The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Right Now
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 234, 235, 236 ... 373, 374, 375  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moiety Jean wrote:
Perhaps the success of the film will spawn games to go with it, ...

... and mayhaps... ACTION FIGURES!!!!!111!!oneoneeleven!!!

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I don't think fan-created content will ever be aimed at replacing Cyan content, physically or symbolically. What it does do is open up the game world to other stories running in parallel. How could you possibly argue with that?

EDIT: A little later, I think it's important to note... Uru with Cyan content and Uru with fan content are two different but not mutually exclusive games. I don't believe a fan-supported "official" server would be the same thing as Until Uru.

There are two groups of people who are most interested in a fan-run server: people who want to continue keeping Uru alive so they can hang out in-Cavern for whatever reason, and people who are really interested in developing Ages. Until Uru had the weirdly coloured skin and the giant cones. That's kinda funny, but not everyone will want that, and if they can continue with an "official" server in any capacity, I have a feeling that what we'll see there is top-notch stuff from the community, with its own internal story that will, hopefully, be interesting.

If you'll forgive my bluntness, the "if it's not Cyan, it's boring" mentality is pretty self-fulfilling and closed minded. Uru will never be what we want it to be. Tough beans. But we can make it as close as we want if we participate in its creation. I think MJ is already on the right track in building a Great Tree Age. The very act of doing that is interesting and we could play with that, just like the act of making the documentaries is what drove them forward. We sort of have to embrace the fan fiction aspect as a legit way of experiencing game content. We can flesh out our own story with real in-game content for the first time ever! Isn't that fantastic?

Last edited by Cycreim on Fri Apr 04, 2008 12:02 am; edited 1 time in total
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::nods thoughtfully at Cyc::

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, Cycreim, I think you give the fans way too much credit. LOL. They had every opportunity in the world to create their own stories during the long tenure of UU and blew it....hugely. I don't think adding home-made Ages into the mix is going to solve anything. Uru fans need official guidance in order for the game to succeed. Which brings me to my second point...

My comments are based on Uru's future as an up and running MMOG. Everything you're describing is wonderful for an artist's community and hobby stop. If Uru were a successful and wildly popular online game I would still love to see some resources devoted to fan creation...kind of a testing ground for that really good stuff that could actually be integrated into "official" Uru. But, nothing you described in your post sounds like something I'd pay for nor would it garner much attention from me given my current calendar. If it were free (presumably it would be), I would probably pop my head in now and then to check it out, but I would still be hoping for a return of the real deal.

If fans took over the Lord of the Rings Online I'd walk away from that, too. It's not what I signed up for.
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now... I'm giving the fans as much credit as I've seen them dole out. Was J.D. Barnes chopped liver? The fans don't need guidance to tell their own stories. Even with UU, they were hedged in by the static world, trying to "compete" against Cyan's established story, and had no method of going outside either of these within the game environment.

Right now I'm... disappointed. Sad
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now I need to make myself clearer. There have been a number of people who have contributed some wonderful ideas to the Uru tapestry. But when you compare the number of those contributors to the number of those who haven't contributed and then to the number of people who never heard of or played Uru I think you'll see we're not talking about a game for the masses. My comments are strictly for Uru the game not Uru the creative outlet, home for artists and hackers and social gatherers. I have no negative opinions about the latter...I am just rooting for the former.

Maybe Cyan should hold a contest among the fans to pitch gameplay ideas to them. The winners (small anonymous teams) would then run Uru as they see fit. This means pitching story content as well as plans for the implementation of fan-created Ages. Hmmm....
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see some strong optimism and some strong pessimism here, but I don't believe UU is an adequate meter of what the fans are or aren't capable of; I think we all have to wait and see. It's too early to knock it or praise it. We don't even know if "it" is going to happen, at all.

Right now, if folks want to continue discussion on this topic, maybe we should split the posts out to another topic so we can get back to the joyous frivolity I usually enjoy in this thread. Wink
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now there's no need to split the thread, Marten. You're right, let's wait and see. I don't think it's optimism and pessimism as much as apples and oranges. I'm just doing a crappy job of explaining my expectations of Uru the game versus Uru in general. But, it's all good.

/me shakes hands with Cycreim.

As far as returning to joyous frivolity.....

Right now........

Lalalalala Happy Happy Joy Joy. Mmmmmm...that's frivolicious!! Please pass the frivolity. Do NOT make light of my frivolity! How can you put mayonnaise on a frivolity and cheese sandwich? Preposterous! Frivosterous! You might want to blow your nose, you got a little frivolity---there, you got it. Miss, what size frivolity were you shopping for? What's on the frivoloTV tonight? Something joyous and entertaining, I hope.

And now for something completely frivolous....
homerjay
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now, I haven't posted in awhile, so I'm gonna post something of a nice lighter note Smile
Right now, I've been hooked on the last recording of the late/great Brad Delp. It's awesomely rock n rollin'
Right now, I wish to share it with ya'll
http://www.myspace.com/delpgoudreau
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now,

I got a refund from the tax company that managed my tax filing last year, due to the errors. I got back more refund than I was expecting. So, happy!
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now interesting, upbeat music, homerjay, thanks for sharing... Razz
Right now Yeah!!! for tax refunds!!! What a wonderful surprise, Marten!!!
And right now Yeah!!! for joyous frivolity!!! ... ::walks off dancing, jiggling, giggling, singing:: ... ...
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right now the band Everclear is playingat my church tonight! (of all places...) Yeah for volunteering at the snack table with the wifey and getting in for free!
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moiety Jean wrote:
Perhaps the success of the film will spawn games to go with it, and we'll see a new version of Uru. ::snickers at this concept, not in ridicule::

Right now, I'm wondering what Myst: The Movie: The Game would be like...
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kyven wrote:
Moiety Jean wrote:
Perhaps the success of the film will spawn games to go with it, and we'll see a new version of Uru. ::snickers at this concept, not in ridicule::

Right now, I'm wondering what Myst: The Movie: The Game would be like...

Probably not as good as Myst: The Movie: The Game: The Movie will be. That's for sure got potential.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*peers over Blade's shoulder*

Right now, Marten gets the Crazy Person of the Week Award. Wink

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 234, 235, 236 ... 373, 374, 375  Next
Page 235 of 375

Jump to: