The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Discussion: Joining The Great Tree
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
We still have a lot to iron out but we'll get there.

So just out of curiousity, how is the ironing going? Are you guys hammering that out in a mods-only forum, or are we still where we left off here?

While I'm thinking about it...

Though I understand the need to limit access to hood joining, I'd like to voice my opinion that leaving it in the hands of one person is a Bad Idea. If they get sick, something bad happens to their computer, they go MIA, etc etc, then the new kids are just SOL...? Plus then you hafta arrange a time for them to be around at the same time the new guy is so they can hook up, and make excuses like "well, I think it'd be great if you joined, but you need to go looking for the Head Honcho cuz the general populace of the group doesn't have any say in who can be a part of our group..."

Please note I am not against the idea of having a Fearless Leader, and certainly have no problems with Brian being in that role! Not at all! I just think that saying he is the only one who can join people up is an unnecessary burden on him, as well as giving the impression we're all mindless Brian drones... Wink

Maybe, if we don't think everyone can join someone up, we could have a core team of people, say, the mods, or perhaps a group of volunteers from within the ranks...

I know if it wasn't for Cyc's friendship I wouldn't be here. We used to hang out in the City or UO(?) hood, and have a good time. One day he mentioned he was part of TGT, I mentioned I was interested in the group, one thing lead to another and he helped me join the hood. If that had depended on my happening to be around at exactly the same time Brian was, chances are excellent I wouldn't be here today!

Hope this doens't go over the wrong way, I'm not trying to be divisive, just expressing an opinion... Wink
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rils suggestion was something I was thinking as well. Have a group of representatives or liasons either selected by Brian, or the group as a whole, or based on their mod status, or longevity in the group. That group should have folks from several time zones.

Also, you could have a forum section where new recruits would go to express their interest in joining. They would have to somehow demonstrate understanding the the history and ideas of TGT. Or maybe they do this in game with a TGT member who then becomes their sponsor. The sponsor then tells a liason/recruiter and if the recruiter agrees the person is a good fit they are invited.

Just some thoughts.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the fact of the matter is anyone can currently allow people to join the hood. There is a chance the problem can take care of itself when the cavern re-opens... Let me explain.

Rather than setting rules as to who is in or out, it is a simple matter of principle. As long as new members know what they're getting themselves into (and that they are aware of the potential risk involved with joining us) then they can decide for themselves whether or not to hop aboard. Anyone unaware of the group's activities and history probably shouldn't be joining, and members who have included people into the fold who have the wrong idea about the group (or have misled other new members) are not the kind of people we want around. We don't want to be blamed because a new member lost access to the Tokotah or because they have lost friends due to joining TGT. The Member system on the forums is a way of covering ourselves in this event.

Unfortunately, we have had problems in the past with certain people who have mis-represented TGT in the cavern. For the most part, the Members you see on this forum today are people who had the same prospects and ideas at the time the group was formed, or at least have contributed to TGT's growth since -- as an idea, message, community, etc. Trust is The Great Tree's keystone, and I can honestly say I hold a great deal of trust in each of our Members on this forum.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of what we are discussing here depends upon Laxman's success in reconfiguring key parts of the Nexus and in upgrading KIs to additional functionality. (Maybe a good time to chummy up to him. "Laxman! Old pal!...."

Right now, there isn't any way to boot someone out of the neighborhood if he or she becomes a problem. Once someone is in, we cannot force him or her leave.

If that problem is solved at some point, we can look back at discussions like this one and laugh. Until then... this group is going to have an interesting time managing membership, I think.
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me pounds head on tree trunk

The Strange Tree

There’s a strange tree which lives near me,
And this strange tree could not agree,
That if this tree could ever see,
A stranger tree it sure would be.

There’s a strange tree which topples me,
For this strange tree was tall, you see,
And then this tree would use its knee,
To break in three, the clouds who flee.

There’s a strange tree which lives near me,
The northern tree, its branches free,
The southern tree, no limb to see,
For this strange tree, was strange, you see?

There’s a strange tree which I can see,
And this strange tree (against my plea)
Was sent to sea, its roots now free,
And now this tree… A ship is he.

~Daegal
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212

Last edited by Mystlander on Fri Dec 29, 2006 7:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To sum up - they'll be a way, but it won't be a set of rules. We don't really like rules around here.

Cool

Malakh
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok so now that we are in the Cavern. The way it seems to stand is there is GT Hood members and then True GT Members. What signifies a True GT Member? How will folks become true GT Members?

I suspect these questions are not really answerable at this time but I thought I would throw it out there.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, Malakh, we don't have answers to these questions yet. All we really know so far is that there are members of TGT and there are fans of TGT and there are people who are not a part of it at all.

The core members of TGT were associated with the group from when the Cavern was first opened to Explorers three years ago, some of which have maintained a presence on these boards throughout. We shared a like mind in pursuit of Uru and basically followed the tenets of Yeesha and Phil Henderson and followed Douglas Sharper's lead in setting up an organization that questioned the DRC and their methods of restoring D'ni in the context of the aforementioned.

Going forward we are hoping to maintain the original group dynamic even at the cost of turning away potential members. In theory, all are welcome to join TGT. But, given the criteria listed above, not all Explorers will be interested. And if they are not interested in said criteria, why would they want to join TGT? This question, once answered, will hopefully keep us out the position of having to turn people away.

The best advice I could give people who want to seriously join The Great Tree is to take the time to seek out core members of the group and discuss with us what they think of the group, what they know of the group, what they want out of the group. Engage us. Show us you understand Uru's potential. You don't have to think like us. You just have to think.
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
You don't have to think like us. You just have to think.

Quote of the week Professor, good indicator for membership I think Very Happy
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
Saxy
Community Orchestrator
Community Orchestrator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said, Prof! *clapclapclap*

Not all who wander are lost... (MJ fixed my sig!)
KI: 38931
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 30, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's so well said and... vague...

heh heh I like it!
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a few of us out here who sincerely hope you can all come to a consensus on this matter - and soon. I, for one, understand and appreciate what you have been through - and why. I would dearly love to join you, but I have a hard time finding any of you in your home bevin. I have learned to be patient and persistent.

Not to cause any hard feelings, especially before you even know me well, but many people remark on the fact that there is rarely an ACTUAL GT member in the bevin. Obviously, these are their perceptions and not my own. I think it's a timing issue, but it would be great if we could do as the Professor suggests and discuss this issue with some of you.

Signed,
Waiting With Anticipation
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the boards Nion. While its best to wait for one of the core group to speak on the matter, I would recommend joining the boards (hey first step accomplished already) and hanging out, make a few postings, give your opinion on a few topics and heck even start a few good discussions.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Nion, Dan is right. As far as your interest in joining is concerned, chatting it up here on the boards is just as effective as conversing in the Cavern.

Welcome to The Great Tree.

I think many of us in TGT are still adjusting to the pace of Cavern life and don't feel a particular need to link in every day. I'd like to think that as things progress, our presence will increase.

Feel free to post your KI number so we can find you and also let us know what times you are in the Cavern.

Last edited by Professor Askew on Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Neighborhood All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: