The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Words :: Section Two

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 7:32 pm    Post subject: Words :: Section Two Reply with quote

Quote:
Do not trust the sons of the burdened one.
They will seek comfort in their books.
This is the warning of the fall.
Do not seek comfort in your books.
When destruction comes, other ages will not save you.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if this refers to Atrus's sons Achenar and Sirrus. Atrus is referred to by Yeesha in her Bahro speeches as the 'burdened one'.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2004 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Section Two Reply with quote

Quote:
Do not trust the sons of the burdened one.
They will seek comfort in their books.

In most of the references to Myst, I am quite sure "the burdened one" is Atrus, for he has been referred to as this in the past. It was once his burden to save Riven, for instance, as it was that he also thought he had to restore D'ni before realizing perhaps Rehleeshan was the better choice.

He has also needed to confront evils in many forms (Gehn, his sons, the beliefs of the Terahnee), so it is he who is burdened.

Of course it is Atrus's sons that decide to place themselves in power in his ages.

Quote:

I think "the fall" is always referring to the fall of D'ni, in that many of those that escaped to other ages still had to face the disease that spread either through the living or dead that linked to those ages after the poison spread.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Section Two Reply with quote

Daedalus wrote:

Quote:

I think "the fall" is always referring to the fall of D'ni, in that many of those that escaped to other ages still had to face the disease that spread either through the living or dead that linked to those ages after the poison spread.

Yes like you say, the fall is the fall of D'ni and nope no one was guranteed safety, even in their private ages or common ages that everyone could link to. As Vevois and A'Gaeris went round the city picking up the diseased bodies and pressing the dead hands to the linking panels of all the books they could find, and so passing the disease through to these Ages.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it interesting how the Watcher compared the fall of D'ni to the brothers' betrayal. For some reason I never put that connection together.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No I had never put that connection together either. Its an interesting connection though, inhabitants of the Ages that Atrus had written thought they were safe and happy, that Sirrus and Achenar would be like their father, respectful and honest. I guess they were in the beginning, but soon changed everything. I think the Mechanical Age really shows how the brothers saw themselves and how they wanted people to see them. Sirrus, or is it Achenar (I can never remember now), in the painting like an Imperial Emperor (which of course is a real painting, but with Sirrus's head), all the instruments of torture.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found the note in Achenar's cache rather ironic -- "Your greed sickens me! I'll instruct my subjects not to pay your new tax..." -- almost trying to justify what they're doing there. If Sirrus's greed made Achenar hate his brother, then how did Achenar view himself? I guess he didn't think it was wrong to have a torture chamber Razz
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2004 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool I forgot about that note, and I've just recently replayed RealMyst as well Laughing

Like you say Achenar's note is just really warped, he's instructing his people not to pay Sirrus's taxes, but yet he has torture instruments and that side room with the cage and the switch you can pull that releases an electrical charge. I didn't like that at all. I found that whole Mechanical Age very creepy and the music just added to those feelings.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> D'ni Research All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: