The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Sharper's Image Hood?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 12:52 pm    Post subject: Sharper's Image Hood? Reply with quote

Anybody know anything about this? It was posted on both the DRC and the Uru Live forum's by Dragonmac.

Quote:
A new hood is starting on the Shards called "Sharper's Image". This is for TRUE supporters of Doug's point of view. Not like the more moderate hoods we will be true to Mr. Sharper. Come join us as I make the hoods public soon!!

PS I need Help so if you want to be involved please leave me messages here or PM me.
Kev
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm...I haven't heard of it. However, I have to admit that's a clever name.

Anyone want to take bets on how long it takes until someone accuses us of being associated with it? Confused

-Kevin
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears Dragonmac is an explorer who has decided to adopt some aspect--or at least, some perceived aspect--of Douglas Sharper's teachings, and has come to the conclusion that more radical beliefs are the right ones. He alludes to other neighborhoods as 'moderate' and claims that his 'hood will be "true to Mr. Sharper".

I think Dragonmac probably is--at least, at the time of posting this message, I think he was--alone in forming this 'Hood. He does say he needs help getting this new 'hood running.

The question, I think, is what effect this will have on the Great Tree. Will we suffer negative association, as Kev believes, or look better in comparison? I think the first is more likely.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I think people people are going to assume that it could be something to do with the Great Tree, well those who are quick to jump to conclusions anyway.

Also if there hoping to draw Sharper to their hood, there going to be in for a very long wait. From what I know Sharper only trusts and talks to a very few amount of people, which is hardly surprising after the DRC's treatment of him. But it will be interesting to see what happens with that hood.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems odd that Dragon would do something like this without Douglas Sharper's support and endorsement. He 's lucky he's not trying this on the surface or he might get sued for Trademark infringement or some such thing.

Without a more public Sharper, the association may do us some harm. On the other hand, it's not like we're all running around talking up Douglas Sharper. The name doesn't come up a lot in this forum. And many of the new visitors to the Cavern don't even know who he is outside of his journal in Teledahn.

The more I think about it, the less concerned I am about it. DragonMac's just making a lot of work for himself. And that approach never works in the long run. Only short-term satisfaction. Sharper doesn't even do it Sharper's way anymore. We're looking at the big picture. The Big Tree, if you will.
Zen-17
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I suppose this likely won't get very far off the ground. But if Dragonmac doesn't let off, and instead continues to push, it may cause problems.

News does travel fast and it might be possible for Dragonmac or others to make Sharper's name known among new and experienced explorers alike in a bad way.

I guess just watching and seeing how this develops is the thing.
Saxy
Community Orchestrator
Community Orchestrator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2004 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Farlesis pointed out, it's going to be hard for him, especially without Sharper's endorsement. I'm sure Sharper won't just go walking in there trusting the guy... Sharper's very careful about who he trusts. Dragon is pretty gutsy, especially without Doug backing him. Confused

Not all who wander are lost... (MJ fixed my sig!)
KI: 38931
U'anme
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Dragonmac does know about us and decided we were one of those "more moderate hoods." We do, after all, support Phil, Zandi, and Yeesha a swell. It would be logical for an outsider to conclude(hopefully) that we are not just a "What would Sharper do?" group.

I would worry about others thinking that Dragonmac is one of us trying to make our group look more moderate by making one more extreme.
Aahz
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And how is this bad?

Dragonmac just stated that *WE* were the moderates, and he is the true follower of Sharper. Seeing as most view us as the extremists, and this guy is saying that we're not, the heat will more focus on the next thing that he does.

We're trying to get people to talk. He's taking the role of the extremist.

Now, we just need to work on being a little less reactionary at the first drop of a hat (or note as the case may be).

Atrus: 02529227
Katran: 02231030
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As DragonMac used to be a member of the GT Hood (he/she is still listed on my hood list), I am suspicious as to the motivations of this new group. If that makes me paranoid then I can handle that Very Happy

But over the past weeks I've come to the realisation that there are people who wish to discredit the hard work many people have done here. Why? I don't know, there are many reasons and motivations for people to do such things.

It's sad and it makes me very sad, that now we still can't learn from the mistakes some of the D'ni people made, that we can't learn to find common ground and work together for the good of the cavern.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take heart, Farlesis. We are on the right track and this is only the beginning. Frankly, I'm surprised we've reached the train of thought we've reached as a group so quickly. It's the right path, I think, and all we have to do is stick with it, let it stretch out and broaden, and grow with it. Reactionaries and extremists will prove to be a flash in the pan, you'll see. They make noise, get their fifteen minutes of fame, but eventually submit to overriding logic, reason, purpose, strength of will, and vision. They see the little pictures and seek instant gratification where we see the big picture and patiently move forward to achieve our goal, everyone working together to make D'ni live again.
NSymon
Friend of The Great Tree
Friend of The Great Tree

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As always Professor you are a Sea of Calm words. Thank you.
Kam Uraki
Veteran Explorer
Veteran Explorer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like to think of our progress like this Wink

Quote:
Come in here dear boy,
Have a cigar,
You're gonna go far!
You're fly high!
You're never gonna die,
You're gonna make it if you try,
They're gonna love you!
- Pink Floyd, Have A Cigar
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My advice?

Pay them no attention.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Neighborhood All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: