The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

My ExPack 1 Journal - Mild Spoilage

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guild Master LaReh
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:04 pm    Post subject: My ExPack 1 Journal - Mild Spoilage Reply with quote

“D’ni and Beyond” by Guild Master LaReh

It had been weeks since I last visited Relto. I had returned to the surface, as all we explorers had, via my link to the Cleft. I found much solace in the company of others who felt the same grief at the closing of the Restoration.
We were keeping in touch via chat rooms and web boards, which were all very nice but ultimately a poor substitute for the personal fellowship we had experienced below the surface. But, all things must pass, and so did our time there. Whispers began to grow among the community. That mysterious last KI message from Zandi and the coordinates it held continued to haunt us all. Certain explorers had returned to their Reltos and not returned. The DRC’s web site hinted at Douglas Sharper’s decision to remain in the Cavern. If Sharper was there, maybe the others were with him! And maybe, there was room for me……

I returned to the Cleft and found little changed. Having only ever been there alone before this, it was uneventful, emotionally. Taking a deep breath, I placed my hand on the linking panel of the book on my waist and linked to Relto…………

The light breeze felt warm on my face and the familiar sights and sounds were welcoming. The waterfall’s roar, the sight of my Relto tree still tall and proud, the sticks and stones still where I last left them, were all pleasing to behold. The things that were obviously missing, however, were disturbing.
With the closing of the Cavern, many previously collected Relto pages had ceased to function. They would need to be found again. Entering the hut was a bit of a shock. Seeing no Nexus book was disconcerting at best. We all knew that the initial Ages we explored had been stripped of their terminals, but never expected this Nexus book absence in Relto to be a consequence of that action, but it seems to be the end result. Turning toward the other bookcase, however, led to excitement……..there was a new journal there! Opening the book, I could see the familiar handwriting of Yeesha, and reading her musings on Ae’Gura and Bevin were beguiling (as usual) but also hopeful. If the Neighborhood Book on the opposite shelf still worked, then return to the city would indeed be possible if the Nexus terminal there was still intact.
I checked the other Books first. All of my city balcony links and other bookmarks were still there. A comforting thought in case they were ever needed sometime in the future. As I lifted the latch for the Bevin book and began to link I wondered what would await me there, both physically and emotionally. I would soon enough know.
With that all-too-familiar lurching, I found myself standing once more in Bevin. It is wonderful to be here. I jumped into the fountain with joy, splashing like a two-year old. I ran up to the Community Center and found a
Voice message there from Zandi. So strange to hear him speaking as if the Restoration was still ongoing, this message was obviously recorded before the decision to leave the Cavern was made. Searching the rest of Bevin was a jumble of conflicting emotions. Seeing the Heek table smashed in was terrible but a reminder of just how serious the structural instability was down here. Maybe I should look for a stray DRC hard hat before proceeding beyond this Age.
The bulletin board which registered the comings and goings of visitors showed a recent visit from Doug Sharper! He had been here twice in recent days, with other familiar explorers names listed below him on prior days.
There ARE others down here! Whether or not we meet up remains a mystery but it is comforting to know that I’m not totally alone.

I was delighted to find the “Islands” Relto page in the Light Garden whose controls on the bridge above were still functional as well.
A serious level of melancholy began to set in as I remembered the many social interactions held here and just how much I missed everyone. The drone of the cavern fans above was pleasantly distracting as I continued on.
The classroom open but the “Egg Room” locked, curious at best. I headed to the Book Room and with great joy found the Nexus terminal intact with its book. I slid my left hand into the registration slot and both the terminal and my long-dormant KI sprang to life. I paused and then pressed my hand to the linking panel. Back in the Nexus area, I activated the main terminal and was surprised to see only two names listed there, the Ferry Terminal and Bevin. The remotely activated functionality of the KI would be greatly limited from now on it seemed, and the various city stops would need to be reregistered at some point. I clicked on Ferry and off I went.

When I could next see clearly there it was…….the Arch. The sounds of the harbor water and the impressive sight of Kerath’s Arch were always breathtaking and that had thankfully not changed. I dashed to my left, through the hallway and smiled at the Teledahn link stone. Seeing it there I knew that my dock would soon be restored. I linked through, collected that Relto page and then linked back to Relto.

There on the bookshelf, right where it belonged, was my Nexus book. I returned to the Ferry Terminal and bolted up the stairs.
Approaching the first upper landing, my heart sank……barriers! The DRC must have imposed them before their departure. The sympathy I initially felt for them upon the Cavern’s closing was waning fast. Why did they have to put the barriers back? If they can’t be here, no one can? I could feel my blood pressure rising but remembered that where there’s a will, there’s a way. After all, I WAS back in Ae’Gura, if I could get this far, there must be a way to beat this.
Who could blame me for being emotional though? The sights, sounds, and smells of the now-vacant city were emotionally intoxicating. (Yeah, like a rollercoaster………up, down, happy, sad……..wohba! Don’t stand up and hit the bar!)
Mmmmm…….the bar, have to check there later too. Wink
Suddenly I remembered Sharper……he had been in Bevin only days ago.
I linked back to Relto and opened my book of city links. There….my link to his City Office was still there. It was high time to see if he was available.

Empty. No Sharper. At least he finally got rid of that scraggly Christmas tree….LOL. A quick glance around and I spied a new journal on his desk.
I rushed over to read it but in one way I wish I hadn’t. Our worst fears of the past few months have been realized. Phil Henderson is dead. Doug’s writings convey his own sorrow but also his desire to continue Phil’s
Mission of a different type of Restoration. Yeesha’ s way.
Doug is here, he has remained behind. This is at last good news. I should eventually cross his path. He speaks of a “spy room” and the Teledahn slave caves in the same breath, almost giving the reader a clue as to its location. This I HAVE to try.
Using the linking book back to Teledahn, I climb down the ladders beneath the hut and run down the pipe to the slave caves. (This place never ceases to give me the creeps.) I arrange the floor plates with weights in the order needed to align with his suggestion and there………an opening in the wall beyond the second gate revealing a hidden linking book! This is getting exciting now!
As quickly as I can, I run back out and up to the hut, then out and around the back side of the area, past the Bahro Cave door then back outside and around to the exit of the slave caves area. Soon I am facing the open shelf with this new book and I cautiously link through.
Spy room indeed! He was spying on the DRC! Wow! From this vantage point and through a telescope there he could watch them at work in their Tokotah office. Did he read their lips too while they talked? An easel is visible showing what appears to be an overhead view of the Neighborhood area that includes the Light Garden switches. And who is Bob O’Goobo? Another DRC member? This is starting to bother me but I continue to investigate. A new hat, a linking book back to Teledahn, and A RELTO BOOK! But whose? It can’t be Doug’s, he must still be using his. Oh well, away I go again.

It’s Phil’s. The DRC jersey and a notebook of his writings confirm this.
The sky here seems to be in a perpetual state of night. I remember Yeesha telling me that my Relto would become a reflection of my soul. Does the seemingly permanent evening sky reflect Phil’s peace in passing over, or is it a statement from the Relto itself? Does the Age grieve for its owner? I will always wonder.
I stop for a moment of silence in memory of Phil. The emotion is nearly overwhelming.
Returning to the hut, I examine his FULL bookshelf. Holy Toledo! The DRC were seriously holding out on us! All but one book is locked in its place. A Neighborhood book, who’s linking panel shows a slightly different version of Bevin. Time for a look? You bet.

It is called Kirel. The DRC’s official ‘Hood. Mentioned in the final communiqués between them, I remember that there are linking stones hidden here somewhere. And my search begins….
As with Bevin, the classroom is open but the “Egg Room” shut tight.
Little else to see here except the subtleties of a different color scheme, for now anyway. I decide it’s time to try to find Sharper again., so it’s back to Relto and then a quick city link to his “Baron’s” City Office.

I’ve missed him again! But he was here since my last visit. He’s written more journal entries….He knows I’m here! Cool! He doesn’t know who I am, but he knows HE’s not alone down here either. Then my face drops….
He has written something that makes me easily decipher the key to opening the Kirel “Egg Room”. Bob O’Goobo indeed! I laugh out loud. Maybe the DRC weren’t all a bunch of stiffs after all!
I link back to Kirel, apply my knowledge and acquire the missing stones.
I now have full access to the city and also to the Observation Room adjacent to the Great Zero Courtyard. Linking into the city I see that Sharper continues to help me, all of the city barriers have been altered to allow me easy access. Now I have a choice, I can link to each city section via Nexus or link stone. Awesome!
I remember one of the last DRC messages from Victor Laxman concerning the calibration of the Great Zero. It seems now that I may be able to help with that as I continue my new journey. My melancholy appears to be lifting…being replaced by hope and the exploring spirit which drew me here in the first place. There is still so much to be done, so much to see…..the mystery of Zandi’s last KI message about the “path of the shell” and that set of coordinates. If I can calibrate the Great Zero, I should be able to find the coordinate site and see what happens from there. The ending is far from written and my part in this saga is far from over. What is next for me? Can you say “linking sound”? Sure you can………
Shorah,
Guild Master LaReh
Guild of Greeters
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I published this on the main site.

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is great. Nice to see you at the Great Tree, Lareh!! Now let me go check this out....
KnightShayde
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

very nice..and simlar to my own journy...(though i didnt read sharpers more recent entries till AFTEr i had foudn the great shaft LOL...

still sharpers around..and others too..perhaps phill is next?
i agree abou the "eternal night" of phils relto..even with the ?Sun/moon/ page in my relto..i still nver see the night even remotely similar to phil's retlo...questions questions questions...

and only one way to find the ansers.............. Twisted Evil
Guild Master LaReh
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks guys, it's great to be here too! Cool

.....and KS, I hear ya........ Twisted Evil muahahahaha
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of us have taken the journey with you Lareh and thanks for bringing back the fond memories. I think the hardest part for me was seeing the broken Heek table and imager in Bevin. That really brought the message home that the Cavern would be silent.

And welcome to The Great Tree! Glad to have you here on the forum.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> URU Expansions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: