The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

GoMe May Newspaper

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Szark
Prolific Explorer
Prolific Explorer

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 4:58 am    Post subject: GoMe May Newspaper Reply with quote

It’s time for another issue of the Where R U Uru newspaper which has the usual line up of news and entertainment. This month we take a look back at the progress of the Myst Movie project, an interview with the Guild of Greeters and lots more.
"The Guild of Messengers Newspaper... ...For those who like their morning coffee in the cavern."

To download the full newspaper in PDF format please click this link.

If you'd like to receive notice when the newspaper is available, drop a note to us at newspaper@guildofmessengers.com . Alternatively we have a new automated subscription service located on the Front page. This is where you will receive e-mail notification that the issue is ready for download from our Library.
Also for any late breaking community news please feel free to use the GoMe News RSS feed. Click on the big Submit News button which is also on the Front page. Help is provided with this new feature. - Both in Text and downloadable PDF tutorial.
Shorah
A Guild of Messengers Publication. Serving the community.
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found the time to read this new May Newspaper while having a hot, fresh coffee
on a wonderful warm Monday evening, esp. on my great new monitor lol, and I am again
sooo impressed and still wondering how an ever increasing quality could still be possible... Razz

Besides that I love Ben's story and development for both himself and Daddy... I love those
beautiful "Did you know?"s... I love those tiny page icons with side notes/further explanations
and all the additional links everywhere to immediately get to further information if one desires so...
I also like the golden link pointers/arrows and the interesting sections "jumper" on the first page...

Of course, all the contributions are again just wonderful and heart-warming... On the whole an
appealing design with a nice choice of pictures... Have to contact the Guild of Healers for the
"Tasieless UrU Tonic" btw... haha...

Thank you Szark and all involved, for your tireless efforts and dedication and for keeping us all
up-to-date and affiliated to the developments around Uru OS/MO:UL/MO:RE and our community... Very Happy
Szark
Prolific Explorer
Prolific Explorer

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2009 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Janaba as always your comments help so much. I have passed your comments along to the team.

As with the educational theme, yes I like this angle a lot as we are never to old or to set in our ways to change and learn. I am living proof of that.

Thanks again Janaba for taking the time to comment. I am a tree hugger so a big hug to the Great Tree and to you Janaba, be well.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 5:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read every use of the newspaper, but never get around to posting any feedback... Embarassed This time I will.

Nice newspaper once again. Nice article about Gareth's son, Szark. It would be nice to have more articles like that. The comic was also very fun. I do wonder why you didn't publish the whole comic, because I'm not sure if everyone understands that you have to click on the link to read the full comic. I also like the illustration at the front (and back) of the newspaper!

So thanks to Szark and the rest of the team. I also read that the Archiver isn't in production any more... that's a shame. It always looked very professionally and was comfortable to read. A drawback was the time between issues, because by the time the magazine arrived, the 'news' wasn't news any more. So also thanks for filling that hole and for having a new issue each month.

I do have a little point of critic... the newspaper isn't always very comfortable to read. Sometime it looks like too much has been stuffed on a page. For example, there is little space between headings and the text. Better to have some more white-space. Also it may help to justify the text, so that columns have a fixed width. Just some suggestions that would make the newspaper a little easier to the eyes.

Also, another suggestion: it would be great if you could actually attach the newspaper when subscribers are e-mailed. Of course, the link to the newspaper is in the e-mail and I could easily download the newspaper myself, but then, why should I have a subscription? It's like subscribing to the newspaper (in the real world) and getting a message in your letter box each day that you can get the newspaper at the shop around the corner. Razz So, in my opinion, it would be better to attach it to the e-mail and remove the link from the e-mail (because then I already have it).

Good luck producing the next issue, and I'll promise to leave some feedback again. Wink

By the way, I would like to provide an article on setting up and using Drizzle and the Offline KI ("Drizzle for Dummies") in a simple way to visit fan ages and MOUL ages. Though, I don't know if you allow articles on that subject? If you do, you can count on an article if you like.
Szark
Prolific Explorer
Prolific Explorer

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly I would like to say thanks for your comments Erik I shall endeavour to answer each one for you.

Point taken in the Doh World comic which is know a mute point as that was the last. Ethan and Silver didn't do anymore after that one. But a valid comment nevertheless.

The illustration on the front and back was a nice addition that Theremin thought of and asked Clat to design.

The Archiver I can't comment on, it hurts too much. But yes I know what you mean. Which might give you an indication on why it is no longer published.

More white space is something I never considered this is due to me not knowing about DTP. I had to assemble the last 2 issues out of need and not out of wanting to. lol But I will take this on board.

Justifing the text does take up more room on a page and since my editor insists on One page One article this makes having more white space and justifing the text a more difficult job. But again I never refuse constructive help and agian I will take this on board and I will try some things out for next issue.

Now the subscription. I do hear you Erik and I agree but. We are dammed if we do and if we don't. When we got the new website the option was taken by the majority (I am the minority) to attach a link only. I was out voted. This was due to a number of compliants about attachments being rejected by e-mail programs (thinking they were spam). I can set my e-mail software up to accept these as proper bonafide e-mails not Junk. And now that the system is set up I persoanlly cannot change it and I wouldn't now how if I did have access.

As for the Article I will definitely get back to you on this. The way things are going I can't see why not but I would like to get the feel from the rest of the team, after all they all put there name to this paper.
EDIT: I have puta post on the GoMe forums regrding the article so leave it with me and I will get back to you Erik.

Again thank you Erik comments like this and Janaba's are always welcome. These are what I need to learn to be better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: