The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

The Story of The Great Tree
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: The Story of The Great Tree Reply with quote

Well, here's our new forum...for our new project....

Our goal for the remainder of this year is to document the events that took place in the Cavern from November of 2003 until February of 2004. That is, events that led to the formation of The Great Tree through the machinations of Douglas Sharper, Brian Fioca, Kam Uraki, Daedalus, and all the others who were instrumental in the formation of this group.

By converting our vast store of chat logs into "scripts", we hope to create short movies of what came before. In doing so we hope to....

1) Show new Explorers what they missed the first time the Cavern was opened to the public.

2) Reveal in the light of day certain questions that have still not been answered two and a half years later.

3) Recharge the GT group and prepare them for the official re-opening of the Cavern at the end of the year.

The movies will be filmed with the assistance of any and all volunteers, GT members or not. They will be released to the public in episodic fashion in multiple languages (I hope).

It's a big project that may or may not come to fruition but we will try. We hope everyone enjoys the output.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might...MIGHT still have the chat log from when you, me, and Brian tossed this idea around on Tapestry way back when. I dunno if the event shard can be brought back up, but greypiffle had offerted the use of at the time. That might solve some of the costuming issues, if Sharper and Phil's doubles can be hauled out of storage.

Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eleri, there is still some debate as to which "wardrobe" to dip from. Right now this is looking like a D'mala only project except for some possible scenic location photography on other shards. Which means our actors will have to do the best they can with what they have on D'mala to impersonate DRC members.
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have missed something recently. Why are we going to be working on D'mala?

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To remain in the public eye and generate Explorer interest in the project.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm totally stoked you guys are doing this. Sorry I can't participate, but surface life is rather hectic right at the moment and I'd hate to commit to a project that I couldn't follow through on. But you've all got my moral support, and I'll leave cookies in the hood whenever I can, and I can't wait for the finished product!

I remember Brian started to tell the story awhile ago, and though I know the general idea of it, I don't know all the facts. It was an important part of the First Wave of the restoration, and I'm glad we're doing something about preserving it for posterity!

~Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Rils! Very Happy
Saxy
Community Orchestrator
Community Orchestrator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pretty deep into the Great Tree activities back in the day and was keeping up on the news, but since all of the stories we wish to revive have taken place over two years ago, I need a serious refresher course. I've been trying to catch up on all of these threads and chat logs during my down time at work and it's proving to be quite a job.

I just wanted to suggest making this thread stickied; I really feel like it's a good starting point for anyone coming in here wanting to know more about the project. Good, simple summary. Smile

Edit: I just came across this chat log from the UO sit-in. Definitely brought back a flood of memories and made my heart race from the memory of the excitement and anticipation during that time in Prologue. It was amusing and touching to read a summary I gave to new protesters of the situation between Sharper, Phil, and the DRC; amusing because I really needed that reminder of what was happening via reading my own playback of the events and touching because it was a me from another time (and perhaps a me I can recapture in the near future).

Not all who wander are lost... (MJ fixed my sig!)
KI: 38931
Lord Chaos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone written a summary of Cavern events during Prologue and Live? What I'd like to find is a source that describes the formation of the various groups (Great Tree, Safety First, Guild of Greeters, others), how they came about and how things worked out.

People must know these things, but I've not found any single-point source. Bits and pieces here and there, if you ferret things out and look in odd disused corners.

I would like to know personally, and such a source would also help Ghaelen's D'ni History Project. I figure this is the place to ask because you must have an overall plan for the video series.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...let's see... I don't believe there's a single source for your answers.

Obviously, the majority of Great Tree history can be found right here at this forum and the upcoming documentary series.

Safety First started with Plinthon. At least, she led the group. She can probably be found at the DRC forums as she has recently reappeared and is running for a liaison spot. essjay can probably be of help in this regard as well.

I know nothing about the GoG other they were formed by the time Prologue began. I believe the DRC put them together but I don't remember who was there from the beginning.
Rils
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea who the original Greeters were, but I'm fairly sure they started up around January 04 when the great "Clerical Error" happened. That's when I got into Prologue, and it seems they were just setting it up then. I remember the big "Hey, come check out the Greeters hood" when it opened.

But then again, I may be way off. Rolling Eyes

I don't really remember too many other "factions", or groups. Many of the current groups (Slackers, Amber Horizons, those sorts) may have started then as a group of friends but didn't really come into their own until we got UU and everyone started setting up their own shards. TGT and GOG were the only "official" groups (in that they recieved direct recognition in-game), and beyond Safety First, I can't think of any others that were well known.

~Rils
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://news.patchallel.com/archive/archive_jun2004.htm

Quote:
A Little Guild of Greeters History
In reply to a query, CAGrayWolf wrote: "... the GoG was formed out of another group during the beta called PartyTown. This was a neighborhood that had the basic idea of helping but never quite got off the ground for a couple of reasons. Out of this group four of the main leaders then with suggestions and support from Randomos (Ron Myers Myst Worlds Community Manager) formed the Guild of Greeters. This was in August of 2003.
"About this time Tijara was appointed Grand Master and with help from appointed Guild Masters posted in the Uru Beta forums for volunteers to be Greeters. A sub forum was set up within the beta forums just for the GoG. It was from here that the GoG grew and gained experience to the upcoming release of Uru and for Prologue (open beta).
"Tijara and the Guild Masters had been working of the forums you see now since October but were not allowed to make them public until the actual release of Uru and the ending on our NDA (Non-Disclosure Agreement). Around the first of October Tijara had asked me if I would be a moderator for the forums ... and I agreed. I was not even a Greeter yet. About a month after the opening of these forums I became Lead moderator and then on 31 December 2003 at about 11:30PST Tijara IM'd me on MSN and announced the invitation to become a Guild Master myself. After a few minutes and a couple of questions ... I accepted. My main concern was these forums as I did not want to give them up and so remain as Lead Moderator / Forum Administrator.
"On 17 November 2003 the Guild of Greeters website and forums officially opened to the public ... the same day Uru: Ages Beyond Myst was released. We have steady grown since this time. Even with the demise of Uru Live (prologue) on 9 February 2004 we stayed strong although we did lose about a 1/3 of our members cause they couldn't handle the loss and felt so totally empty. This was a very saddening time for all of us and many did feel that the GoG would fall without Uru Live. Again, we held strong to our beliefs and the rest of us stayed on and as per our original goals ... continue to help, nudge and support fellow explorers ... both old and new (like yourselves).
"As you have already noticed and made comments about ... we have a great community here that are very special and very friendly. We base our reputation on this for obvious reasons. The same goes with my GoG forum and Live Chat staff ... they were all selected for what they do best ... keeping things organized and running smoothly."

CuzinJohn
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rils wrote:
I don't really remember too many other "factions", or groups. Many of the current groups (Slackers, Amber Horizons, those sorts) may have started then as a group of friends but didn't really come into their own until we got UU and everyone started setting up their own shards. TGT and GOG were the only "official" groups (in that they recieved direct recognition in-game), and beyond Safety First, I can't think of any others that were well known.

I distinctly remember the group of people who figured out how to hack the color palletes for their wardrobes, and all gave themselves clothing colored to match their fleshtones. They called themselves "the Guild of Nudists" and had fun streaking through the cavern. Shocked

Ahh... good times... Laughing

Science is how you talk about the universe with words that bind it to a common reality.
Magic is how you talk to the universe with words that it cannot ignore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Lord Chaos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the link, and the quote, Marten. The GoG formed earlier than I thought. Details, details. Like any other fractal design, the closer you look the more comes up.
Eleri
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which link is the best one to use for public distribution of the movies?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: