The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Cyan makes it official: "Myst" now in the hands of

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Szark
Prolific Explorer
Prolific Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Cyan makes it official: "Myst" now in the hands of Reply with quote

News from SpokesmanReview
Quote:
Tony Fryman, CEO of Cyan Worlds, notified us that he's sending out the following release to the extended Myst Online and Uru family:

Shorah, fans of Cyan,
As you may be aware, Cyan's situation has not improved on the "resources" front. We continue to work on small projects (including "Myst" for the iPhone/iPod Touch), and it looks like we will only be able to concentrate on projects that are fully funded for the foreseeable future.

However, all of us at Cyan and everybody that has ever worked on the creation and building of the dream called UruLive (a.k.a. "Mudpie," "Until Uru," "MystOnline:UruLive" and MORE) can not just let it die!

(My definitions: "UruLive" is the original dream of the virtual world.

And "MystOnline" is the current implementation of UruLive.)

So, Cyan has decided to give make MystOnline available to the fans by releasing the source code for the servers, client and tools for MystOnline as an open source project. We will also host a data server with the data for MystOnline. MORE is still possible but only with the help from fans.

This is a bit scary for Cyan because this is an area that we have never gone before, to let a product freely roam in the wild. But we've poured so much into UruLive, and it has touched so many, that we could not just let it whither and die. We still have hopes that someday we will be able to provide new content for UruLive and/or work on the next UruLive.

This is also a bit scary for the fans. We realize that this could turn UruLive into the "wild west" and lead to many fractured and diverse MystOnline servers. But it is our hope that with the help of dedicated core fans (if you are reading this, it probably means you) that a safe and secure MystOnline server set (many servers from around the world working together as one) can be created that will let people explore and live in UruLive.

We also are pretty sure that releasing MystOnline will result in some pleasant surprises for us. Our fans have always been so innovative, creative, and resourceful!

This release will probably be accomplished in stages, but we hope to get things ready for the first stage very quickly. More details to surely follow.
Tomala
Uber Explorer
Uber Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is good news. Very Happy
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy honking cow.
*toot*
Szark
Prolific Explorer
Prolific Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Plus this announcement from Chogon.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think we should call is Cosmic OSMOUL

janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! That's just about the limit!!! That beats just everything!!!...
That's totally freedom... it's just sooo awesome!!! I love you CYAN!!! I knew you are the best!!!...

I very much rely on our experienced and great community and strongly believe this to be true

"We also are pretty sure that releasing MystOnline will result in some pleasant surprises for us.
Our fans have always been so innovative, creative, and resourceful! ...
...it is our hope that with the help of dedicated core fans (if you are reading this, it probably means you)
that a safe and secure MystOnline server set (many servers from around the world working together as one)
can be created that will let people explore and live in UruLive. "

What a day!!! Yay!!! Thank you Szark!!! Thank you Cyan!!! Very Happy

Haha... I just see your "Cosmic OSMOUL" Eleri... great... Razz
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So thats pretty cool.
/enjoys the idea of being able to visit the cavern again.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::cackles:: Cosmic OSMOUL. I love it. Open Source Myst Online Uru Live.

Man, I really owe you all some replies. I've been reading, but then buzzing off to get other stuff done.

While this isn't my ideal Uru by far, I am very very glad that they want us to hold onto something of this world we've invested so much in. I can see I have a lot more practical stuff to learn if I'm to contribute the way I want to. I'm excited to see the jewels that emerge from the landslide of user-created content.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I'd expected and that's why I also said that the news might be positive for some, but not for all. After all, who knows where this will lead to? The community has been given complete control now, and with that come choices (just like with the Bahro). With all the wonderful things the community has done, I trust that the community will do everything to keep Uru's spirit.

I'm glad that we will be able to meet in D'ni again, and I'm very curious what wonderful things may come out of this experiment.

Also, this means that the community has a chance to fix the Wall. Laughing "Really Erik ... Cyan will give Uru in its entirety to the fans, and all you can think of is the Wall?! Rolling Eyes" Laughing
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha... lovely comments.../hugs... And Erik, I believe many will think the same
being all addicted to the WALL...lol... Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: