The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

What about other shard?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thanakar
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: What about other shard? Reply with quote

Things seem to get getting pretty well organized on Atrus but what about Katran and other shards as they come online?
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a good point and I have no idea how were going to work around that. I have enough trouble keeping up with my own avatar on the Atrus shard, that creating more characters for myself on other shards would turn into a giant headache for myself. One character is enough for me.
Vandel
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here, I'm good with just Atrus myself.
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How many people are there on Katran who want to hear our message in the first place? I know that most people there joined during the clerical error, so they haven't seen much of Phil, Sharper, or the DRC at all. It seems like they would, by and large, lack the frame of reference that gives our message an impact.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mainly focusing on Atrus right now...

Maybe if we were to ever get enough people, it might be something to look into.

I honestly don't know...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to agree with Jon, I think we could expand to other shards in the future especially when prologue is over. I anticipate that the story will be universal across all shards.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spreading the message on Katran would be great, but I can't help but wonder if the division of shards would affect it. Would it be hard to feel like a whole when we are in separate instances? What do you guys think?
Thanakar
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daedalus wrote:
Spreading the message on Katran would be great, but I can't help but wonder if the division of shards would affect it. Would it be hard to feel like a whole when we are in separate instances? What do you guys think?

How big do you want thisbe? Does it matter that the explorers on Katran were let in due to a clerical error, they are still explorers and they are in the Cavern.

Don't you think it would be unfair to the Katran explorers if an organization that is supposed to represent everyone in the Cavern was limited only to one shard? They are part of the Cavern too.
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanakar wrote:

Don't you think it would be unfair to the Katran explorers if an organization that is supposed to represent everyone in the Cavern was limited only to one shard? They are part of the Cavern too.

I totally think they should be involved. I was just curious about how the community may be split because of the separate instances. I would hope we could all meet here regardless of shards, but events may be harder to coordinate. Definitely something to think about.
Xptql
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to think of Katran as sort of another universe, where-in not all the events in Atrus have necesarilly occured. And in that way I sorta feel that they need to develop their own storyline, and their own groups. People on Atrus have just generally been around longer and may know things that never happened on Katran. So maybe we should let them create their own group, maybe it will be like the GT, but since most of us seem to be used tot he Atrus shard, I recommend we focus on it.
albertbowen
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject: Each shard a branch in itself? Hmm... Reply with quote

Ironically, I've thought about this as well...let's hope as bugs get squashed and more server power is brought to bear, only one shard will be needed. (But can all players cram onto one shard? We have population limits now.)
This highlights the need for all pertinent meetings and such to be logged and presented on a central website, it would be a shame if the Katraners miss out on the unfolding story.

--Grinch

Pay no attention to the man behind the keyboard...
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with X on this one: Katran is another universe. At best I can imagine someone who already exists in the two shards, and who can represent the GT, starting up in Katran and perhaps getting a Katran-only group going, filling them in on anything they're missing, pointing towards forums, etc. But, a full-time crossover could be exhausting for anyone. And what happens when a third or fourth shard is created? Yikes! Shocked Maybe someday, somehow, the shards will be intercommunicable. (Did I just make up a word?)
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
Maybe someday, somehow, the shards will be intercommunicable. (Did I just make up a word?)

http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=intercommunicable

Wink
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they were to instead put certain areas on certain servers, and transfer the explorer from one server to other at point of crossing, that might work better than shards maybe.

At the moment I guess there is a definite difference in people and their progresses in the shards. Generally the newer players are Katran and the more well-progressed players are Atrus. The difference might grow with this third shard CyanBill speaks of.
Xptql
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read from the interview with CyanBill and other places the Shards were always meant to be completely seperate, that was in fact the whole point of having shards in the first place. So it looks like they are probably gonna stay seperate. And I think we should try and not bleed them into each other, as it were.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: