The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Translations: A Proposal for Keeping Promises

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: Translations: A Proposal for Keeping Promises Reply with quote

Many months ago, translation team members and I agreed that I should only release episodes when I have all translations complete. I did not accomplish that goal on Episode 4.

This project is staffed by volunteers. I am a volunteer. Each translator is a volunteer. Script writers are volunteers. Actors are volunteers. Many of us have "surface duties" that take precedence over the project. Finding time to work on this project is difficult. Finding a time when our schedules align, and we are able to work together, is more difficult.

With Episode 4, I was too busy to work on the Episode when some team members had time available. (A quick review of the Episode 4 discussion will show that I kept saying I would complete tasks "In a few days" or "Soon", and my words would only become true weeks later.) And when I could work on the Episode, some team members whom I needed were busy.

I was under pressure to release Episode 4 because I had made a similar mistake at the Day of Darkness event. Someone asked when the episode would be ready, and I said it would be done in a week. I was foolish to give a timeframe, because I knew that I needed help from others to finish the episode, and I did not know their schedules.

But now I have a suggestion. Would anyone be upset or offended if we added a second translator for each language to the project? I expect three benefits with this idea.

1. Each pair of translators could take turns translating the episodes

2. The translation can be shared with the other same-language translator to review for errors or improvements

3. If I need a quick response and one translator is busy, the second translator might be able to help
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would anyone be upset or offended if we added a second translator for each language to the project?

"Offended" sounds so negative, but I certainly wouldn't like it. I can manage the translations it on my own IMHO.

But this depends of course... Maybe my colleagues have less time and could need a partner in the process. So I think that the translators should decide for their own language about this.
Leonardo
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with Erik, i think i can manage the translations almost well. I usually succeed to translate an episode in an afternoon, for the main translation, and less than an hour for the last review.

But I have much free time; so I, as Erik, think that each translator should decide for his/her own language

P.S.: by the way, is there already a final version for the Episode 5?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: