The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

D'ni Prophecy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 2:54 pm    Post subject: D'ni Prophecy Reply with quote

I was just reading the D'ni Prophecies from 'The Book of D'ni' and this one caught my eyes:

From The Visions of Jo'irimah. Canto 157
"Descending the great ladder of time. We see four faces. The faces of four women. Aged and dead the first two are. The third, a dreamer. The last, a teacher."

I'm assuming the four women would be: Tasera, Ti'ana, Catherine and Yeesha?
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what I thought, although the first could either be Aitrus' mother or Atrus'- you never know.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jon

Yeah I agree and was thinking the same that it could either be Aitrus's mother Tasera or his grandmother, but I think all we know is that is grandfather is called Gehn, I haven't come across any mention of his grandmother's name. Unless anyone else has?
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I meant, either Tasera or Evil Ghen's wife- I don't recall her name.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I mis-read what you said Smile I know who mean, Keta I think. There is a small clip in the Riven game of her speaking.
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is interesting, just yesterday I was looking over the Book of Ti'ana and I saw this, and I remembered, when I read this a while back, that it was generally assumed by everyone, including me, that the fourth woman was Marrim.... there was no other woman after Catherine in the picture, at that time.

And then I thought, wait, could it be Yeesha? Then I dismissed this because Yeesha was just a child at the end of the volume, and after all, Marrim was a teacher of the young people back in her homeworld of Averone.

The prophecy speaks of descending the 'ladder of time'. The person who writes this seems to have been passing through time sequentially, i.e. early to late, because it starts with two women being aged and dead--and those are typical of the older generations, no? The second two are a dreamer and a teacher, respectively, but the teacher is likely a younger generation than a dreamer, because of the order of things. Hmmm.

Outside the looking glass, though, the Book of Marrim was likely in conception stages right then, and so Cyan would have been more focused on her, I think. The Book of D'ni was published less than a year after the beginning of the production of Uru, so perhaps Cyan had not even 'discovered' Yeesha's 'significance' in the coming times.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Book of Marrim? I'm not familiar with this. Is it a book due out for release? Question
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2004 1:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it is the next one due to be published, but it is decidedly on the back burner right now because of Uru. I think you can find more anout it at mystcommunity.
KnightShayde
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cold it be both??
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
Book of Marrim? I'm not familiar with this. Is it a book due out for release? Question

Jon wrote:
Yes, it is the next one due to be published, but it is decidedly on the back burner right now because of Uru.

OK... they need to think about moving the book up to the front burner... I've re-read my other 3 so often I've almost got them committed to memory... ALMOST...

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KnightShayde
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you mean ALMOST>....you slacker!!!1

Very Happy
however i too would like to see that book..and others (would be great for breathing new blood into the myst AND uru forums...(IMO)

also wouldnt mind a "book of GHEN' a twisted mind to be sure...but then by reading his story we find out why he turned out the way he did (hints of it from BOD.)
strangely enought..(and others migt think it odd of me)...i also wouldnt mind seeing another book ...one from one of the "supporting" chars who were pure Dni from the BoA and BoD series..perhaps that one fellow who appreard in both? (young man working with Atrius Sr...and then was the hermit on the ilse in the age Atruis Jr met...?? get the WHOLE story of events leading up to ..and post the fall...from a diffrent perspective..but thats jsut me....
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would be interested in reading a lot more about Gehn, when he disappeared from the Cleft, his wife Keta. I think we get quite a lot about Gehn and how he became the person we see in Riven. At the age of five he feels abandoned by his mother when he joins the Guild of Books just before the Fall of D'ni, even though Ti'ana didn't want him to join, Aitrus insisted that it was the way of D'ni. He's bullied at the Guild by fellow students for being half-D'ni. The loss of his father, the loss of his wife while giving birth to Atrus. All these events just adding up and turning Gehn into what we see. But I'm guessing as well that there is a lot more that happened that we don't know of.

Stories of various other characters in the D'ni universe would be interesting to read as well, a different perspective on the events that we know of.
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an additional thing, and a contributor to gehn's god-complexity:

while gehn was in the guild, a guildsman from the guild of ink-makers came to them, talking about linking in a way that sounded a LOT like creating the worlds...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KnightShayde
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"and what is it that BURNS the links to bridge the worlds".....THE INK!!! the children said as one...
"and what binds the words the ink burns....and makes them as a world?"

THE BOOK the chlildren ansered...
"(so this is why his father insisted he go to guild ghen thought to himself...Secrets...he was going to learn secrets..and the universe would yeild those secrets to him....ghen thought as he fell assleep in his bunk...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> D'ni Research All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: