The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

The Prologue Documentaries Project

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: The Prologue Documentaries Project Reply with quote

Purpose of this posting: To provide a quick introduction to the Prologue Documentaries project, and serve as an index to important discussions in this forum and others.

What are the Prologue Documentaries?: The Prologue Documentaries are historically accurate recreations of events from Uru Live Prologue in November and December 2003. The documentaries are based upon transcripts of the events captured by explorers who observed them. We also intereview explorers who were present to fill in missing details. At this time, a total of eleven episodes are planned, starting with Episode Zero (a Prologue to the Prologue) and concluding with an accident at the Guild Hall involving DRC Restoration Engineer Phil Henderson.

What other groups are involved in this project?: Beginning with Episode Four, the Cavern Communications Network is teaming up with The Great Tree to work on these episodes. Registered members of the CCN forums can participate in discussions at the CCN / Great Tree Collaboration forum.

Which episodes are complete / which episodes are in production?: Here is a list of the episode discussions.
- Episode Zero: The Beginning (Production complete)
- Episode One: Planting the Seeds (Production complete)
- Episode Two: You Need to Hear (Production complete)
- Episode Three: Sides are Chosen (Production complete)
- Episode Four: The Power of Returning (Production complete)
- Episode Five: Safety First (Production complete)
- Episode Six: Conversations with Victor Laxman (Production complete)
- Episode Seven: Kidnapped! / Rational Discourse (Production complete)
- Episode Eight: Unrest in Ae'gura (Preproduction; script complete)
- Episode Nine: The Secret Room (Script being edited by Moiety Jean)
- Episode Ten: Resistance and Consequence (Initial script posted)
- Episode Eleven: The Fall of Phil Henderson (Initial script posted)

How do you select the source material?: The source material was mostly settled upon around August/September 2006, although with each episode we may seek additional sources (such as information from John Lynch's Archives of the Restoration of D'ni Transcripts. Here is the list of currently planned source material, organized by episode.

How are these Documentaries made?: We begin each episode by opening a topic area on this forum where the script writer(s) can discuss refinement and consolidation of the transcripts, producing a script. Background music, introductory and conclusion text, and imagery are considered. When the script is finalized, we contact explorers and announce filming dates and times. At the same time, our translation team begins translating the script into Dutch, French, German, and Italian. Most of the filming occurs in the Cavern, and for any roles that have not been filled by pre-selected actors, other explorers in the area are invited to join the scene and help relive a little history. The filming crew takes careful note of all participants and the roles they will receive in the credits. Additional scenes for special camera angles or to include DRC actors may be filmed privately. The next step is assembly; the filmed scenes and titles are integrated in Adobe Premiere Pro 2.0. Draft copies of the film are reviewed by the project team and revisions are cycled back into the film until all major issues are addressed. The film is exported to Windows Media and Quicktime formats for each of the five supported languages. The episodes are released at the Great Tree media page ( http://www.thegreattree.com/media ) and announcements are made at major and international forums. Episodes may also be released through other means such as through the CCN stage.

What are the roles of participants in the project?: Here is a quick list of the varied types of roles needed for this project:
- Script Writer
- Script Reviewer & Commenter
- Camera Operator (OOC: requires FRAPS or other capture program)
- Crowd Herder - Track down and contact people who had parts in the episodes, and work with Camera Operator(s) to arrange filming schedules
- Translator (all roles for this job are filled except Spanish)
- Actor/Extra - appear in the films as an explorer
- Assembler - put the film together (requires Premiere Pro 2.0)
- Assistant Assembler - add the translation subtitles (also requires Premiere Pro 2.0)
- Preview Reviewer - review the previews of the movies as they are posted, provide comments and improvement suggestions
- Public Relations Expert - generate buzz about the project

How is the community responding?: See Response to Episodes.

Last edited by Durin Mephit on Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:29 pm; edited 11 times in total
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
Beginning with Episode Four, the Cavern Communications Network is teaming up with The Great Tree to work on these episodes.

That's awesome! Just how of curiousity, how does this collaboration work? i.e., what role does CCN play in the production?
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great that the CCN will work with TGT together! Very Happy

I have the same question as Rils though, will you just split the work or does the CCN have a special role in the production stage?

I think this will even enlarge the succes of the documentaires! Smile
And the most important thing is that the message will be spread even further... Smile
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are assisiting us with the distribution of labor and keeping things organized. In exchange, they get to flex their short wave, longwave, and other muscles associated with the CCN. Big Fun! Very Happy

As far as specifics to your query.....Any role they want! lol
Dav'on
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm here and ready to help. Smile
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, Dav'on, later this morning I'll be posting a volunteer list right in this forum breaking down who wants to do what. Make sure you come back and let us know what you're interested in.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding Episode 6 - I remember I'd offered to do the script for that, and somebody mentioned that somebody else was working on it, but I don't remember who either of those somebodies were. Now I see it is unclaimed...? Do we still need a writer for this? Cuz I'd be happy to jump on it if nobody else is. If it's already claimed, that's fine too. I just want to make all your base are ours I mean bases are covered...
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, sure, go ahead. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: