The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

What the heek?!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:10 pm    Post subject: What the heek?! Reply with quote

Quote:
Shorah,

In 2004, Cyan Worlds, Inc. released Until Uru to the Uru Live and the Myst communities. Until Uru was a way for the fans to keep the dream of Uru Live alive in the hope that it might one day receive a second chance. As most of you already know, Uru Live is being given that second chance and Myst Online: Uru Live is scheduled to launch on February 15th. And so, as the name "Until Uru" suggests, the time has come for Until Uru to fade away, so that we all (Cyan as well as the Community) can focus on the new opportunity that Uru Live has been given.

As of Monday, Feb. 5th, Until Uru and the D’mala shard will be shut down.

The shutting down of the Until Uru servers should not be perceived as a dead end for user-created content. Cyan Worlds, Inc. is actively pursuing plans so that one day users will be able to create content to be used in Myst Online: Uru Live.

On behalf of everyone at Cyan Worlds, Inc., we would again like to say thank you to the shard owners and to all the Until Uru participants who have helped to keep the Uru dream alive.

The Myst Online Team

http://www.mystonline.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6340

I think this also means that they will shut down the auth server... so... no more DRC avatars available to the project...
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
... so... no more DRC avatars available to the project...

I'm looking into this right now, Erik.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure we will find a way to resolve this issue. Don't fret over it right now Smile
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay! Wink

Off-topic note:

I'd just logged into D'mala to visit my old Relto, and looked at Recent... Guess who where there? Kodama and Sutherland! And: Eleri.

/me can smell a D'net update. Twisted Evil Laughing
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheer coincidence, I swear!

I did some movie filming on D'mala

Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now wondering what our options would be to edit Sharper's hat onto his body.

I didn't think it would matter so much, but in light of certain impersonations, perhaps it does.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If our actors names are obviously fake, or even to the point of reading "Documentary Actor 1" or some such, I doubt it will be as much of an issue. We get to our film spots (probably have to be somewhere somewhat private at this point, since I am now largely put off by the behavior I see in the cavern) and film, and if anyone asks questions along the way, we explain truthfully. No one will be fooled, and no one will be angry.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MJ, I agree with what you said, but I feel you're missing my point.

Douglas Sharper is not Douglas Sharper without the right hat. That hat is not available in Uru Live. ANYONE who saw the imposter should have immediately known that it wasn't the real Douglas. The lack of the right hat was a dead giveaway.

With that thought in mind, I had to ask myself: Why were people fooled? Why didn't they realize it wasn't the real McCoy? And I find myself looking at the documentaries we've made and that people may have become comfortable seeing Douglas with the wrong hat.

Previously I was very dismissive of complaints about the hat. "It's just a hat," I said. Now... now I'm not so sure.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.. I did miss your point.

Yeah, I let myself get comfortable with the wrong hat. (That sounds like an adage!)

I hate for you to have the extra work of trying to edit in the hat.

Do you think we're really at fault? Could it be simple lack of explorer knowledge of Sharper's true appearance? There aren't a huge number of pictures of him, as far as I know..

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not going to paint ourselves with fault... that's too strong a word. We are not the perpetrators of the scam.

I'll just say that comfort with the hat could have been a contributing factor.

I'm investigating my options, going forward.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
With that thought in mind, I had to ask myself: Why were people fooled?

The wrong hat... that was the first thing I noticed when I saw the fraud. But, his name was shown as "Douglas Sharper" (you can't see the difference between I en l), so I thought it really was him, because others couldn't take take that name.

But as I said, the missing hat was the first thing I mentioned. If it's not too much trouble to give him the right hat, then you should give him the right hat. Smile It's not really necessary, but as you said, it's a contributing factor.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that if it's practical to give him the right hat in the documentaries, great. But if it's a huge amount of trouble, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Nobody has complained so far, and I think we've made it abundantly clear that we doing re-enactments, not just making stuff up.

If people abuse someone's image for their own reasons, that's not necessarily our fault... If people want to know what Sharper really looke dlike, they can do the research and find the pictures. We should be as realistic as we can, but I don't think necessarily down to the tiniest detail...
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, when Douglas comes back, he will be willing to lend his hat to his stand-in? Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: