The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

No more previews

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tokai
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 10:34 pm    Post subject: No more previews Reply with quote

I rather suspect that Cyan are – shall we say ‘slightly irritated’ by the hackers’ pre-viewing of future content via dormant files on our PCs (well – wouldn’t you be?). I imagine the programmers’ (as well as us explorers’) thoughts pre – shutdown were of optimistic views of things to come – we were pre-loaded with these flies for future encounters in our Prologue / online progress.

‘The best laid schemes for mice and men gang aft agley’ i.e. – Prologue’s demise - it didn't work out. There is no need for dormant files on a user’s PC waiting on execution via online progress. --- There is no Prologue anymore ---.

I think the first XPack will probably remedy this by introducing us to all the content we currently have stored on our PCs, an introduction to D'ni City proper and most likely a few extra bits like new hoods (utilising the hidden content we already have). I can't help feeling (rather pessimistically, I'm afraid) that we won't see any new ages until the second pack.

I further speculate there won’t be any more ‘previewing’ (for them that are inclined) as we simply won’t have the files (to hack?) – anything new will simply come from future packs.

On a happier note I would like to think that future updates would also enhance the ages we already have - a hidden Relto page here and there, or a previously barred door we could have access to. One gets the feeling that there is still a lot to 'tie-in' - so many red-herrings strewn about the ages that we currently have - I mean - there's got to be something behind that locked door - isn't there?

Just my thoughts - what say you?
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could hack into the dormant files. Anyone want to teach me how?
MOULa KI: #10750831
Tokai
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaharen, this isn’t the thread, or forum for that matter to discuss the details of hacking Uru. There are other websites not too far from here that cater for that sort of thing.

My advice is not to meddle with Uru files on your system - them that did, ended up having to do a clean install and complete the game all over again. They did get to see other places with limited success – but all agreed that a clean install is eventually needed in preparation for the Xpack (it appears that’s the price you pay).

You are well advised to leave your system as it is. You’ll get to see these places functioning as they should soon. Mid-March I believe, unless there is another postponement of the free download from Gigex.
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize it could affect the game that much. Thanks for the advice. I guess I'll just wait for the x-packs.
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tokai: Well I really believe that Cyan really doesn't care if we mess with the files as long as we don't try to reverse engineer them in such a way that they could possibly loose revenue on a future project. Yes, you do violate the EULA and so they are not responsible for any problems you might have in doing such mods. But if you want to take that responsibility, then it's your own business.

I've done the modifications listed on the Ubi forums, and thus have seen the inside of the Library and Museum. In a way though, it's in the spirit of the Great Tree. We are not always satisfied with the dogma of the DRC and their rules Smile

And notice I didn't use the term "Hacker" in my above references. I hate the way the term has been perverted over the years. At one time, a computer hacker was someone who wasn't satisfied with the limits of their PC, and went beyond what others thought was impossible. It was used as a term of endearment, not the Dark Side of the Force connotation it has today. At one time, Bill Gates was considered the ultimate hacker. So if I was making the kind of money he has made over the years, you could call me a hacker all you want Smile
Tehl Nava
Banned
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I vaguely remember portions of those days Ashtar. I prefer the term hacker too. It was fear of those who pushed the limits to a criminal extent that redefined the term. The original 'evil-hackers' we're given more harsh jail sentences than murderers at first (or so I recall).
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2004 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tehl Nava wrote:
I vaguely remember portions of those days Ashtar. I prefer the term hacker too. It was fear of those who pushed the limits to a criminal extent that redefined the term. The original 'evil-hackers' we're given more harsh jail sentences than murderers at first (or so I recall).

Yep, that's true Tehl. It was the association of criminal activities with the term "Hacker" that changed it's original meaning. The early true hackers were the ones who wrote new software such as Microsoft's "Basic", and designed revolutionary hardware, such as Steve Jobs with the Apple PC. They laid the foundation of the PC evolution as we know it today.
Jaharen
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I took the advice from other forums and "modified" my system and I got to see the fun stuff. Then I reinstalled, replayed, and am now anxiously awaiting X1.
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you truly wish to hack your game (as i have done...to a certain extant - just opeing up ae'gura to its live state), then might i suggest copying your entire uru folder? i did that, and i have 2 copies, one clean copy for the xpack and for my playing, and a second one for my hacking...

it DOES use a good deal of HD space, though, so it's not for everyone...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: