason than that we can have members in the 'hood when others drop by. Wink

The truth is, many of us are being run ragged with our surface lives right now. I understand that the same is also true for most of the staff over at CCN... it seems that right now is just a busy time in the world, for many people.

We were all waiting for the story to begin, and then when it did, Ha! as Sharper would say... it caught us at a bad time. That's Murphy's Law at your service.

Maybe a possible approach would be to hold an "Open House" day where we can commit to hang around a bit more than we have been doing lately?
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you, Marten, a scheduled "open house" is a great idea. I'd certainly be willing to "work" one night a week for a certain amount of time to greet visitors and would-be members.
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the thing I'd like to mention to people who have just recently arrive here, is that I think we just want to get to know you.

There really isn't any sort of initiation, application or audition. There isn't a 'party line' to adhere to or anything like that. The Great tree is really more of a fellowship than an organization, I think. A group of people who like to spend time together and who support each other. Coming to the Greet Tree forums and asking to be a member is like coming up to a group of people and saying "hey, yer interesting, wanna hang out?"

So who knows? Sure, let's hang out Smile Join the conversations here. Come hang out in cavern. Heck, PM me if you want. Tell us about yerself. What do you like to do in your spare time? What do you like about the Cavern? I'm interested in you.

In the end, it doesn't really matter to me if you are a Great Tree Member(tm) or anything. A friend is a friend, no matter where you find 'em, and I can always use more friends.

MOULagain KI#27460
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Humbug!

Laughing
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you'll pardon the pun, certain people have been ragging on us for not being very open with our membership. Again, I'll point at "surface distractions" as a primary cause, but secondly I wanted to emphasize what Blade just mentioned... our group is kind of organic and loosely organized. "Fellowship" is a good word for that.

We tend to move in the direction a majority of our members are leaning. (No "party line," as Blade said.) If our group grew uncontrollably, we'd have to implement a more formal management process, and that's something I think we're a little afraid of... we really just want to have a good time and don't want that sort of headache. We also don't want one of our own to start a ruckus in the cavern "on the behalf of the Great Tree" but without support from the group as a whole. This has happened before so we're once bitten, twice shy about it. So yeah... color us "headache-averse."

We're not the only group in the cavern and (as far as we are aware) we are not receiving any special treatment. Though we count Rils among our own, his membership in the Great Tree had ZERO influence on Sharper and Nick's decision to involve Rils in their Negilahn investigation. That came about due to Rils' own independent investment of time and effort into forming the D'ni Zoological Society. There is a lesson to be learned there, I believe.

One might even conclude that The Great Tree is slightly -less- likely to be pulled into "special events" than other groups just because we've had our 15 minutes of fame already, and no-one running the Restoration wants to field accusations of elitism or favoritism. So if we want to be involved... we're going to have to invest a little more effort than we currently are. Wink

Just a few random thoughts for prospective members. I'm not trying to scare anyone away... I'm just saying, "this is not a free ride, and we can't even guarantee a ride. We'd all like to ride... if you're still interested, please walk with us for a while."
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double poast!

We used to have a message on the KI listing key neighborhood members. That message has been overwritten by images.

Here's what we need to do:

1. The holder(s) of the message need to share a copy with everyone whose KI number is in the message.

2. If any of us determines that the message has "fallen off" of the imager, we need to re-upload it.

This way, visitors to the neighborhood will have a way (even if it is a kind of poor one) to find out if any of the 'hood administrators are online.
Nion
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew! I am actually relieved, because I am rather more comfortable expressing my opinion here than I would be in the Cavern. Too much traffic there for my taste, and I still have a healthy smattering of paranoia left over from my misspent youth.

I knew nothing about the origins of TGT until I read some of the postings here, and I must say that the videos were the most help in pulling all the bits of information together into a cohesive, if not comprehensive, picture for me.

They are your best advertising. People who "get" them are probably your kind of folks. People who are offended, or worse yet, bored, NOT ...

As for the Professor's criterion of whether or not they can think, I doubt it will take you many posts to figure that out.

Please be forgiving, however, of those of us who can't type well. I have just spent a lot of time editing this for typos, time which I won't always have, so my posts in the future are likely to need some reading between the lines, or at least good Wheel of Fortune players.
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typo all of the time, so don't worry about it Nion Smile

MOULagain KI#27460
Nion
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Blade, for understanding, and for your KI. I will use it judiciously, meaning I won't bug the pee out of you.

Tetters, I'm not sure if the woman named "beep" that you talked to and the one I'm thinking of are the same, but i know at least one other person who is SERIOUS (IMHO) about TGT.

Unfortunately, it was a casual conversation, and I didn't make note of her name, so now, many days later, I can't remember it. If I run across her again, i'll send her here.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dint' wrroy a but typesohs, nion, weewohnt thnik enee loss o yoo. Wink

And I would LOVE to talk to someone who is SERIOUS about TGT.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Neighborhood All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: