The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Planning a new MOUL directory: Rel.to
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno how mySQL handles these things, but I've heard all sorts of problems on MS SQL with the TIMESTAMP data type. I usually see it suggested that a DATETIME type be used instead.

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I'm vexed by a rel.to bug... or at least, what I perceive as a bug. Twisted Evil

This first example doesn't work. It forwards to the right website, but loses everything including and after the question mark.
rel.to/gomeforums/viewforum.php?f=8

This second example also doesn't work. But it doesn't even forward to the website as it should; it drops the ? and everything after, but ALSO crashes and burns and claims to not recognize the pattern it has been given.
rel.to/uoforums/?act=SF&f=111

I think if the first problem is fixed, the second one will also be fixed, even though the causes are different behavior. But, that won't address one final item:

rel.to/uoforums/

In this third case, the / should be stripped off and tossed away; it doesn't really serve any purpose. However, this should not happen in every case... only when the "appendix" to the tag consists _only_ of /.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I know what goes wrong... The script seems to strip the question mark inside the given URL, while it should only strip it at the end of an URL (to avoid people posting incorrect links on forums by accident).

The last error probably is something I forgot to implement.

I'll fix it now. Smile
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way the URL was rewritten by Apache was the problem. I overlooked some things.

The problem was that Apache stripped of the whole query string automatically (so the part of the URL from the question mark). I could add it back to the URL, but then there was another problem. The PHP script didn't put the whole query string in $_GET['tag'], but stored the portions of the tag after ampersands, into new GET variables. Completely natural, but that was something I overlooked. There was no way in Apache to encode the tag before it was passed to the PHP script. Eventually this article led me to a solution and more insight. Smile

Marten, I'll send you the new file by mail. A while ago I set up a Google account for that calendar that we thought we would use for filming the documentaries which I don't think we ever used. Razz That e-mail address won't be filtered by Yahoo I think. Just don't reply to that address, because I don't check that address.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Erik! I looked and looked, and I saw where your script strips the ? at the end and I thought, "no, that looks right, it's only stripping at the end." So I knew that wasn't the problem.

By the way, you should be able to set your google mail address to automatically forward to your normal e-mail address. I've done that with my Gmail address, those e-mails land in my Yahoo! account. Smile
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Again, Erik ROCKS, he got it working!

HUZZAH!
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
Again, Erik ROCKS..

Tell us something we don't know! Wink

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 22, 2008 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Embarassed
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked
I just discovered that we broke the preferences and about page with the latest "fix".

That's because the new .htaccess rule puts a question mark at the end of every tag. So you should change these things at the end:
Quote:
if($_GET['tag']=='preferences?')
elseif($_GET['tag']=='about?')

Embarassed
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the Rel.to Idea Pool! This is the current list of suggestions that I have collected for future versions of the site.

I suggested: Add a module for editing, adding, and deleting entries. This will require a login/authentication system and user accounts. Addition module should prevent the (accidental) addition of duplicate keywords. Priority: Low. There may not be a huge need for this right now; until the resource becomes more well known, few people are likely to be interested in this idea.

I suggested: A page like groups is pretty big, it has 3 categories on it, it would be nice in the future if a list of the major categories is right at the top, so you can click on one and jump down to that section of the page. Priority: High.

I suggested: Fix the height of rows so there is not so much empty space wasted. Priority: Medium.

Gorobay suggested: I think there should be a section like /reltodir that lists pages like /about, /preferences, and any other similar pages (if there are any). Priority: Low. Right now, Rel.to doesn't really need a sitemap (it's very simple) but in the future I could imagine this being useful to some people.

I suggested: Keep track of dates that entries are added/created. Priority: High. Needed for next two items.

Artic_Wagon suggested: Add the ability to sort the entries on pages in a user-preferred manner. Example: By date added. Priority: Medium.

I suggested: A "most recent changes to site" page. Priority: Medium.

Artic_Wagon suggested: It isn't obvious how to return to the main menu page from the top of one of the subpages. I concur; I would rather have a "Top" button such as appears at the bottom of the page, than have the user click on the header image which is not intuitive. Priority: High.

I suggested: A URL-shortening form where someone can paste a link, and Rel.to will spit back the shortest URL it can create for that link, using one of rel.to's existing keywords. If the base URL of the link isn't in rel.to's database, the URL shortener would attempt to shorten the URL anyway using certain known tricks (strip index.php, s= or sid= or sessid=, strip www (may not work)). Priority: Low.

I suggested: Keep a log of keywords that are used that do not match. Keep a separate log of keywords that do not match and search for 0 results. Priority: High. I need this to determine if people are looking for resources that aren't on Rel.to; I have discovered and added resources through this method already.

I suggested: Keep a counter of keywords that are used that match exactly (not by search). Priority: Medium. Required for next item.

I suggested: A most popular (most linked) page. Priority: Medium.

Krepta suggested: A preference to open links from rel.to in a frame or another window. Priority: Low

Does anyone have more ideas? Or does anyone feel different about the priorities (I have my own biases, and others may feel differently)?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: