The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

A Call to Action
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kyven
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great Prof!

I managed to convince three of my teachers to let me show off Uru during class on Monday.
Kehrin
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, Professor, that's totally awesome!!!

Smile
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is excellent news professor Very Happy
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've included label designs at the vigilante sight. I think they look darn good. Paper sleeves take up less room in the box but I still prefer the super-thin jewel cases. Looks more professional. Plus, they've got those nice designs....as well as cd labels.

I'm glad to hear you volunteer for some of those CDs, Eric. Already my hint wasn't wasted. Wink I'm probably gonna run out and grab a hundred but I imagine I'll go through those pretty quick. Any additionals would be greatly appreciated. I'll keep at it through the summer and fall as money permits. I might hit a computer show....they've always got those things in bulk.

On a different note.....UruCube, over at UO, asked if they (Midtown Comics) could show a film loop.....we're still discussing what that means in terms of availability. I indicated that they have the capability but it would be doubtful they'd put it to use for Uru because it wouldn't be to their advantage. However, I said...if we could get Rand Miller out to Midtown for an Uru day of signing, that would be a different story. Midtown Comics hosts signings all the time...and not always for comic books per se.

Discuss.
Kehrin
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we could set up a contribution thing at Pay Pal so that some of us who don't have access to that kind of publicity could help fund your efforts, Professor.

It's not a comic, but the new book, the reprint of the Myst novels, maybe Rand could sign that?

Smile
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kehrin wrote:
Maybe we could set up a contribution thing at Pay Pal so that some of us who don't have access to that kind of publicity could help fund your efforts, Professor.

Smile

That's a great idea Kehrin
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. you definately have the distribution angle, Professor.

I had created a handful of drop-CDs as well. As for labels, I just used the design of the dropcards...

A big POTS logo on a full-CD label (one that covers up most of the halo around the spindle hole as well as the surface of the CD) and the phrase "Like to Explore?" under it, then the URL under that, only a bit smaller. the center of the Shell spiral wraps around the spindle hole, so there's no break in the logo. The plain white label and the plain white sleeve make the black bold text really stand out.

Dang... was gonna snap off and post a pic, but the batteries in the digicam are dead. Once I charge them up, I'll come back and edit.

I've left them in a few places... bookstore shelves, coffee shop tables, I took perverse pleasure in hiding a few in a display box of AOL CD's... but if you can get Rand to do a signing, not only would I be impressed, but I'd be there as well!

3 cheers for guerilla advertising!

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Kehrin: It's not a comic, but the new book, the reprint of the Myst novels, maybe Rand could sign that?

That and........the games? Midtown Comics isn't in the business of selling games for the PC but IF Rand ever agreed to such a thing, then I'm sure they could sell tPotS and CC at the event.
Kehrin
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, now that would just be too cool!!!

Smile
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
I just got some great news. Really. I just spoke with one of the managers at my local comic book store and asked if it would be alright if I left a small box of the vigilante Uru CDs on the counter.

That is most excellent Professor! Way to go Smile That kind of exposure and free advertising is just what the vigilante marketing campaign needs. I'm going to try and do the same thing with Hastings here on the north side of Spokane. It's always a very busy place and hopefully the manager will be open minded enough to allow it.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 06, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric L wrote:
Heck, if you can get that kind of exposure, I'll burn the CD's and ship them to you, Professor! Did anyone come up with a label design for the CD's? Hmmm... I might also needs to find a cheap source for jewel cases, unless we want to just put them in sleeves...

I have two different versiouns I've been making. One is the cd's with the nice labels in plain white slevees, and then I've printed out the text of the jewel case insert and glued it to the back of the sleeve. It works well, for the ones that are being handed out in bulk (but dear ghu cd labels are *expensive*.)

The jewel cases I've reserved for more formal presentations, like the ones I'm sending to Cyan, and the ones I've given to local libraries.

One thing I realized I don't have anywhere, and I should have included, is the game rating. I'll try to get the inserts modified tonight to have that info.

Oh, and just so you know... my mind is boggling about the CD being available in Times Square. woah...

Eric L
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleri wrote:
(but dear ghu cd labels are *expensive*.)

You got that right. I'm fresh out at the moment, but I've got a few to distribute. I wish I could say that money is no object, but I won't quite be there until next week.

Professor, are you still wanting me to send burned CD's your way?

Eric
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not yet, Eric. I just picked up my first 100 CDs this weekend....along with labels and sleeves.

I've got a more more immediate concern....I can't seem to get my hands on the files. I've downloaded BitTorrent but I can't seem to connect to peers for the actual file. I've downloaded both versions of the iso file and when I try to connect for the actual download it stays a 0% downloaded "searching for peers".

There's a very good possibility I don't know what I'm doing. Perhaps I need a step by step how-to. Can somebody please help me out here so I can get to work on real marketing?

Thanks.
Eric L
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2004 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's okay with Eleri, I'm willing to mirror the file on urutapestry.com.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 08, 2004 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eric L wrote:
If it's okay with Eleri, I'm willing to mirror the file on urutapestry.com.

Is fine with me Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: