The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Project Structure
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like the person who has the unedited versions of the logs to send them my way... I want to do some consistency checking.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
Proposed title: People Must Know
November 24, 2003 7:32 PM Phil reappears briefly
November 24, 2003 8:58 PM Douglas Sharper

The first log is really similar to the Zardoz encounter, but it clears up Phil's relationship to the Bahro and to Yeesha. It's also very short. The second log, the Douglas Sharper log, doesn't say too much more than the first log we have of him. They do talk about Shroomie for a bit, which says a bit about Doug's character, and they talk about the reason the DRC are so strict about the 'hoods and the City, whereas they aren't for the other Ages. The content is fairly cosmetic though, we may be able to skip over both of these.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds good, Cycreim.

The list now consists of ten chapters.

http://www.thegreattree.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=9744#9744

Obviously we're cutting out a lot... but I think we have to, to keep this project manageable. Still, I'd like to see input from others. Deg and the Explorers' Guild included!

Is anyone else there? Bueller?
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ten chapters seems manageable to me. We'll have material well into next year, but just working on it is good enough. Awesome, Marten! I don't know what we'd do without you!

My schedule is really free for the next month, so I'm going to go through the first few episodes and see what I can do in terms of props and locations, see how much we can film "Live", and how much we'll have to film elsewhere.

EDIT: Who's playing Sharper right now?
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycreim wrote:
Who's playing Sharper right now?

Isn't it CuzinJohn who volunteered for that duty?
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think so, it confirms what I remembered, anyway. I'll operate on that knowledge until I hear differently. Smile
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't yet buzzed in on this side of GT recently, so I thought I'd say some things. Very Happy

The outline looks awesome. It really breaks down the events into segments which I believe will tell the story well. Each major event had a purpose which is fun to see unfold. To think of the events we partook in as chapters (or episodes) really ties it all together. It truly is a story.

I'm excited about this!
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think these segments are reasonable. How long time-wise are you considering each of these to take? 5 minutes? 10 minutes? 3hours15minutes? Cuz the way they are chopped up now, I guess I'm seeing them in the, oh, 5-6 minutes mark, which is nice. Not hard to make, not hard to watch, and long enough to include the meat of the content.

As for the stuff being left out, I agree that that's ok. We don't need to recap every single conversation, just the events. If there are particular chunks of conversation that relate to events, we may be able to snip those out of their respective logs and attach them to the applicable episode, without using the entire original conversation...

~Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
Cycreim wrote:
Who's playing Sharper right now?

Isn't it CuzinJohn who volunteered for that duty?

'tis true, i offered my services to play the role... but if the directors, writers, producers, caterers, or groupies would like to cast someone else, i'm cool with that.

well... maybe not the caterers...

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could begin filming as early as this weekend. If not this weekend, then Sunday the following weekend. I'll try to reach Dusante this week. I need contact information for the others we've found for Episode 1.

As we're subtitling everything, there's really no chat to log... people don't have to re-say the original lines. They just have to stand around and look pretty.

If I can make this weekend work as I'm planning, then Wednesday I'll begin to barage the usual forums about the start of the project. My proposal is that we try to film the cavern portions for one episode every two weeks. By sticking to that schedule, people who want to participate will be able to find a time to join in.

Our scriptwriters (Askew and Jean) need to get to scriptwriting ASAP. Smile

Those of you who have parts in the logs chosen... once I've firmed the start date up some more, I'll post dates into the episode list. If you can't make it on the chosen date, please let me know what weekend you *can* make it.
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... all the more reason to re-cast the role of Sharper if needed.

I leave Friday the 18th for a blissful vacation to a beach house in the Outer Banks, North Carolina.

My work cell phone will be 'mistakenly' left at home, and I'm pretty sure we won't have any Internet access beyone a dial-up. I'm due back the evening of the 26th, and may be re-adjusted enough to be back in the Cavern on the Sunday the 27th.

I don't want to hold up production on account of my vaca... so go on ahead without me if need be. Rolling Eyes

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ack! ::flails::

What am I doing now? Turning this material:

Episode One: Planting the Seeds
Episode One will need to open briefly explaining more immediate backstory: Reference messages regarding Phil's disappearance*, and note that in response to increasing numbers of explorers appearing in the Cavern, the DRC has cordoned off areas previously open due to concerns of safety under higher levels of traffic.
( * Also remember that drcsite.org will be down Aug 14 and 15, 2006 )
November 19, 2003 3:35 PM Douglas Sharper
November 19, 2003 3:45 PM Phil Henderson and Zardoz

into one script in the format from Episode Zero? Just making sure..

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ,

Professor Askew already did a script for Episode One, then I made a few adjustments and posted an updated copy. You'll find the current version here:

http://www.thegreattree.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=8553#8553

Your mission, should you choose to accept it, is twofold:

(1) Update the Episode One script to provide a short, clarifying opening monologue. (We should discuss whether this monologue should continue as a spoken dialogue as in the Episode Zero movie, and continue that practice through all ten episodes, or if we should switch to all titles and subtitles for Episode One.)

(2) Use the finished Episode One script as a template to produce Episode Two.

For (2), You may need to trim down the chat logs some, to focus attention on what is important. If you need more guidance, ask Professor Askew for help as I trust that he knows what he's doing. Smile
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, right. Sorry. I'd already read the script for Episode One, don't know why I thought that was the next one to do. So episode Two then.

Isn't the opening monologue for One already pretty much done, in the form of the "Super" lines? (superscript?)

Aha, I didn't realize we'd done a spoken monologue for Zero. Is Zero finished?

I try to keep up with these threads so diligently, and yet I still constantly feel as if I'm missing information somehow. Sorry to be a dead weight here. Razz

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not happy with the opening lines of Episode One. Smile

The opening for Ep One was written before we'd decided to do an Episode Zero. I think a lot of that is now covered in Zero.

Neither Ep Zero, nor the current Ep One opening, explains that Phil Henderson disappeared in 2002 and that nobody has seen him for a year. Neither opening explains that the DRC suddenly erected barricades across Ae'gura in November, blocking off access to areas previously open to explorers. These details are well known to us, but not to new people arriving in the cavern. As our project is as much about accessibility of the story to new explorers as it is to refresh the minds of older participants, I think we'll need to improve the opening.

From the list of episodes:
Reference messages regarding Phil's disappearance*, and note that in response to increasing numbers of explorers appearing in the Cavern, the DRC has cordoned off areas previously open due to concerns of safety under higher levels of traffic.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: