The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Episode Five - "Safety First"
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are Tiella's questions and my answers; if anyone feels that their translation should be changed, please send me the updates. Smile

The current plan is to release the episode in all five languages on Monday July 16.

Tiella wrote:
1. In scene 1, near the end, Phil asks:
"Does everyone mind if we leave now?"
I think the meaning is: " Are there any objection if we leave now?" or better: " Does anyone has any objection if we leave now?"
My translation would be: "Macht es jemanden etwas aus, wenn wir jetzt gehen?"
I am particularly puzzled by the "everybody". But it could be that I don't get the meaning of "mind".

You understand the meaning correctly. "mind" means "care" in this context. Yet Phil's choice of "everyone" is unusual. Normally, I would say: "Does anyone mind if we leave now?"

Quote:
2. Scene 2, after Engberg finished the Heek game, they are talking about Phil and Sharper.
Marcello says (about Sharper): "Rudenna? Okay, he's doin' well."
I take it as "Okay, he is making good progress." (translation: "Okay, er kommt gut voran.")
Is that correct?

Yes, that is correct. doin' is an abbreviation of "doing", and "doing well" is "prospering." In this situation, it means that Sharper is progressing well.

Quote:
3. Scene 3, Super at the beginning: "... called out Michael Engberg of the DRC to..."
Is the meaning that M. Engbert, member of the DRC is called out or that M. Engbert is called out from a gathering/meeting of the DRC?

There is a double meaning in this choice of words. The primary meaning is "called upon", as in "to ask," but the word 'out' instead of 'upon' suggests criticism or accusation.

Quote:
4. Scene 3, first words of Brian Fioca: "... with all the silence and delays, and DELAYS ABOUT SILENCE..."
Shouldn't he say: "... with all the silence and delays, and SILENCE ABOUT DELAYS..."?

Yes, Brian meant to say that, but he reversed the words by accident. Smile But, please keep the error in the translation. The other translators and Great Tree members have discussed this issue on our forum. We are not attempting to "fix" history.

Quote:
5. Scene 3, Dusante: "We were told they (the Bahro) would affect the restoration."
Do the Bahro influence the restoration in a neutral or more negative way?

At the time, we did not know the answer to this question. The more neutral word is probably most appropriate.

Quote:
6. Scene 3, Brian sends Engbert a private KI messabe and Engbert says:"...Loose lips sink ships."
It's an adage (saying) and the only translation I find for it is "Reden ist Silber, Schweigen ist Gold". But I am not sure that's the correct meaning in this case.

You may need to translate this phrase literally if there is no close German equivalent. The phrase originates in war propaganda from World War II. A good explanation of this phrase can be found here: http://www.phrases.org.uk/meanings/237250.html

Quote:
7. Engbert is questioned about informations he and/or the DRC has gathered. Sometimes it is very clear that explorers are asking Engbert for his personal/individual knowledge. But often the "you" seems to be directed to the knowledge the DRC (all members of the DRC) has. In German I would use the plural form for translating "You". Is this ok?

Yes, I think a plural "You" is appropriate where questions seem directed to Michael as a spokesman for the entire DRC.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Annick pointed out something that I had forgotten.

The opening text of the third scene in the script was cut from the video. That is the part that says "Brian Fioca called out Michael Engberg of the DRC to...". If anyone feels that it would help explain things, I can add that text back into the video.

Thoughts?
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That whole line was cut? (Can't check it right now, because it seems the preview isn't up any more)

I think that that line needs to be in there though, as Engberg's "Okay, Brian, what did you want to talk about?" kinda refers to that opening text.
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO, I also think the opening text would be great... Razz

I just watched the video again... and I think an introductory text
would give everybody the chance to take a deep breath and relax,
as this video is full of conversations and a smooth transition by
the opening text gives the feeling of getting prepared for what comes
next, cause also the subject is changing now...
Just thinking of Newcomers, too, that even won't recognize maybe immediately,
where the scene's taking place and what's going on and why?...

Just my thoughts to that...or my two cents, as most of you would say... Very Happy
Annick
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
I think that that line needs to be in there though, as Engberg's "Okay, Brian, what did you want to talk about?" kinda refers to that opening text.

Me too. Wink
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK! I will add that line back into the video this weekend, with the last of the translation work.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: I have added that line back into the video for all languages.

janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks just wonderful!!! Thank you Very Happy
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 5 launched; announcement forthcoming (waiting on CCN CavernCast to update)
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the CavernCast has been updated, are we ready to send out the translated version of the announcement?
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:10 pm    Post subject: Prologue Documentary 5: "Safety First" Reply with quote

December 2003.

It was a time of innocence, when explorers knew little of the mysterious Bahro, and were unafraid to challenge the authority of the D'ni Restoration Council.

It was a time of change, when Phil Henderson invited Douglas Sharper to travel on Yeesha's Journey, and Douglas accepted.

It was a time when minor concerns seemed more important, and explorers seeking freedom faced off against the DRC and their safety-minded supporters such as the members of Safety First (243).

The Great Tree and Cavern Communications Network are proud to offer this portal back in time with the latest episode of the ongoing Prologue Documentaries: Safety First, available in five languages in Windows Media and Quicktime formats, and in English only streaming through CCN's CavernCast ITunes feed.

Streaming CavernCast (Lo-Res): http://caverncast.libsyn.com/
Complete Episode Archive (Hi-Res): http://www.thegreattree.com/media/

Please stay tuned for future announcements on how you can participate as an actor for Episodes 6 and 7.
Robert The Rebuilder
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just finished viewing Episode 5. Again - excellent filming, editing and acting! Seeing these personal, uncrowded exchanges with the DRC members during Prologue makes me wish that MO:UL wasn't so popular... almost. Great work, everyone!
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
I see that the CavernCast has been updated, are we ready to send out the translated version of the announcement?

Of course. Although I see you've taken the initiative. Smile

Co-ordinating the release is tricky, but it worked well this time.
Ian [Atrus]
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be an annoying nitpicker and point out that Cautious Optimism t-shirts weren't available at the time. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7

Jump to: