The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

talking to ResEngs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: talking to ResEngs Reply with quote

This is a bit of OOC...but it's something we should keep in mind.

Having talked off the record and OOC with a couple of ResEngs...they are not 'in' on the story. Many of them don't know much about the D'niverse, past and present, at all. Several of them have gotten into researching the D'niverse, but several others see themselves as Tech Support, and nothing else. (The comment I got from one was "they don't pay us to know history.")

I think, so far, they've done a good job of covering for that lack (and I think it is a lack, you don't put out your front line people without at least cursory background knowledge...like knowing who Jeff Zandi is...) But expecting useful answers out of them is futile.

I think we should keep asking though...it keeps them on their toes, and reminds them that 'immersive' means they gotta know what they're immersed in.

Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose some of the ResEngs feel they are like vendors or janitors at an amusement park, rather than characters with which the guests may interact.

Obviously, I'm biased in favor that the ResEngs are more than that. Character players at a Disney park are obligated to become their characters... to act accordingly in all public views. The ResEngs are a direct public relations position, and should be subject to similar rules...

... in an ideal world, I guess.
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I understand it, Cyan doesn't see them as characters. They are primarily customer service game moderators. The IC impression I get is that the DRC sees the ResEngs we see as grunts at best. It's like yelling at Tech Support - it really doesn't do much. (Trust me, I work in that industry - yelling at tech support does nothing).

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BladeLakem wrote:
It's like yelling at Tech Support - it really doesn't do much. (Trust me, I work in that industry - yelling at tech support does nothing).

I also work in the Tech support business... and yelling at us does have an effect, in fact...

It forces us to find all sorts of problems that are more important than yours.

Ya gotta know how to prioritize... Wink

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I should say "nothing productive" Wink

I think Cyan has kinda put the ResEngs in a bad position. They are the most obvious and accessible members of Cyan (OOC) and the DRC (IC). However, they have the least ability to deal with the player base outside of a narrow avenue.

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless they are willing to play along with you. I had a nice chat with one ResEng G.Buddell about a week ago. Friendly chap, we chatted about Nick and what the other ResEngs thought of him and his firing. Various other topics came and went, and he generally went along with my questions and gave IC "I don't knows" (besides just "I don't know").

Of course, ResEng G.Buddell is a bit of a special case... Wink
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I happened to go into a bevin last night (beginner's I believe) and found what I thought was a ResEng. It was I assumed the player Orientation, but they were having a party, I actually heard music, there was dancing, a generally "happyness" going on. I had a giggle and then went on my way.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some ResEngs are well informed about D'ni and its history, they're really dedicated to the job. Others know nothing more than their standard text. It varies a lot. I attended a meeting once and the ResEng on duty could manage most questions just fine, but didn't seem to know anything else about D'ni and history than his text.

At one point, he said during the meeting "The D'ni did not believe that they were actually creating those Ages but instead creating the Link to an already existing location. As a result, it was possible, in many instances, to uncover things that were not specifically written when the Book was created, to find the unexpected." So I asked rather rhetorical, "Like people?" And he said that he didn't know that much and then he made some jokes about having seen some Bahro and a sea monster in the lake. Right... Rolling Eyes Laughing
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing

In answer to your question - yes, people were often an unintended surprise. It is posible to write books that or more conducive or less conducive to having developed civilization, but I think they typically stayed away from writing books that had people. If they had people, fine, if they didn't, that was better. "Outsider" policy changed over the years; sometimes the D'ni tolerated them, typically they didn't. Outsiders were generally responsible for most of the bad moments in D'ni history, like the Pento War and the Fall.

hmm, mebbe *I* should apply to be a ResEng... Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Randomness Forum All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: