The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Myst Revelation
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Myst Revelation Reply with quote

It's out, it's official, the next Myst game, titled 'Myst Revelation', the website launched. If you don't want to be spoilt, don't see Wink

Myst Revelation
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow.

I cannot believe the great fortune of Myst fans. This looks gorgeous!! Shocked
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watched the trailer now about a thousand times lol for any hint of what could be going on. We have Atrus, the brothers and what I'm guessing is Yeesha as a young girl. I wonder if the brothers have found a way back?

There's a lot of talk at the moment on the UO forum about Atrus burning the Red and Blue Books and Kehrin points this out in a thread here in this section as well. As RAWA has already said, by burning the books you don't destroy the Age, you only erase the linking bridge. I think that's right? What if the link was re-written to the two worlds wherever Sirrus and Achenar are? And it looks to me from what I can see in the trailer that Yeesha (if it is Yeesha) is trapped in something, some kind of prison? You see a hand, then darkness as if a door is shutting on her. Her brothers? Lots of random thoughts at the moment Smile

Posted on IGN Game Site :

Quote:
April 05, 2004 - Ubisoft announced today they will release the newest title in the best-selling Myst franchise, Myst IV Relevation, this fall. This should be sweet news for all you Myst fans. Not only do you get a bunch of new puzzles set in the ancient civilization of D'ni, but you don't even have to wait that long for it.

"We are excited to announce Myst IV Revelation and proud that it comes from our own Ubisoft Montreal studios," said Lauren Detoc, president of Ubisoft Inc.

"The game is simply a 'must-have' for Myst fans and will also appeal to new players. The storyline is very suspenseful, the puzzles are compelling, and the music, produced by Jack Wall in partnership with Peter Gabriel, will create an unparalleled experience."

The story in Myst IV Revelation will center on a family torn apart by the disappearance of a young girl. The game will launch for the PC and Mac, with possible ports heading over to select consoles.

Look fort Myst IV Revelation to land on store shelves sometime this fall. Until then, check out the screenshots on the media page.

The screenshots are the same as the one's displayed on the Myst Revelation site.

And another link provided by Gadren over at the UO Forum:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/504/504229p1.html
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hear the Wachowski brothers are going to sue for copyright infringement. .....Well, no, actually. I was just trying to make a joke.

Myst Revelations looks like a great game, though I do hope there's more to this than just going from age to age on a rescue mission, like the others. Like, something connecting Yeesha to her present Writing talent and subsequent ostracization from her society. Also, I hope the brothers aren't really back--I mean, one of the key guiding rules of the Art is that once you destroy the Descriptive Book, there's an infinitely small chance of you ever linking back to the same Age. Even if you wrote the exact same symbols, I think. It might have something to do with the 'bond' between the Book and the Age it describes. It's odd that way. Actually, I could be wrong--maybe with the exact same symbols, the link can be reestablished. I don't know for certain. Though I imagine there's more to the art than just symbols and ingredients.... But, I can't imagine anyone stealing Atrus' old copy books that he used to design the prison books. Who would want to bring back the brothers? Yeesha, out of curiosity? I'd think he'd have destroyed them, too. The copybooks, I mean.

I haven't been able to view the trailer, unfortunately.
Kehrin
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's so highly unlikely that you could duplicate a descriptive Book, I don't think that is what happened in Revelation.

Perhaps Atrus only destroyed linking books in the Myst library, and preserved the descriptive Books under lock and key, although this is not what I understood happened.

If Atrus didn't destroy the descriptive Books, forever trapping his sons in their prisons so that they couldn't hurt anyone else ever, then for me the story of Myst is dramatically changed, and so is my understanding of Atrus' character.
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not knowing anything about the story of MYST REVELATIONS except what is conjectured in the forums, I'm not sure where to begin attempting to explain anything.

However, I know what I'd LIKE to see...

We already know that Yeesha has some unique talents when it came to the Art of Writing. I could see her, as a young child, being told of her older brothers, and her needing to satisfy her curiosity about them.

We've read before that Descrptive Books were massive tomes. Huge volumes not practically carried around, so my assumption was that the brothers' red and blue books in MYST were only Linking Books, of which there can be several for a single Descriptive Book. I can see Atrus destroying the red and blue linking books on MYST island, and possibly even altering the Descriptive Books to make the Ages practically unreachable... but I can't see him as the type to utterly destroy all links to his family.

So, curious little Yeesha comes along, and with her awesome skills of The Art and Writing, she works her way past the modifications dear ol' Dad made to the Descriptive Books holding her two brothers. They break loose, and attempt to exact revenge on Dad by taking his treasure away from him...

and so the game is afoot.

Just my two coppers... discuss amongst yourselves...

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What ever their content, I've already pre-ordered Myst Revelation, along with URU Myst: The Path of the Shell, and URU Myst: Complete Chronicle.

Release date is set for June 23 & September 1... Very Happy
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212

Last edited by Mystlander on Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mystlander

Where did you pre-order them if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"The story in Myst IV Revelation will center on a family torn apart by the disappearance of a young girl."

This might be something of a giveaway right here. After all, if you don't include Sirrus and Achenar, then 'family' would just mean Atrus and Catherine, and they don't seem like the type to be 'torn apart' by Yeesha's dissapearance (at least if my character judgements are at all acurate). Could there be someone else involved, perhaps, that entered the story after Releeshan was settled?
Kehrin
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, little "cousin" (honorary title) Anna, Marrim's daughter, was a little girl at the time. Marrim was Atrus' student, so she and her family could have visited Tomahna. But I still am inclined to think the child is Yeesha.

I really hope this isn't a Myst-in-reverse kind of thing where we have to guess which brother the child went to visit, so we can link to the correct Age and retrieve her.

Atrus better have a really, really, really good reason for not doing it himself, if you know what I mean. Wink
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Farlesis wrote:
Hi Mystlander

Where did you pre-order them if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks

You can preorder from Eletronic Botique... Here's the URL: EB Games Online
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Each of us has seen, and linked through, a "massive tome" descriptive book before. That's how you get to Riven; Atrus is writing frantically in the book at the end of Myst and the start of Riven, and only pauses to give you a moment to link through after explaining your mission. Presumably he keeps writing to hold the age together even while you are there.

Confirmed by RAWA here: http://www.dnidesk.com/rawalink98.html
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too have watched the trailer multiple times and I have a completely different theory. I don't know who the girl is, but Atrus and the sons look a lot younger. The only image of the girl is of her being pushed into a cell of some kind with a necklace. That's where she disappears to I would assume. I don't think that Cyan would be as boring as to have us time travel, but I think that this may be a prequel to Myst and have us see the brothers corrupt Atrus' Ages and destroy his books. That image of the golden sphere opening to reveal a red and blue book could be the actual discriptive books that the sons linked to originally. Atrus might have made them very difficult to get to to entice his sons to link into them. Should my theory be correct, I imagine that the story would be something like us finding one of Atrus' journals from that time period and have us discover the events from his eyes, from the journal's eyes. I may be way wrong on this, but at this point all we can do is theorize.
MOULa KI: #10750831
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some of what you say has definite merit, Jaharen. I agree that the red and blue books look like the actual descriptive books of the Prison Ages.

And there are a lot of questions regarding the good boys gone bad....like how and why?

I still lean toward sequel, not prequel, and that the girl is Yeesha, but you never know.

As far as the boys looking younger, I don't know about that. In Myst they had baby faces under that facial hair. Not so much now. Doesn't matter, though. New actors make the discussion moot.

If not Yeesha, who? And I don't mean a guess. Who have we met..? She's too young for Marrim. Yeesha's the only logical choice unless the girl's a new character (which is possible).

hehe....won't it be fun to find out? Smile
Jon
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it's probably Yeesha, if for no other reason than that everyone loves her now, and we're all interested in finding out more about her. I just don't want to count my desert birds before they hatch.

If it is Yeesha, then it would have to take place about ten years after Exile. What with all these visits, perhaps the Stranger has taken up residence on Releeshahn, or at least Tomahna, permanently. It's certainly starting to stretch the bounds of coincidence that wacky adventures materialize every time the Stranger shows up. Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Myst, Riven, Exile, Revelation, End of Ages All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: