The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Right Now
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362 ... 373, 374, 375  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BladeLakem wrote:
janaba: It translates to 'Find a way. Make a ome.'

Cool ... Thank you ... Very Happy
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, wow, this is sad... http://mystmovie.com/2012/07/23/myst-opportunity/

Especially at the end of it, if you consider's Cyan's treatment of Adrian. Apparently Cyan is so desperate, that they've forgotten about courtesy and their ethic values.

Right now, that also explains this (happened a while ago):
http://mystmovie.com/2011/07/31/a-simple-notice/
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Phew ... what a day ... Razz

Right now I thank you, Erik, it was your post here after all which I found
in my mailbox in the morning and which lead me to Adrian's awesome, and
revealing statement ... I commented on this on the MOUL forums as most
of the community and refrain from reiterating myself here right now ...
I am also a bit tired lol ... Let's wait and see where this and everything is
all going now ... Smile

Thanks again, Erik, and I wish you and everybody stopping by here a great time
nonetheless ... I hope you're all well and getting along satisfactorily with your
lives and dreams ... Good night for now ... /wave ... Very Happy
Tomala
Uber Explorer
Uber Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How disappointing. Another case of "The Great Shaft"
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, just like it never happened: http://mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25855
Of course it's very convenient for Cyan that all criticism directed at them has disappeared as well.

Hopefully they are indeed working things out and hopefully that is in the benefit of Adrian, who should be rehabilitated in my opinion.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, looks like the Myst Movie blog has disappeared, too. Just comes up blank.

The success of the Myst movie franchise will not rely on fans of Myst in any way, shape, or form so these disappearing threads/discussions will have no impact whatsoever on whomever drives the project or its potential success or failure.

This is business. Don't think the progression of this project is that much different from any other major business projects...particularly in the movie industry.

I would be extremely surprised if Adrian was ever involved in this project again. For a number of reasons. And it didn't sound to me like he was cut out for this kind of business, anyway...I got that from reading his post. Producers are a tough bunch, they have to be to get things done. Adrian got taken advantage of because he let himself be taken advantage of. He was too trusting. He'll know better going forward. Everyone gets burned starting out...it's just too bad it took so much of his life for it to happen.

As far as everyone siding with Adrian against Cyan? Silly. Cyan Worlds has been hanging by a thread as a business since the end of Uru. They'll do what they have to do to regain their solvency and jumpstart their faded franchise (I believe it's still incredibly viable in the right hands). If Adrian and Patrick never shared with us what they did to make the Myst movie project happen, we'd be none the wiser. If we just woke up one day and learned that Warner Brothers was beginning production on a Myst movie, would we have said, "Great! Who did you step on to make it happen?" No, we would not. We would have said, "Great! Can't wait to see it. I hope they treat it with some dignity."

The Myst Movie blog was an honest attempt to communicate to Myst fans the progress of development. A nice idea but ultimately not a sound, business one. Judging by the huge gaps between entries, MFG thought so, too, maybe. Maybe if they'd aimed lower or smaller, by that I mean a smaller, independent picture, maybe tracking their progress would have made more sense. But once you bring it up to a Hollywood level, it gets a lot more complicated.

I wasn't going to respond to any of this. I mean, what does it matter in the long run? But I was surprised at the reaction of so many people who jumped on Adrian's bandwagon and spoke against Cyan Worlds who have brought us so much of their artistry and passion. I felt I just had to say something. So I wrote it here where only a handful of people will read it. LOL

My hope is that Cyan Worlds will find new life down the road and perhaps they'll be able to squeeze out at least one more adventure in D'ni. If they do, I'll be there. "But, Prof! Even at Myst Film Group's expense?" I say damn skippy. Do I feel badly for Adrian (and Patrick)? Absolutely. But, dammit! I want more D'ni! Do I want a badly watered down mish mash of Myst lore chock full of contemporary catch phrases and obligatory romance and other tired Hollywood cliches? Of course not. But like any adaptation of a beloved property (I'm thinking Watchmen, which could have been better but I didn't hate), we always cross our fingers and hope for the best. The Dark Tower is another adaptation that will tempt the wrath of rabid fans should that project continue. But the world has to learn the difference between the movies and their orginal sources. It's something Stephen King learned a long time ago (good books don't always make good movies). A bad Myst movie (from the perspective of fans) that earns oodles of money can only benefit those same fans.
Tweek
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
If we just woke up one day and learned that Warner Brothers was beginning production on a Myst movie, would we have said, "Great! Who did you step on to make it happen?" No, we would not. We would have said, "Great! Can't wait to see it. I hope they treat it with some dignity."

Some would have, as Cyan has stepped on a lot of people over the last few years unfortunately.

Professor Askew wrote:
I wasn't going to respond to any of this. I mean, what does it matter in the long run? But I was surprised at the reaction of so many people who jumped on Adrian's bandwagon and spoke against Cyan Worlds who have brought us so much of their artistry and passion. I felt I just had to say something. So I wrote it here where only a handful of people will read it. LOL

My hope is that Cyan Worlds will find new life down the road and perhaps they'll be able to squeeze out at least one more adventure in D'ni. If they do, I'll be there. "But, Prof! Even at Myst Film Group's expense?" I say damn skippy. Do I feel badly for Adrian (and Patrick)? Absolutely. But, dammit! I want more D'ni!

Again I'm not surprised at some of the reactions at all. Cyan have ticked off a fair few people over the last few years.

Part of me would love to see new D'ni stuff. Not sure about at the expense of others though. And to be honest, at this point, I don't think Cyan are capable. I don't mean from a logistics stand point, a friend of mine summed it up thusly: "Cyan are bankrupt...both financially and artistically".
Cyan seems to have long since lost the spark that made it special and I don't see them getting it back no matter how much money they have in the coffers.

</randomtweeksighting>
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Tweek! Nice to see you.

Tweek wrote:
Cyan seems to have long since lost the spark that made it special and I don't see them getting it back no matter how much money they have in the coffers.

I have to admit, this thought has crossed my mind a number of times. In fact, as much as I bought into their vision of Uru at the time, I only learned later how wrong it was...as far as a big money MMO goes. There was literally no content compared to any other game out there. Nor would there have been had they stuck to their vision of a "live" game.

But try to imagine the number of compromises Cyan no doubt had to make while working with Ubisoft...the release of a standalone game being just the tip of the iceberg. Add to that the pressure of having to make the big boys happy financially, seeing the failure of years of work, scrambling to make things work with GameTap, and finally accepting that it was over and that they'd have to come up with a new way of making a living. Couldn't have been easy.

As far as Cyan stepping on some toes along the way...you'd know better than I, Tweek. I'd like to think I was a pretty good participant back in the day (given my crazy schedule at the time), but I was never an insider. The closest I ever got was my brief foray as a DRC liaison. And that certainly doesn't count.

Sometimes the less you know, the better.

But I'd still like to think that Cyan could still produce something of quality given the funding and the chance to come back. It would probably require bringing in new business partners, aka new blood, to take them in a new direction...or perhaps just a new production partner to work with Rand and Tony...I don't know, I'm just spit-balling now. But I'll always hold out hope. I just won't spend a lot of time thinking about it.
Tweek
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, I have long thought that their original idea of DIRT would have been the better way to go. Single player perhaps roll in some minimal online capacities like LAN or how Valve handle server creation for games like Tf2, Half Life 2 Death Match etc.

That way you can still explore with some choice folks but it isn't over shooting and allowed for a more manageable (like expansion packs) updates.

Heck I would even suggest something like the Steam Workshop to make adding new content or even fan made content easier.

But there we go, what is done is done. There are other worlds and games I would rather explore these days.
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2012 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I am so impressed and excited by the Olympic Games
Opening Ceremony ... It was so oustanding, extraordinary and
just stunningly awesome ... The whole event consisted of so many
great, phenomenal and also funny parts, elements and surprises,
I really have to see one or more reruns tomorrow resp. today my
time lol ... The Olympic cauldron idea, wasn't it just breathtaking? ... Very Happy

Right now I wonder if you, dcos resp. Dan have been eager and able
to be in London to attend the Opening Ceremony live or to partake in
one of the many festivals at Hyde Park or Victoria Park or so ... Razz

Right now I'm tired and I wish you all a most wonderful weekend and time ... Smile
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I noticed that, so far, this is the only thread we have posted in during this year... Shocked
Tomala
Uber Explorer
Uber Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, this is true.
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, many in our community realized already, 'the old' is over, some
call it 'Uru is dead' which it actually is for quite some time, and I am excited
to watch how and in which direction 'things' are developing and unfolding ... Very Happy
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, can someone give me the short version of what's happening out there Uru-wise? I don't read all the other forums anymore so I rely on you folks for news. I know there isn't anything to speak of but something must be happening. Are fans still working on Ages? If so, to what end? Is there a general discussion out there talking about the future plans of these fan-created Ages? Has anyone made it any easier to visit fan-made Ages or is it still Drizzle and Age Manager and all that? And has anyone played a fan-made Age that felt like a finished Age that could eventually be incorporated into Uru? Most of the stuff I saw way back when was pretty rough. Thanks!
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, hey there, Professor ... Very Happy ... yes, you're right, there isn't actually 'anything' to speak of,
everything is more on less on hold or in the waiting loop so to speak, waiting for Cyan as always lol ...

Waiting for Cyan means in this case waiting for concrete and useful licenses for a real forward movement
for Open Source Uru and thus for the shards, age development, their implementation and for enabling the
H'URU and OpenUru folks to create more improvements and enhancements and stuff for MOULa if desired ...

You can read the latest state of affairs here ... This one page conveys quite precise where things stand
and what Cyan Worlds has come up with by now ... Seems to remain still like a more lengthy procedure ...
Deledrius stepped back from Uru and the community as of the latest Gehn Shard update on August 11th ...

Age creation is on hold as well, the latest release was in February, there maybe one or two in the making,
but I believe there's always the question which ones might be compatible with MOULa, most if not all of them
have to be converted, a quite arduous task ... The H'URU team started already and implemented two fan ages
on the Gehn Shard, 'Vothol Gallery' and Tre'bivdil' ...

If you're really interested in seeing what the age builders have created so far, I've compiled all of them in two
PDF files easily to glance through, 118 ages, 7 Relto pages and a reward, and I posted those on the GoW forums ...
I find that gallery quite impressive, but please, see for yourself and evaluate and most of all enjoy ... Smile

Then, you sure heard of the officially sanctioned 'Minkata Test Shard' for testing stuff like bugs and fixes and other
improvements possible to be made within the bounds of possibility right now, to be implemented into MOULa ...
The Gehn Shard is official as well ...

Right now I believe that is it so far besides that a handful (10 to 30 max.) of explorers is keeping up partying and
doing stuff, and there is a new AI in da house called 'Lyrobot' in 'The Fun House', which is funny and entertaining,
if you like you can read about it here or go directly to Lyrobot's page, it's fun ... Most of our community as we knew
it exiled to other places like SL, WoW, Guild Wars, LOTRO etc. or left entirely ...

Right now 'The Great Tree' is quite well informed of what's going on in da community and around Uru and D'ni ...
This doesn't include behind the scenes knowledge which I don't have lol ...

Right now I hope you're all getting along well and find always reasons to be happy about and to be of good cheer ...
Take good care everyone and have a great time ... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 360, 361, 362 ... 373, 374, 375  Next
Page 361 of 375

Jump to: