The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Introducing... Cate!!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not underwhelmed by opening up the city. I'm underwhelmed by the announcement. "Well, we're working on things, and no I'm not going to answer questions and.. look the Courtyard is open! Bread and circuses! *link away*"

Myst Embassy: http://www.mystembassy.net
Myst Headlines - http://news.mystembassy.net
MOULagain KI#27460
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new Age is a new Age... After 3 years, I'm not about to start complaining now!!

There's also a log and picture of Cate and DRC here at the MOUL site. She's very... err... professional. Seems the sort who is concerned by numbers rather than feelings. This'll be interesting.

PS - After reading through the log, I'm wondering just where our beloved old Kodama went off to. The new one has a sense of humor, it just doesn't seem right! he he
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not sure what to make of Cate yet. On one hand she seems like a real mover getting the DRC into action opening up new areas and ages quickly. On the other, she seems even more secretive than the DRC itself. From what I could read out of the meeting transcripts, she is a private investor of the restoration, along with Turner and possibly others. And as such maintains control of the DRC. Her unwillingness to answer questions bothered me a bit, as I'm sure we would like to know more about her and the plans she has for the future.

Ashtar
Malakh
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I kinda like the new Kodama even if his humor seems to be in very bad taste.

As for being underwhelmed, I can understand to a degree but this is good news considering the progress the DRC has made so far since opening the cavern again. Which so far has been next to nothing. Now I know they are working diligantly to get back on their feet down here and get ages through the aproval phases but in 8 months they have shown no signs of progress to the explores so this is at least "something" even if it seems like a small "carrot on a stick".

Last edited by Malakh on Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Cycreim
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, she sort of breezed in and totally took over the DRC. They work for her now.

She seems nice... I'm not sure how to feel about her... I just hope that the restoration doesn't take a turn to D'ni: The Museum.
Saxy
Community Orchestrator
Community Orchestrator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She definitely looks all business. I suppose if I've invested a lot of my personal capital into a project, I would be too.

I'm disappointed by the lack of a question and answer session. She pretty much confirmed our basic suspicions. Wish she allowed at least a few questions. Or was a bit more specific on the explorers' roles in the cavern. She made a point of saying how important it is that we're there, but it's still vague. Confused

And why don't the famle explorers get hip clothing like hers in our closets? Probably because she's wearing Armani and the DRC/Yeesha/whoever is putting clothing into our closet can't afford designer clothing. Laughing

Not all who wander are lost... (MJ fixed my sig!)
KI: 38931
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I want to wear my belt over my shirt too!!
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
I have to admit, if the new age is just one of the small garden ages of which we've seen pictures, I will be underwhelmed, too.
Considering the Cavern isn't even officially opened I'm happy to hear any Age will be released now Smile

BladeLakem wrote:
Bread and circuses! *link away*"
Yes, she's most definitely very manipulative IMO. I want to know what was said at the liaison meeting (if there was one).

As for what I think of Cate, here's what I said elsewhere
Quote:
Oh this just confirms every single one of my fears concerning Cate. She's been around for a full year at least and she's not said 1 word in that entire time. This is not a good sign about how open she'll be. She is most definitely running this like a business, when it should be run as much like an archeological dig/restoration site as possible. Part of that is the fact that areas should only be opened when they're safe to explore. The DRC has told us that they'll quite possibly (if they aren't already) keep areas that are safe to explore closed for "other reasons." It also sounds like she'll rush the DRC to open up areas which means that eventually she'll probably rush them too much and they'll be opened when they're not safe.

IMO if the DRC is unable to open any areas for 3 months, then so be it. If they're able to open 10 areas in 1 month, then so be it. They should not open up areas prematurely or keep safe areas closed so they can have a buffer. IMO Cate will cause them to do both. If she hasn't already, it's only a matter of time.

I also dislike how this introduction went and IMO it is indicative of how Cate will be in the future. Even Turner came down for Town Hall Meetings and was open to questions being asked that they answered. Cate has been unwilling to do either for 12 months and still hasn't done either.
Although I might be slightly wrong with the 12 months, but whenever Turner started funding the DRC is when she definitely appeared (IMO).
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bothers me is WHY Cate decided to take this job... why she, apparently, invested so much money into the venture. What does she know about D'ni?
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question hearkens back to the day when we questioned the DRC's motivation for restoring D'ni. It's hard to believe, based on Cate's demeanor, that she's in interested in this endeavor from a scientific perspective. And if it's purely a business POV, what are her plans for the Cavern. It's still WAY too early and unfair to cast Cate in a negative light...I'm just supposing out loud.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Professor Askew wrote:
It's still WAY too early and unfair to cast Cate in a negative light...I'm just supposing out loud.

That's a very good point, and one we need to make sure people remember. Already people trash talking her on the forums, kind of sad actually.

Innocent until proven guilty, eh? Wink
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, we don't know anything about her, really. I'm not fond of how the announcement went, but we really don't have any idea about how this Cate is as a manager of resources/activities or as a person. She may simply be a no-nonsense sort of person.

MOULagain KI#27460
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is also possible that the meeting was kept short to avoid the unintentional violation of "Maximum Occupation" regulations, as hundreds of explorers attempted to link into the same area all at once.

Faced with an exponentially growing crowd, I'd want to keep my announcements short, too!

I heard the Town Hall on December 19 was a fiasco even before the strange scream took place, just due to the crowd problem.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double Poast! Flawless Hijack!

At DRCsite, Gadren posted the following link to the DRCL notes from their meeting with Cate Alexander. Curiously, the meeting notes were withheld until today to clear their release with Marie. Hmm. Very Hmm.

http://www.mystembassy.net/drcliaisons/?q=node/591
BladeLakem
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's common courtesy to ask if details from a private meeting can be released.

MOULagain KI#27460
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: