The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

So, when URU live is back...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tkwiggins
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I understand what has been bothering me about this issue.

It's that small portion of fan storyline writers and age builders who are militant about it. Those who get hurt and defensive and even combative at the suggestion that they might not get what they want, when they want it. Those who follow a philosophy that familiarity with someone else's creative space somehow entitles them to special consideration to occupy that space and do as they wish within it -- or at least a legitimate right to negotiate for it.

Now, I certainly don't include all fan storyline writers and age builders in the above.

And I'm not pointing any fingers at J'Kla.

But then I read:

J'Kla wrote:
So it sounds like if someone wants to tell a different story from the official line they are to be ostracised.

It is allways good to know who will stand and who will capitulate.

...*pointer-finger begins to twitch*...
J'Kla
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry if you think I am complaining Bogardan Madge.

Honest I am not. I don't have the skill to mod a MMORPG Very Happy

All I am stating is the facts and I that don't like the negativity. All I can do about that is highlight it when it arrises. Hey! if you want to be negative about it be my guest. Very Happy

I don't want you to go away. If we cannot agree then please let us agree to disagree.

Without someone to take a cotarary position I would be a dictator. This is why feedom of speech is such a jelously guarded human right.

Please allways try to remember one thing.

Freedom of speech is linked to freedom not to listen.

I would prefer you to be swayed by my rhetoric. but if you insist that I represent something you abore then so be it.

Thanks Ashtar. BTW If Bogardan Mage wants to make an issue of this feel free to moderate it out of existance. I do not want to fight over this. I have better things to do with my time.

[edit] TK I conceede the opening comment was inflamatory. but I did feel I was being told to shut up and it did kind of highlight who was trying to shut me up.

Consider the twitching finger noted. [/edit]
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to finally speak more of my mind on this issue... where the real issue seems to be J'Kla, rather than fan-operated storylines.

J'Kla, I have a lot of respect for what you want to accomplish in terms of new stories and new places to visit. However, from the moment you set foot in these forums, it seems you've been looking to start a fight. Taking as distanced a position as I can, it really appears that you're "testing the waters" to see who'll side with you, or who you can provoke to side against you. "Let's see if these are gentle people... I'll jab them with a sharp stick, and gauge their reaction!"

If this is part of building up your storyline, I don't mind so much, but I suspect it isn't. Although your creative efforts are admirable and I support them, the way you present yourself on forums and the words you choose are going to define how much support you get from the fan base as a whole. I recommend more carrot, less stick. Rather than ranting about whether people support you or abhore you, show some fruits of your labors - that will get people interested.

You mentioned that you personally don't have the skill to mod an MMORPG. If you think that your best contribution to the Age Builders is therefore to run around stirring up controversy... please think again.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with much of what Marten has said. I've been reading through this thread and really the main thing that kept coming to mind is that any offshoot story-telling should come organically. To stand back and try to orchestrate this kind of thing "politically" just ain't gonna happen.
J'Kla
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have allways tried to stay out of forums till theres some sort of call to shut stuff down.

I am of the firm belief that this is Cyan's call.

Ok I voice my opinion in a firm way. Is that now a crime. I try not to insult people and make an extreme effort to produce rational statements in defense of my position.

I am prepared to conceede when I have been out of order or prooved wrong.

Wherever posible I answer directed points with reasoned debate.

I feel the pointy stick all too often and am possibly a little to ready to rise to the occasion. I appologise if I have offended anyone.

I am all for organic growth and I should do ok because it looks like I've ended up in the manure again. Very Happy

I am not trying to provoke storyline I am trying to make sure I have somewhere to develop storyline. What sort of carrot do you suggest I use to plicate those that would have the workshop pulled down?

This is a genuine question because at the moment I can only see a robust defense of my position. Give me another option please.
Bogardan Mage
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashtar wrote:
I think that's enough bickering for now. If J'Kla wants to host the Walker story, I'm willing to give him some server space to do so. If Cyan comes down with a request to remove it, he knows that I will have no choice but to do so. But I don't feel there is anything wrong with a storyteller wanting to tell his story Smile

Ashtar

Nor do I, Ashtar. I couldn't care less what J'Kla does. All I'm saying is that when the private shards are shut down (and I'm fairly certain they will be) it is not infringing on his rights, as he seems to see it. I know I come off as harsh, I don't mean to. Like you, J'Kla, I am stating the facts. Your python extensions are not covered by freedom of speech. You should not expect Cyan to allow you their continued use. No other MMORPG would allow you their use to begin with. These are the facts that I am stating. My opinion doesn't come into this.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think that's enough bickering for now.

Thank you, Ashtar. Very Happy
J'Kla
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See there you go putting my point of view for me.

Quote:
when the private shards are shut down (and I'm fairly certain they will be) it is not infringing on his rights, as he seems to see it.

I have never disputed Cyans decision on the status of the private shards I have never said they can't do what they like with the Myst universe.

My only dispute is with those that would have me stop working within the fan licence and those trying to influence Cyan into closing down a piece of Uru history.

On the whole I agree with you It is Cyans' call I tend to center my efforts in providing a counter argument when I feel the negative vibes.

Please don't bite my head off for wanting to see the private shards continue all I want to do is show that there is another viewpoint.

Please allow me the freedom to voice my desire to see something continue that hurts no one.
Bogardan Mage
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J'Kla wrote:
See there you go putting my point of view for me.

Quote:
when the private shards are shut down (and I'm fairly certain they will be) it is not infringing on his rights, as he seems to see it.

I have never disputed Cyans decision on the status of the private shards I have never said they can't do what they like with the Myst universe.

My only dispute is with those that would have me stop working within the fan licence and those trying to influence Cyan into closing down a piece of Uru history.

On the whole I agree with you It is Cyans' call I tend to center my efforts in providing a counter argument when I feel the negative vibes.

Please don't bite my head off for wanting to see the private shards continue all I want to do is show that there is another viewpoint.

Please allow me the freedom to voice my desire to see something continue that hurts no one.

Ok, that makes sense. It was pretty much your line of argument that made me think your reasons were purely self-motivated and unwavering. If they're not, I have no problem with you whatsoever.
J'Kla
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou. Very Happy

Concluded debate. It feeels really nice to get to this point. and it is really hard when someone thinks you are the villan of the piece.

I don't like it to sound like I am bickering but I think we have at last sorted that one, and I know it sounded bad for a while.

This may sound strange but in some way reaching a peaceful outcome is satisfying and graceful.

Someday and I hope it is far in the future all instances of the cavern will close but if it comes sooner then so be it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: