The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

How will you receive Douglas Sharper?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:56 am    Post subject: How will you receive Douglas Sharper? Reply with quote

While it's not 100% certain, it seems that Douglas Sharper will come to the Cavern once again. And I was wondering what you're thinking about that, and how do you think you will receive him?

Will you receive him as a hero or as the lost son? Or will you just wait and see... looking if he'll recognize you? Will you be upset, because he didn't contacted TGT the past years?

It seems a bit odd that he didn't pay any attention to TGT anymore, while he urged Brian Fioca to found TGT, and that TGT even continued after the closure.

So, I was wondering about your reaction... What do you think about this?

Shorah,
a curious Erik
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At any moment, Douglas Sharper could be reading this as a guest. Wink

I had an interesting conversation with Vormaen last night about this very topic, although Moiety Jean bowed out declaring that it was not her cup 'o tea. Cool

Oh. Hornets nest! http://drcsite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1713
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no history with Doug so I'm starting with a clean slate.

But, I must say, I like the energy he casts ahead of his arrival. LOL. I think D'ni could use a dose of Sharper.
Malakh
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres to hoping that the DRC comes out and says they have no hard feelings against Shaper. Well I guess they already have. I think one of them something to this effect, like "we all make mistakes"

I just don't comprehend why so many DRC'ites hold so many hard feeling for Sharper. The main thing that comes to mind is playing up drama for dramas sake.

It's hard to say how I will react to his return but I have always had a high esteem for the fellow and even identify with him so I will probably take it well but then again.. you never know how much someone can change in 3 years...
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
At any moment, Douglas Sharper could be reading this as a guest. Wink

I had an interesting conversation with Vormaen last night about this very topic, although Moiety Jean bowed out declaring that it was not her cup 'o tea. Cool

Oh. Hornets nest! http://drcsite.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1713

I bowed out because the only conversation happening at the time I arrived was Vormaen defending the right to be rude in order to express his true opinion. Wink People with the stance of "I'll say what I want and anyone who has to have it sugar-coated is living on a fluffy cloud" seem to me to be selfish. When I voice an opinion, I try to consider others in the way that I say it. One can be truthful and thoughtful at the same time.

On topic, I will be pleased to see Sharper come back. I feel that there are not enough people in the cavern who really care about everything that happened back then. Last night in the city, people were only concerned with climbing all over the DRC's tent and map of the island, and kept talking about weird things that didn't have anything to do with the restoration. (ooc stuff) They didn't seem to concern themselves much with history.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never met Sharper before, so I'll have to figure out what my thoughts are about him on my own. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like most of the current crowd never met Sharper. I know I didn't. I'd love to though!

I'm not sure what his purpose would be though. The DRC would likely be quite hesitant before hiring him again, considering the hard feelings from last time around. Cate might do it, but he'd have to do some pretty fast talking! Unless he's coming as a visitor, and that would just be weird... Rolling Eyes
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since I've never met Sharper myself, I think I would be a bit nervous if I happened to run across him somewhere in the cavern Smile I would welcome him back, and just chat in general if that's what he wanted to do. If he is willing to take a few questions, I would like to know how he feels about Phil's accident and if he has learned anything while on the surface? What does he know about Cate or the DRC that he would be willing to share? Why did he finally decide to return to the cavern? Was he asked, or did he feel compelled to do so for some reason?

Just a few questions mind you Smile

Ashtar
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ash, I think that's a good idea - asking if he minds a couple questions. I know he'll get bombarded and quite posibly attacked the moment he steps foot into Ae'gura, but being polite about it will certainly go a long ways towards keeping things stable!
Folklorist
Folklorist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to hear what Sharper has to say for himself before making any decisions. He has a few things he needs to explain, and I have no reason to trust him right off the bat.

On the other hand, I feel very strongly Sharper should be given a chance to speak on his own behalf, and that the explorers should not judge him before he has been able to do so.

I'm all for welcoming Sharper back... cautiously. Which I think he'd completely understand.

Annacat
K'Dahta
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I was not in Prologue and never met Sharper personally, I feel like I know him through chat logs and the journals in his office.
A lot changes in 3 years, and I'd be willing to start with a clean slate regarding Shaper. I'd like to know his current opinions, and how much of a role he wishes to play in the Cavern. For all we know, he may choose not to have the active role he had in the past. I used to dislike his furtive ways in the past, especially with breaking into the pub and having a spyroom, but that was the past. Now I'll look to the future.
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I haven't talked to him in 3 years, I still consider him a friend of mine, and I'm anxious to see him again.

I personally hope he hasn't changed. He's a very driven person who shares a lot of the same ideas as me. It was those ideas that founded this group and led to the establishment of this community. I feel like we've been purposeless for some time now, and hope his return will help kick us back into gear.

brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anna Catherine wrote:
I would like to hear what Sharper has to say for himself before making any decisions. He has a few things he needs to explain, and I have no reason to trust him right off the bat.

On the other hand, I feel very strongly Sharper should be given a chance to speak on his own behalf, and that the explorers should not judge him before he has been able to do so.

I'm all for welcoming Sharper back... cautiously. Which I think he'd completely understand.

Annacat

Strange that we disagree on this point. I'd personally welcome him back immediately, and I hope everyone else will as well. I don't think he'd completely understand us being cautious - I can see no reason to be. He helped further the explorer's cause more than anyone, and was one of the few that tried to rescue phil and try to uncover some of the darker secrets of the DRC...

I want to underline the fact that without Sharper, there would be no Great Tree.

Anna Catherine
Folklorist
Folklorist

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I want to underline the fact that without Sharper, there would be no Great Tree.

I understand that, and as I said, I am all for welcoming him back.

It's just that I don't actually know him, and he doesn't know me. I've never spoken to him. I have no reason to place complete trust in him... and at the moment he has no reason to place it in me either. That's the reason for my "wait and see" attitude.

That said, I have no particular reason to distrust him either, and I do trust Brian's judgment. I suppose I'm just paranoid. Wink

Either way, I am glad Sharper will be back. He certainly keeps things interesting. I hope I'll get a chance to meet him.

Annacat
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He's nothing if not interesting. Smile

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: