The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Introducing... Cate!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blade,

I understand your perspective on this, but at the same time... the liaisons are our mouthpiece and our ears for interaction with the DRC... so the DRC holding a "private" meeting with the DRC liaisons is sort of like whispering into someone's ear, "Don't let the rest of your body in on this."

And putting that argument aside, it seems rather silly that the question of "Can the liaisons discuss this meeting publicly?" wasn't answered at the meeting itself. Pretty big oversight that, again when the DRC liaisons are supposed to be our mouthpiece and our ears.

But, please understand that in no way am I implying this is the liaisons' fault. I just want to make that clear. I understand the liaisons are receiving quite a bit of flak over at DRCsite for their "handling" of the DRC's public introduction of Cate... while that criticism is misdirected as the mix-up was largely the DRC's own fault.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said elsewhere, if the Liaisons are supposed to be a free flow of information from the DRC to the Explorers, then it needs to work the other way, and we should be able to report to the the DRC everything the Liaisons hear.

If that's the case, then maybe the Great Tree needs to reevaluate if any of the Liaisons should actualy be members of TGT.

Unless of course, there's a double standard happening, and the explorers expect the DRC to spill all, without being willing to do the same.

I am a Liaison, not a mouthpeice, not a representative, not a banner waver for any group or person. I hear both sides, and I make my input to the other Liaisons based on what I feel works for EVERYONE.

BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have to disagree with you on this, Marten.

Yes, the DRCLs are there to facilitate communication between both groups. But that doesn't mean that everything they do has to be 100% transparent. That doesn't mean that everything they do is the business of every explorer.

The DRC, the DRC members and the DRCLs have the right to privacy, just like anyone else. And I think they have the right to common courtesy, just like eveyone else. I think to expect the DRCLs to just publicize every word they have with the DRC is unreasonable.

Honestly, I think we as a community have become a little too obsessed with the DRC. We write down everything they say. We write down what their children say when they visit. Yes, they are important people in the restoration. But they are still people.

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Gadren
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The question of whether the meeting was for the DRCLs eyes only or not was not clarified because, by default, they are considered to be released to the public. It's not like we "clear" each and every meeting with them before releasing it.

So Cate and Marie both were speaking under the assumption that it was public. Sadly, due to some confusion (mainly about the use of the word "private" to mean both "private attendance" and "private dissemination"), the DRCLs had thought it was "for our eyes only" and waited until later to confirm this.

I really hope you don't read too much into this. We aren't some sneaky group trying to withhold information. And in this case, I don't think the DRC can be blamed -- in fact, they should be commended for assuming that the meetings are public and not encouraging us to "clear" each meeting with them.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleri wrote:
As I said elsewhere, if the Liaisons are supposed to be a free flow of information from the DRC to the Explorers, then it needs to work the other way, and we should be able to report to the the DRC everything the Liaisons hear.

I think that would be quite reasonable. I would be willing to offer openness and transparency if I am assured to receive like in kind. I am now curious to see if other members of The Great Tree agree or disagree.

My perception is that our key purpose from the start has been to advocate sharing of information. Other activities in which this group was involved during the previous Restoration Effort were derived specifically from our dissatisfaction with the DRC's lack of fair and open communication at that time. Information flowed one direction only - from the DRC to the explorers - and even then, only at a trickle. Back then, the DRC seemed unreceptive to anyone else's ideas about how the Restoration should be run. And while the distinction may be lost on some, we never advocated that the DRC should perform the Restoration according to any specific plans, but rather, to have assurance that the DRC had considered others' ideas so the DRC could make better-informed judgements, and to share with us the rationale behind their decisions so that we, too, would be better-informed.

Whew. That got wordy. Sorry about that Smile Anyway... I don't want a double standard. And I don't think you should have to worry about leaving The Great Tree.

Eleri wrote:
I am a Liaison, not a mouthpeice, not a representative, not a banner waver for any group or person. I hear both sides, and I make my input to the other Liaisons based on what I feel works for EVERYONE.

I'm sorry, but just because you don't like a specific choice of words doesn't change the real nature of your position. You aren't representatives because you're not required to advocate on behalf of any group. But the role of a liaison is to be a mouthpiece, and to be a set of ears, between factions or groups. You are a communications link, so you speak for both "sides", and you listen for both "sides", carrying messages back and forth. If you feel differently then I am going to side with Cate on asking exactly what it is you should be doing for your job. I don't know how or why you pulled "banner-waver for any group or person" out of what I said. I expect the liaisons to report to the DRC on all of the explorers regardless of faction or concern, to give a fair and unbiased assessment of which way popular opinion seems to be blowing, and basically help the DRC prevent any public PR disasters from blossoming by keeping them aware of any growing negative sentiments. Likewise, if the DRC can offer any information to quell concerns or fears among the explorer communities, and unspin any nasty rumors that begin to circulate, then you become the channel through which that balm can be spread to the masses.

P.S. Please don't take any of my comments too personally. Smile

Gadren wrote:
I really hope you don't read too much into this. We aren't some sneaky group trying to withhold information. And in this case, I don't think the DRC can be blamed -- in fact, they should be commended for assuming that the meetings are public and not encouraging us to "clear" each meeting with them.

I greatly appreciate your clarification, Gadren. Smile It soothes me.
tkwiggins
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may add to this discussion as an outsider... with a caveat that what follows may seem to some as excessively harsh.

The problem is not with the liaisons. The problem has been and is with the DRC. From any analysis of management structure -- be it corporate, small workgroup, public relations, leadership, delegation of tasks, consistency of focus, internal organization or public communication -- the DRC is dysfunctional.

The DRC holds management power but fails to exercise even rudimentary management responsibility. Instead, it tasks those who have no power (the players) with creating a body of liaisons. Blatantly unresponsive to repeated calls to help define the liaisons' duties, and subsequently as much a failure at communicating with the liaisons as it was with the public at large, it squanders the enthusiasm, good will, communication abilities and organizational skills of the liaisons. By giving the liaisons no consistent, clearly visible public backing, the DRC inadvertently sets them up to take the public discontent that its own incompetence has fomented.

As management, the DRC is astonishingly inept. The notion that it is plotting or scheming to withhold information from the players is comical -- the DRC is far too disorganized to accomplish even basic management tasks (responding to email in a timely manner; showing up for a meeting on time; knowing what not to make public in its internal emails), much less plot sophisticated strategy.

How expert, dedicated or personable the members of the DRC may be as individuals is irrelevant; as a management structure the DRC has been and continues to be an unfocussed, unprofessional, unfortunate joke. Unfortunately, the joke is on all of us -- the liaisons especially.

As currently organized, the DRC is incompetent to deal with the expected mass influx of new explorers in the months and years to come.

Cate should immediately dissolve the group and start afresh with a new management structure.

Last edited by tkwiggins on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tkwiggins wrote:
The notion that it is plotting or scheming to withhold information from the players is comical -- the DRC is far too disorganized to accomplish even basic management tasks (responding to email in a timely manner; showing up for a meeting on time; knowing what not to make public in its internal emails), much less plot sophisticated strategy.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

That is a refreshing look at things, harsh or not. I like it Smile And it fits in well with an old creed:

"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."
JohnLynch
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BladeLakem wrote:
Honestly, I think we as a community have become a little too obsessed with the DRC. We write down everything they say. We write down what their children say when they visit. Yes, they are important people in the restoration. But they are still people.
I honestly thought long and hard before I included a Willow transcript on my site. When I started my site in 2003 there wasn't very many transcripts floating around, and there had been lots of conversations with the DRC that had never been archived, which meant some interesting information was lost. So I started my site to archive that info. Then there were the books on Tokotah Rooftop. Although they haven't changed in all the time I've been in D'ni, my expectation was that they would change. They were clearly works in progress so I wanted to archive that info while it was still around. Then there were posts on the DRC forums that were getting lost, because they'd been edited or deleted, so I started archiving those. A lot of the posts on my site are available nowhere else. Then there were the updates on the DRC site which are now completely gone except for my site. With some help from the site webmaster I was able to archive all of them. There is definitely valuable information in those old updates.

But then we move into the more controversial areas. For instance I came across Douglas Sharper's journal. Not once, but twice. The journals have extremely interesting information that I feel everyone should have. But they're also in the form of a private journal. Do I really have the right to put that on my site? I feel less worried about Phil's journal because people make journals of dead people available all the time. If Phil wants us to think he's dead, I'll use that as a good pretense to make his journal public. I also don't feel bad about putting up Dr. Watson's journal as his last entry clearly shows he left it there for others to read.

But Douglas Sharper's journals. Everything about me says its wrong to make that information available. That I should take it down. And yet, I haven't Sad I do think people need the information in it, and so I try to ignore my conscience.

I also worry about putting up transcripts of Willow on my site. She's not a restorer and is only 14 years old. I was originally going to not put up transcripts of just her, however when I read one I felt she offered an extremely unique perspective on the DRC. One that I feel the explorers would be less for doing without. So I put up a transcript of that conversation. But I wonder at future ones, whether or not I should.

So yeah, that's just my perspective on the issue.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: