The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

Episode Four - "The Power of Returning"
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Episode Four - "The Power of Returning" Reply with quote

Given my sorry lack of knowledge of the timeline of events, I need some assistance with gathering the proper and relevant chat logs for Episode 3. Once I've got chat logs, I'll piece them together and weed out the unnecessary stuff.

So, if I am following correctly, Episode 2 carries us to the end of November, 2003?
How much time will Episode 3 cover?

I'm looking in the Chat logs section of TGT website and the earliest chat logs I'm seeing start from December 11th, after Sharper went on the Journey(?? that seems pretty abrupt.. I thought that occurred later, toward the end of prologue)! That's a big chunk missing after the end of November. What significant things happened in that span of time, and where can I find more logs?

I can think of a title once I know the general theme of the events we'll be covering.

Edit: Alright, clearly the Chat Logs section is not the only place on the website to find Chat Logs. (Site Redesign!) I'll re-read through the Project Structure thread and see what I can find from the Stories archive.

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake

Last edited by Moiety Jean on Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten's got an outline here somewhere........

/me looks around the Story of The Great Tree forums'z.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found it!
I think I will copy the episodes outline into its own thread so we can reference it more quickly.

Edit: once Brian's done filming and we get back from the concert, that is...

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thegreattree.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?p=9744#9744

My proposed Ep 3 title is "The Power of Returning", although other titles may be proposed by anyone.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jean, as I mentioned in the Episode Two thread, the changes I made to the Episode Two script have impacted this one slightly in that you might want to include this CHAT LOG with the other two that have already been slated for this episode. I haven't re-read all three logs yet (but I will this week) but some of the material may be redundant. You may want to get clever with it.

Anyway, I'm going to move on to Episode Four. Jean, feel free to contact me at any time for any reason regarding this episode.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok. I already have a fair bit of material for Episode 3, but I'm not sure how to figure out how long it will end up being. My first draft took about 4 and 1/2 minutes to read aloud.

I've been working with Brian on what is significant about episode 3. Seems like one of the key points to get across is that Phil seems to have picked up the ability to link without a book, like Yeesha can, but he is aware of it only in an off-handed way.

If we need to start with the encounter between MrM3FaN and Phil, we can do that, though for the moment the script seems somewhat piecemeal.

KI#44727
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I previously had a very angsty post here. This is still angsty, but Daedalus saw the original message and spoke to me about it, and I think I am a little cooled down now. So I will try to express, without attacks or accusations, what is troubling me.

I feel like I'm carrying most of the weight of this project on my own shoulders. What weight isn't on my shoulders has been on Professor Askew's. In neither case does this seem fair.

On several occasions, people have volunteered to perform tasks to assist with the project, but then they never say when they will finish. In several cases, either Professor Askew or I got tired of waiting and did the tasks ourselves. It's hard to know if any work is being done at all, if no-one agrees to or proposes a target date, and no-one gives progress updates. I started asking for someone to write Episode 2 on August 15. Professor Askew (who was not the person who originally agreed to write it) finally posted a draft today, three weeks later. The script is beautiful, but it throws a monkey wrench into things because I see how long it will take to complete 10 episodes, and I've tried to push ahead with filming... and now the scenes I had expected to film tomorrow, for which I sent out announcements, aren't part of any script in my hands. I'll get back to that in a moment.

Uru is just a game in the end... and this project should not be something that any of us dreads or dislikes doing. But I am finding that I like it less and less because Professor Askew and I seem to be the only two persons who have shown we really mean business about doing this project. There has been some "rah-rah" from the sidelines and that's about it. Only Cycreim had much to say about the 10 original proposed episodes. He helped us trim it down to that point... but perhaps it is still too much. Perhaps we need to stop, back up, and rethink how much work it will be to produce 10 episodes, when we couldn't get the necessary volunteer work done just to produce a _script_ over three weeks. To get the ten episodes (plus "Zero") done before Christmas, we need to do an episode every 1.5 weeks. If we let it slide to 2 weeks, we won't be done until February! And if it takes that long... I don't think we'll ever finish.

If we can pull together and work together as a team on this project, I know that we can do this. It _is_ work, but as I told Professor Askew... getting past Episode Two is the watermark. We've got Episode Zero almost done. I will have Episode One done in another week. If we can get through Episode Two, then we'll see just how excited the community is about our work, and that will be the point where the enthusiasm is enough to keep us going to the very end.

But the two of us cannot do everything. It is causing problems. It doesn't matter to me if the events of November 28, 2003 are in Episode 2 or 3... but it does matter if I am recreating those events on September 10, 2006, and the events I had planned to film were just kicked out of Episode 2 into Episode 3 at the last minute, leaving me wondering exactly what I am going to film at 10AM Pacific the next day. I don't like surprises and I don't like last minute changes. I proposed that we cover Nov 26, 28, and 29 in Episode Two more than three weeks ago. Nobody commented that we should bump the 28th to Episode 3 back then. Instead, it hit me blindsided today, _after_ I sent out announcements just the previous night that we'd be filming the 28th on Sunday. And because the scene was not scripted out, I'm faced with filming it ad-hoc and wasting a lot of time to capture parts that may not make it into the final script.

So I hope people will understand that I am frustrated right now. If anyone doesn't like the pace this project is running, and you cannot keep up... please don't just say "Sorry I am not keeping up!" Think about the sort of pace you feel is reasonable. Look at a calendar and do the math. Consider how quickly Uru Live release is approaching. Then focus on the story we want to tell, and start making cuts until it fits into a schedule you can live with. Make a proposal and we can move forward.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what to do to ease your frustrations myself except to tell you that I'll have a finalized script for you for episode 3 by the due date on the Project Schedule.. Sad

I sympathise with you, and if this post was directed at me, know that i have been working diligently on my script even if i haven't posted a first draft yet. It has been slightly slow going because I haven't got a feel for what kind of creative control I will have with this. I have been writing with the constant thoughts in mind of "How can I make this easiest for Marten to film" and "Will they want me to cut this part out in the interests of time?"

When I feel I've got the best cut of the chat logs I've been working with (and the one we're bumping, if we're still doing that) I will post a text file for your comments and suggestions. Brian has been very interested and helpful with this script, giving me insight into his experiences at these events, so I feel it's going well. It's also helped me realize some important changes I need to make, so I will make those before I post a script.

I'm sorry I posted a few days ago that I'd have a script for you the next day, and then didn't follow up. I meant to go back and say that I realized the deadline of the 8th was for Script 2 and not 3, so I would exercise more time and make it better. That is what I am doing now. I haven't shrugged off the project, not at all. I am working according to the dates in the Schedule. I guess I poorly assumed that by posting in the episode threads you would know I was still here and still paying attention (and still working).

I'm not 100% sure whether we will be able to be at filming tomorrow, if you still have parts to film, but we will try.

KI#44727
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Current status of episode 3 script:

Chat logs
http://www.thegreattree.com/tree/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=31
http://www.thegreattree.com/tree/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=30
and
http://www.thegreattree.com/tree/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=32

have been integrated into the script, and I have done most of the trimming. However, I realise after consulting with Brian that I have clipped a few, small, key parts that I should work back in.
Some actions are partly blocked in. I will add more once I am happy with all the dialogue that I've included, and can consult some more with Brian on accurate character actions.
This should take another day or two. If I don't have time to sit and solidly work on the script tomorrow, I should definitely be able to do so Monday, and I am reasonably sure I will post a script Tuesday the 12th if not before.

I haven't had time yet to thoroughly read the chat log Professor suggested we bump to my script. Please let me know if there is anything in it that you feel safe that we could depict in narrative text, or whether we should definitely film it all. I will find some time tomorrow to read it, and knowing how I need to treat it will help me go forward more quickly. Tomorrow, I will also read Professor's episode 2 script which I have downloaded.

KI#44727
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just wanted to say that from my perspective, this project is going much better than I could have hoped. Well done, Marten and Prof and Jean and Daed and everyone else involved.

I haven't been as involved as I could be, but it's mainly because you guys seem to be doing an excellent enough job. My initial expectations were that this was probably going to fizzle at some point, since it was such a huge undertaking. The fact that it has gotten this far is pretty great in and of itself. /cheer

I'm less concerned with deadline slippage than anyone, probably. This is because if it does happen, it's probably either because someone was overloaded, or the quality isn't quite up to what we want it to be. If we were releasing software, I'd be more worried about deadlines, but art is slightly different, it's done when it's done.

You guys are doing a great job. Thanks again, especially Marten and Prof for going the extra mile. If any of us get elected Liason, we should make sure that everyone sees these.

Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I just let some stress get to me last night and needed to get a few general comments out of my system.

It is good to hear that we're not too terribly concerned about the schedule. I do have to say though, I am excited most about the last episode - the Accident. I'm salivating to get to that. But I see we have all these highly important events leading up to it, and I just don't see a way to cut it down anymore without losing some of the lessons we want others to learn.

I'm not going to retract the filiming plan for this morning, and I would love to see many TGTers attend. I'm going to stick more or less to the chat log for November 28 and film that... but I could still use assistance in figuring out exactly where this event occurred. It's hard for me to envision it happening near the top of the stairs, yet someone asked if a barrier could be removed. So I was thinking of filming it near the pub, halfway up the stairs.

Edit This morning's filmshoot is delayed as the Round Table #1 is running late.
Moiety Jean

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First draft of Episode Three's script is here:

http://www.fioca.com/jean/media/GT_EpisodeThree_JeanEdit_v1.txt

I'm sure it runs quite long. We will work on this. Let the comments begin.

KI#44727
brian
Fearless Leader
Fearless Leader

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great great great! Cool

(and not just because I'm in it!)

Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely wonderful! I'll add comments later. I'm pleased that things are moving along!

I will be posting an announcement to the Episode Zero thread in just a few minutes, too.
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll read this at work this morning and return with comments. Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> The Story of The Great Tree All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 1 of 14

Jump to: