The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Interesting FutureS For Uru

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject: Interesting FutureS For Uru Reply with quote

Well, I thought I'd pass these little tidbits along. I happen to think they're rather exciting.

First is the announcement that the newly created gamerZunion will be testing out their servers with Until Uru. Nobody seems to know what that means for the privately created shards that are now currently running but it's believed they well be allowed to run simultaneously.

We're all waiting anxiously for Cyan's post-Thanksgiving announcement. In the meantime, here's a link to the UO thread about gZu:

http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=35&t=22550&s=66e51528884f4cfe91a4d89c02be270d

And here's more information regarding what gZu is all about:

http://www.gamerzunion.com/

Aaaaaaaannnnnddd........

If that isn't exciting enough, Eleri Hamilton has got something exciting up her sleeve. She posted an announcement at UO but here's a link to the actual site:

http://www.mystembassy.net/uuic.html

This could be very intriguing. As far as I'm concerned this is really no different than Uru Live because Live had no new content either. Just a lot of people with something to say. Can it be done without the interaction of the DRC? I don't know. But, I'm willing to take a shot. Looks like it's time to reload Until Uru.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A real trip back down below the surface?

I see only one true problem with this, and that is with having the expansions take place (with Myst 5 in tow) before our return. Since we all individually witnessed and experienced the events of the expansions "on our own," it would be impossible to relate to others without having each and every one of us be responsible for the events between Uru Live's close and the end of Myst 5. For continuity's sake, the only true way we could meet again -- In Cavern -- is directly after the events of Live. In other words, we'd be going back in time as if the expansions never happened.

Don't get me wrong, I love the idea of bringing it all back for real. Part of me has never been able to let go of the experience and friends I have made, and is what keeps me coming back to these forums every day. I miss "in cavern" as much as the next D'ni-head, but that all ended from the explorers' point of view with the introduction of the expansions and Myst 5.

All I have to say is "make it work, and I'll be back down there again, tellin' stories around the Gira campfire."
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I see handling the expansions in a similar fashion as we did handling Prime. They were individual Journeys to be discussed as a group. Unless of course you were one of the few who, for whatever reason, completed Prime in the context of Uru Live. Unfortunately, I wasn't one of those people. I played through while waiting for my invite. In any case, I think it's do-able.

Myst V, however, is a wrinkle. Cyan may still be holding out hope that Uru Live may return someday but....the ending has been written! Shocked I don't know how they plan on working around this and of course...they probably aren't. Tying Myst together with Uru probably wasn't the best idea for Uru's future but what are ya gonna do?

So if Living D'ni is going to work, we're going to have to treat Myst V as a GAME IC. Meaning, we're going to have to treat it as one of the many possibilities that could take place in the future and not take it literally. Which could work, really, because every Myst game was a game. Only Uru was real. Hey, I think I solved the problem. Works for me. Very Happy
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heheh interesting proposition. Prime could be considered within the context of live because that was the content. The whole idea was that we were each bringing back an individual bahro into the cavern, hence their sudden appearance (or lack therof, screeching). It made sense from both views and didn't bring you out of the Live experience. They integrated in so that there was no difference between playing on or offline outside of the community.

One could argue about the Nexus book not making an appearance unless you were registered for live (or UU in any case), hence giving you access to the city, but that was the whole concept of the offline game. Give gamers a taste by showing the possiblilities, then open up new worlds, expanding the game into the deeper into the D'ni realm.

I swear, not a day goes by... Laughing
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say, I'm not optimistic or really even excited about this...

If there is no new content or Cyan involvement... what's the point, really?

All of the fake stories people got going haven't been very compelling to me.

Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2005 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the stories were all that compelling to me, either, because there wasn't much to do.

So this is just a baby step. Gadren said it very nicely over on Tap, it's not a story, but a personal way of playing UU. Blade calls it 'speculative reenactment'. My hope is not to build a storyline, or advance a plot (even the DRC's old one), but to bring back the immersive mindset that Live, and UU started out with, that the cavern wasn't a chat program, but a destination.

When I started playing UU, people talked about stubbing their toes on rocks by the Ferry, and they all dashed for shelter when it rained in Eder Kemo. Few people do that anymore, and that's the sort of thing I want to rebuild.

Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After some thought I agree with Brian. It's the same old problem of "nothing new." No news, no story, nothing compelling besides the community to keep one coming back -- and any forum can offer that without the feeling of emptiness.

Here's how I view UU. It was both a success and a failure -- successful in keeping Uru online, but failing because of the community response. Even early on the numbers in the new cavern were slim, but the fact is that the "thousands" of people who had access to Uru Live at release neglected to ever come back. Even with a single $5 charge.

The draw of new content may incite some following, but since Cyan isn't actually making the content, we can only imagine the work that is to be done by the community. Bad or good, its not official. [Not to mention there are plenty of other newer and upcoming engines out there that are better looking, easier to use, and more worth the time investment.] But if UU is going to a third party client, we may be swimming up a creek as it is. I for one won't be paying for a subscription fee for a glorified chatroom, and having public shards separate from the client would probably become illegal. [Why would they charge to play UU and allow free shards to be run at the same time?]
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's precisely my point: official.

I still haven't played Exile because I'm a Cyan snob I guess.
(Although I did play and finish Myst 4... which was good, but still not good enough to go back and play Myst 3). There's a NOTABLE difference between Cyan's interpretation and everyone else's. You can feel the tension, the confusion, and the better-than-genius &*$#-with-your-head attitude.

Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I will be hugely dissapointed if UU goes to being a 3rd party subscription service, and the individual shards get shut down. I think that'll lose 99% of what UU is all about. And honestly, that move3 doesn't seem very Cyan-ish. Now, if 3rd party management+subscription=new Cyan made/approved content, then that's be a whole 'nother ball of wax.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Announcements All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: