The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Rawa interview

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 7:02 am    Post subject: Rawa interview Reply with quote

Heya folks, just came across an interview I hadn't seen previously. Its from the run up to Myst V's release. It has some interesting tidbits contained in it. The one I found particularly interesting was this bit from interview 3 when Rawa was talking about the "random" element in Age writing.:

Quote:
And that’s where Yeesha’s “power” comes in. Yeesha is the only known Writer in all of D’ni history that seems to have an innate talent to control which of the matching Ages will be selected. An example of how powerful this talent can be was shown in Uru and in the second expansion for Uru (The Path of the Shell), where she demonstrates the ability to link to two specific and distinct versions of what appears to be the same Age.

Part One:
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/game/2005/02/09/interview-with-cyan-game-designer-richard-watson/
Part Two:
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/game/2005/02/10/interview-with-richard-watson-part-ii/
Part Three:
http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/game/2005/02/11/interview-with-richard-watson-part-iii/
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Dan! I'll be back after I finish reading.
Erik
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! It was nice to read! Very Happy

RAWA wrote:
The “Great Tree of Possibilities” was a great strength in the Art of Writing. Since there are so many possibilities, any description that could be written existed somewhere in the Tree. However, this was also one of the Art’s greatest weaknesses. Regardless of how detailed a Writer’s Age description was, there were countless Ages on the Tree that matched it - and there’s a chaotic element (random, beyond the Writer’s control) as to which of the matching Ages a written Book will link to.

For the most part, this limitation didn’t cause many problems. After all, if two Ages are similar enough that you can’t tell the difference between them, it usually wouldn’t matter which one was selected. But there are times when the ability to Write a link to a specific “instance” of an Age could be extremely useful.

And that’s where Yeesha’s “power” comes in. Yeesha is the only known Writer in all of D’ni history that seems to have an innate talent to control which of the matching Ages will be selected. An example of how powerful this talent can be was shown in Uru and in the second expansion for Uru (The Path of the Shell), where she demonstrates the ability to link to two specific and distinct versions of what appears to be the same Age.

That also explains why everyone has "his/her own" Teledahn/Kemo/Gira/Gahreesen, doesn't it? Smile
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
That also explains why everyone has "his/her own" Teledahn/Kemo/Gira/Gahreesen, doesn't it? Smile

Good call... Cuz every one of ours is slightly differnt. bridge up, bridge down, elevators on differnt floors, etc. Even our Reltos are differnt - even if we all have the same pages turned on, if nothing else there are different clothes missing from our closets! I hadn't thought about it in quite that way before...
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, we could never meet Douglas Sharper in our Teledahn... only in the "original" instance...
Daedalus
Overseer / Architect
Overseer / Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erik wrote:
So, we could never meet Douglas Sharper in our Teledahn... only in the "original" instance...

Well, actually... Very Happy
janaba1
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was really fascinating!!! Wow!!! Razz

I could go on reading eternally about the
"Quantum Theory" and the "Parallel Universes"...
and "The Great Tree of Possibilities"
RAWA wrote:
What the D’ni seemed to have concluded (proved?) though, is that those probability waves don’t cease to exist altogether, instead each possibility continues to exist in an alternate quantum reality (read “parallel universe”), until a state is observed in that quantum reality, and the possibilities not observed in that quantum reality continue to exist in still another quantum reality, and so on ad infinitum. This means that every possible combination of quantum events since the creation of the universe exists in a quantum reality somewhere. The D’ni called this “The Great Tree of Possibilities”...
... The Art of Writing allows observation of (thus locking of) and travel to those quantum realities...
... The “Great Tree of Possibilities” was a great strength in the Art of Writing. Since there are so many possibilities, any description that could be written existed somewhere in the Tree...

I think I've read something like that in the books of the Kings,
cause I still didn't read the Novels...

Loved to read that and contemplating about it...
Thanks for posting dcosgrove

Jana Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> D'ni Research All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: