The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Cavern Map

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 8:58 am    Post subject: Cavern Map Reply with quote

From Cyan's Website, interactive Cavern Map:

Cavern Map

Last edited by NSymon on Tue Jan 09, 2007 12:52 pm; edited 2 times in total
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The person who scanned that map a while back, it was originally in four parts. Original map may still be in the Cyan building in Mead, WA.... the best one available to explorers is in FMtR.

I don't think Aitrus's map would be of much use to explorers. There was something about the caverns, though.
Xptql
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooooh!! Now that is a very large, very shiny map! I like!

Now, this is some very interesting stuff. Looks like the underground all around the cavern is a real warren of paths and crossways. Having no D'ni language at all, I cannot even begin to decipher these, but I can still look at the pretty pictures!

Now, you can clearly see The City on it's island in the center of the lake there, but there appears to be another settle area odd to one side of the lake, Neighbourhoods perhaps?

Another thing of note to me are the lines radiating from the side of the map and all of them angle down to the city, and meet in it. Perhaps these lines are originating from the great zero?

Also are the images that are numbered, these numbers also seem to appear on the map here and there. Perhaps it is some way to mark particular points of interest along the way, landmarks maybe?

Any one else have any thoughts on these? And also, has anyone translated this map yet? And if not, that may be a project for some people to take on!
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I never understood- why did the D'ni build that bridge over the pit, where Atrus nearly died on his first trip to D'ni? It seems quite uncharacteristic, particularly considering the importance of that particular road.
Xptql
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another excellent resource, with translations to boot! This is good stuff. I wonder if we will ever have the chance to attempt the path. I suggest an exploratory team should be sent down there. But I kinda doubg the DRC would be okay with that... Ah well, perhaps one day we can see this.
Advokat
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The map shows a D'ni watch dividing the D'ni "day" into 5 segments. Compare that to the Neighborhood clock.

Examine the angle measurements in D'ni numbers. Compare the first of three or first two of four digits to the numbers around the Great Zero.
Kam Uraki
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, AWESOME post Far. I'm finding this fascinating. I've always been an amatuer cartographer.
KiKi
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Thank You So Much Far!!! I was looking for a bigger view of that map!!! I really appreciate it!!!!
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Nalates
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: D'ni Ae'gura City Steet Map Reply with quote

Effort is being made to map the Uru City of D'ni and Ages. A couple of maps are presenlty (1/17/04) available here: http://www.cates-associates.net/natmaps.html

This page was put up just to get the maps online.Embarassed As more work is done and provided there is interest, this will become a web site for Uru maps.

Also, the grid system on the map is not DRC approved. A Universal Coordinate System (DUCS) is supposedly in the works. The KI version 2.0 has provisions for the display of D'ni coordinates. Once the DUCS has DRC approval I'll revise the coordinates on the map.
Nalates
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UO is going to add the Futographer series of maps in their Library. So the above web site may not be needed. Also, it may be temporary.

The official thread for this info is http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index.php?s=7fd716fd0c200dd50bc04aa63de478d6&act=ST&f=35&t=4046&st=60&#entry64893
Camann
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I must admit that I have never timed how long one of the numbers shifts from one to the next but the clocks in the hoods CAN'T be correct... Each day is divided into 5 equal parts "gar-tah-vo-tee" and those into 25 "tar-vo-tee"... Could someone with more patience time how long it takes the numbers to move from one to the next? It should take about 14.5 minutes to be correct and spin 5 times every 30 hours and 14 minutes.
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A good conversion factor I think would be 31556925 seconds per hahr, 675 second difference from earth year..... Leefo 1, 9655, 0:0:0:0 = April 21, 1999, 8:24:03 PST. But I imagine that they might not stick to real-time in the cavern....
Maharet
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of maps, Futographer has done an excellent job:
http://www.cates-associates.net/natmaps.html
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camann wrote:
Ok, I must admit that I have never timed how long one of the numbers shifts from one to the next but the clocks in the hoods CAN'T be correct... Each day is divided into 5 equal parts "gar-tah-vo-tee" and those into 25 "tar-vo-tee"... Could someone with more patience time how long it takes the numbers to move from one to the next? It should take about 14.5 minutes to be correct and spin 5 times every 30 hours and 14 minutes.

Someone at the DRC forum timed the clock and found it takes indeed around 30 hours for the clock to rotate once. The "gar-tah-vo-tee" are yellow, orange, blue/grey line segments above and below the D'ni numbers, each spanning 5 of the D'ni numbers. These divided the D'ni "day" into 5 segments with different brightness of the algae in the lake, so you could compare them to our idea of "morning", "afternoon", "evening", "night". The numbers on the clock are what the D'ni called "bells", for example they would say "We meet at 9th bell" (Book of Ti'ana).
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

New working links to the Cavern map that I've been meaning to post:

D'ni Map

Guild of Cartographers Translated Map
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> D'ni Research All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: