The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Cheating but not spoilers
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopy
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Cheating but not spoilers Reply with quote

I posted a discussion on URU Obsession about cheating and the response was great and funny. I have found that cheating is imperative and very annoying - what did we do before the internet - and buying walkthrough books was a no no. I hate, hate, hate to cheat as i feel that i have failed and it also means that the game finishes quicker. Sad

I have made a promise to not cheat at any point in the Myst V EOA i just hope that it will not be as bizarre as POTS. Confused

I think that it would be important to have a discusion group after the release of Myst V and buddy up to stop ourselves cheating. What do you all think Question
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheating but not spoilers Reply with quote

loopy wrote:
I have made a promise to not cheat at any point in the Myst V EOA i just hope that it will not be as bizarre as POTS. Confused

I believe I made that same promise with every consecutive Myst game since Riven, but have always failed in one way or another.

Some logical connections are just too convoluted to come up with on your own in a relatively short amount of time. Razz Gotta love these games though.
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Cheating but not spoilers Reply with quote

Daedalus wrote:
I believe I made that same promise with every consecutive Myst game since Riven, but have always failed in one way or another.

I'm right there with you Daed. Crying or Very sad

loopy wrote:
I think that it would be important to have a discusion group after the release of Myst V and buddy up to stop ourselves cheating. What do you all think

I think I would end up standing at the front of the room saying "Hi. My name's Jaharen and I'm a Myst cheater" Crying or Very sad
MOULa KI: #10750831
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here. When my mom and I played Riven, we didn't have net access, so we cheated by calling the hint line. And it was then that I learned always to close doors behind me. lol.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
loopy
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 7:14 pm    Post subject: stand up and be counted Reply with quote

Yes i agree it would be just like a Myst addiction group.

I play all the series with my best pal. I am the controller and she is the watcher. I am a social worker and she is a clinical psychologist and so our thought process work very well together however, we have played SCHIZM and had absolutely no idea that you had to bring along the other character to achieve a goal. Cheating i am afraid is normal, but i think that we must really, really, really try not to cheat (or at least not use walkthroughs) for the final instalment in September.

Do you agree Wink
PS - How on earth do you up load or down load your Avatar please Question Confused
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Schizm was okay. I had to use two notebooks to keep track of my progress since you did have to play two different characters.

In order to use an avatar, you open up your profile and use the avatar controls at the very bottom to link your profile to a pic on another website. I could host your pic on my server if you don't have anywhere else to host it. Let me know. Shorah!
loopy
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2005 5:14 pm    Post subject: Oh HELP ME Reply with quote

Shocked I do understand what you are saying but Most British users have little understanding of what you are telling me. I am extreamily stupid (well a novice) when it comes to the internet and attachments even make me break out in a cold sweat. I am 38 years old and i am totally ashamed, infact i have only had a digital camera since Dec and it took me 2 weeks to understand how to open it Embarassed . I learnt 4 weeks ago how to attach digital photos to an email and send them to my Dad. He is 78 years old and he had to tell me how to do it (well he is a Doctor and I am a Social Worker). I do learn quickly and so you will have to be kind and patient with me if that is OK so I would appreciate any assistance you could offer.

Thanks Very Happy
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe I made that same promise with every consecutive Myst game since Riven

Yes, me too. I haven't cheated on Uru yet, except when I spent a week on Gahreesehn and found that I couldn't go back down the elevator, and when I tried linking out and back in the linking stone made me return to the place above the elevator. I finally asked someone if I had screwed myself over somehow, and discovered that books have multiple pages, and that I was able to turn back a page and link into the rotating fortress so I could turn on power to both the elevators, not just one. So I'm concerned I may have cheated by asking for help and then the person told me a bit more than I needed to know, like that I needed to draw power to both elevator. Although technically I think I could have just linked out and in again anytime I wanted to access the rotating fortress...
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2005 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a quote from a TV show I saw the other day: "Is it cheating if I cheated but I didn't mean to cheat?"
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I"d like to think that I haven't "cheated" yet...

I've asked other players for 'nudges' a handful of times, but just enough for me to arrive at the solution myself.

However, I am SORELY tempted to find some on-line cheat for Revelation... yes, I'm still playing it.

I'm pretty sure I'm near the Endgame... i'm in the dreamscape and trying to organize snippets of a conversation with visual cues... and every time I think i have it... i'm nowhere.

But I agree... playing with a buddy makes a lot of sense. Count me in!

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CuzinJohn wrote:

I've asked other players for 'nudges' a handful of times, but just enough for me to arrive at the solution myself.

But I agree... playing with a buddy makes a lot of sense. Count me in!

Ditto for me! It is much more fun playing with a bud sitting beside you in front of the monitor screen, or "on screen" during URU online. When we'd get stuck, we'd take turns coming up with solutions to the puzzles. Sharing in the excitement of discovery and, in retrospect, belly laughing at our thought processes... well, let's just say that cheating would rob us of all that and more!
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never thought about playing with a buddy. That's a really good idea! Let's hope we can play EoA in window mode so we can have an IM open at the same time.
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaharen wrote:
I never thought about playing with a buddy. That's a really good idea! Let's hope we can play EoA in window mode so we can have an IM open at the same time.

YEAH! what he said!

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the first three Myst games with a buddy over the phone! Shocked He was looking at his monitor and I was looking at mine. We were destined for Uru. Sadly, we never got to meet there but once. Crying or Very sad
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2005 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moiety Jean wrote:
Same here. When my mom and I played Riven, we didn't have net access, so we cheated by calling the hint line. And it was then that I learned always to close doors behind me. lol.

I remember looking for the last journey cloth in the Cleft, and suddenly knowing exactly where it was.

Closing doors to open new ones is a Cyan trademark. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: