The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

DRC Gone?!?!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
taniith
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: DRC Gone?!?! Reply with quote

http://www.drcsite.org/

Quote:
As you know, I am not a man of many words and so I will be both direct and brief today. The restoration effort is canceled. While the DRC came to this conclusion some time ago, we have held off on a public announcement, in hope that our early conclusions were not necessarily true and alternatives could be found. They were not. Dr. Watson has still not returned, funding has dried up, and we are left with no choice.

As a result, the cavern will be closed to all visitors within a week. The DRC will continue to maintain a small presence while we close the restoration site down and remove what equipment we can. We never intended on making such an announcement and all of us at the DRC are as disappointed as we assume you are.

I am not going to make an attempt to counter such news with spin or contrived good news, but I will say this, though I never thought I would: many of you have already met the woman who calls herself Yeesha. You have seen her powers - abilities that are far beyond our own. Perhaps, there is more that she has for us. Perhaps there are still ways some of you may be able to see D'ni. Perhaps she can do what we could not. Perhaps there is hope.

Thank you all for your patience and support. We are extremely saddened that we could not reward such faith with a restored and prosperous D'ni.

Sincerely,

Dr. Ikuro Kodama

Uhhhm... hmm

Am I seeing things?
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the heck is going on? This is all getting very confusing. After Kam's record-breaking announcement last night at UO that the plug is being pulled on Uru, this announcement from the DRC does nothing to make us think otherwise. However, everything is still either just a rumor or an IC announcement. I'm still not going to sweat all this until I receive a personal e-mail from Ubi Soft to me...the registered user of their product, that they thank me for my patronage thus far but it's all over. You don't need a week to shut down the Cavern, you just pull the plug. No electricity. Capice? So, the real question is...what's going on? What are the other ways into the Cavern that Kodama alludes to?

Or is this just his funny way of saying we have serious maintenance to do so no entry for a little while? I'm not sure...but I think all this vagueness is starting to irritate me. Not sure. Just a thought.

EDIT: Well, I guess I was wrong. My optimism didn't work. I'm very disappointed in Cyan. After spending the last few months defending them, assuring others that everything would be fine, the rug has been pulled out from under all of us. Looking at the situation now...I think they should have invited everyone in after all the bugs were worked out and perhaps they could have started charging sooner. Better word of mouth might have existed. Forums would have responded more positively. The energy would have been positive rather than negative.

The brightest spot in the last month or so has been my association with the Great Tree Neighborhood and Forum. Met some really great people and got involved in the most exciting storyline to come out of Uru. Plus, I think we were really trying to do something with good intentions (and fun!)

This was my first exposure to online gaming. And to forums in any meaningful way. I don't think I'll be jumping back into anything like this anytime soon. This letdown has been exhausting. And aside from meeting all you terrific people, a lot of my time has been wasted. That's the flipside. Hard to focus on all the good things after this.

Anyway, it's been greating meeting you all. And Brian, if anything ever changes with all this...you have my e-mail address. Farlesis, I'll see you on Instant Messenger. Take care.

-Professor Askew-

Last edited by Professor Askew on Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
KiKi
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi taniith,

I can't find this post by Dr Kodama on the DRC website. Can you list the exact web address where you found it?

I don't mean to doubt you but there have been so many hoaxes floating out there that I would like to read it for myself on their forum before I react in any way to what you posted.

Thanks
Kam Uraki
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rand pulled the plug, himself. It's over. May I just say that it was nice meeting all of you, and that I'm sorry all of our hard work was for nothing in the end. May you all have long and happy lives. Crying or Very sad
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be for naught, but I am going to draft an open letter to Cyan. One advantage of the online communities we have forged is that we may yet be able to influence Cyan, a real world organization, much as we hoped to influence the DRC in the online world.

In my opinion, there is really no understandable reason for the online portion of the game to end, and one week seems like a short time to warn people that the servers will be shutdown (based on the DRCsite.org comment, caverns closed in one week). There are other successful online games such as Everquest that, while attracting perhaps a different audience type, use a different model for supporting continued content. Everquest uses the expansion pack system yet is still an online game. I believe Cyan is being shortsighted if they convert everything to single player.

But, I hope to state that in a more eloquent and suggestive manner in a letter that I will put together over the next day or so.
KiKi
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

found this post... boo-hoo!! Crying or Very sad

http://care.ubi.com/support/ubisoft.cfg/php.exe/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=xl1*Y63h&p_lva=&p_faqid=1509&p_created=1075933542&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTU1JnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT00JnBfcHJvZF9sdmwyPTImcF9jYXRfbHZsMT03NiZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=
Mystlander
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I hope the Expansion Packs will include Multiplayer capabilities so we can still get together over our IPs and LANs. I <<<shudder>>> at the thought of never seeing my Great Tree friends and neighbors, again, in the Ages of URU... Crying or Very sad
URU Live KI #: 50911 MOULa KI #11697212
Ashtar
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2004 8:27 pm    Post subject: I'm in Shock! Reply with quote

To say I'm in shock is an understatement. I thought the news today from
Dr. Watson and the DRC would be that they would be opening up new
ages and other areas to explore in Ae'gura. Instead, I'm reading about
the death of Uru Live.

Uru Live was my first online game experience. I loved the single player
game so much, and could invision the possibilities of what Uru Live could
become. Apparently, Ubisoft didn't have the same vision, and I'm
extremely disappointed with them. Sure, there were problems with the
Live portion, we have all complained about them. But I knew that in time
the problems could be worked out and Uru Live could be a online
experience like no other. As far as I'm concerened, they didn't even give
it a chance. How in the world can they base their predictions of a
subscriber base when the game hasn't officially been launched?

This is the first time I had been involved with the story of D'ni, and had
just ordered the three books "Myst: The book of Atrus, Ti'ana, and D'ni".
From being in Uru Live and the Great Tree hood, I wanted to learn more
about the history of D'ni and the Myst culture. Although I will still pursue
my studies, I certainly won't do so with as much enthusiasm as I would
have.

Although we won't be able to meet in the hood anymore, I will still keep
track of what's going on here and on the Uru forums. It's been wonderful
meeting all of you, and making new online friends of the Great Tree.

Ashtar

(P.S. I'll still be in the hood until they pull the plug. See you there!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Cavern All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: