The Great Tree Forum Index The Great Tree
still kickin'

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   Poster ListPoster List   Member ListMember List  UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Links:   great tree   uru live   uru obsession   drc site  

Documentaries:    learn the story of the great tree

My Kagi doesn't work with Great Tree
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
LegoAddict
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: My Kagi doesn't work with Great Tree Reply with quote

Hi.

I couldn't find another place to post this, so sorry if it's out of place.

I have a Kagi Key (MODS, PM me for Kagi info) that won't log onto Great Tree (or any Shard but Slacker's or D'mala, for that matter, and D'mala doesn't like it either)

Help?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Ashtar?
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Saw this problem mentioned elsewhere - another person in the discussion said that as far as they knew, Lego's ISP has routing problems.
LegoAddict
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone know if I can temporarily disable my wireless' enrcyption, because Tomala said that UU didn't like encrypted wireless (I mean, without dismatleing everything and then having to set it back up.)

Papa Smurf also concluded that my router was the source of the problem. The reason I'm posting is because my Kagi didn't work on Slacker's until Papa Smurf enabled it. I thought there might be the same kind of deal here too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Professor Askew
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Ashtar?
Moiety Jean
First Lady of the Great Tree
First Lady of the Great Tree

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL. Where is Ashtar lately, anyway?

...beta? Wink

KI#44727
"There is a certain beautiful danger when a group of geeks get together to entertain themselves." ~Orin Drake
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lego,

There's absolutely nothing that Papa Smurf could have done to your Kagi Key to "enable" it to work on Slackers shard. The Kagi Key is just a name and a password. There's nothing more to it. It isn't a matter of "substitute a 9 for a 4, and change the z to a q, and presto, it works."

Did you give him external access to your wireless router, so that he could change the settings? It's possible that he could have added an exception to your firewall to let it work with just Slackers shard.
LegoAddict
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay

What about temporarily disabling encryption?
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only reason I can think that encryption would cause a problem is that it slows down your network connection. Your computer has to spend a little more time encrypting and decrypting data.

By the way, it is perfectly OK to discuss your problem here, but you might also want to know that there *is* a separate forum for the Great Tree shard itself, at http://www.greattreeshard.org/forum/
a'moaca'
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slackers shard is a private shard, so Papa Smurf would indeed have had to take action to allow your Kagi key to work. This wouldn't be the case for the Great Trees shards because they're not private.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, a'm, Papa Smurf wouldn't have changed Lego's _Kagi Key_ as he keeps insisting; that instead was a change at the Slacker Shard end.
LegoAddict
Explorer
Explorer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:
But, a'm, Papa Smurf wouldn't have changed Lego's _Kagi Key_ as he keeps insisting; that instead was a change at the Slacker Shard end.

He did do a little bit of work on the Kagi from the Slacker's end to make it work. That's what he told me.

So how would I go about changing the frequency of the network?
a'moaca'
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marten wrote:

I'm sorry, I did not and do not see Lego say anywhere in this thread that PS changed Lego's Kagi Key. I see Lego saying that PS had to do something to get the key to work on Slacker's. I separately see discussion about Lego's ISP/routing and wireless network but nowhere did Lego say that PS changed anything on Lego's network despite you having asked if Lego gave PS access to do so. Near as I can tell from what I see here, PS gave Lego's Kagi Key access and Lego says right out he wanted to know if the GT shard required the same action. It does not.

If Lego is indeed saying that PS changed something other than giving his key permission to use a private shard, then I've completely misunderstood the entire thread.

I suggest that Lego attempt to log into the GT shard sometime today so we don't need to sift through old possibly non-existent logs and then PM me: his Kagi key name, the error message he gets and at what point in the login process, and his IP address.
Durin Mephit
Great Tree Officer
Great Tree Officer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a'm: There was additional discussion on another forum before it came here, in which Lego did say such things Smile But that's not important right now. Sometimes I get stuck in the details of who said what and when, and I get away from the actual problem and trying to solve it.

I have pieced together this information from Lego's postings spread far and wide, plus a little detective work. Lego: Please correct anything I've gotten wrong in this description!

Lego originally got a regular invitation (not a Kagi Key) but was unable to use D'mala reliably. He kept getting an AUTH RESPONSE FAILED error at somewhat random intervals while linking between Ages. Later, he got a Kagi key... and has been able to play on Slackers shard with that key reliably, but still has an unreliable experience everywhere else that he has tried (including D'mala).

On D'mala, sometimes Lego is able to play for a little while before things crash out. is able to get to his Relto on D'mala. One time he got almost all the way through Teledahn before things stopped working... but after that, through repeated attempts he was unable to log back in at all.

Lego lives in rural Ontario and is on a high-speed wireless connection. Not a home wireless connection - it's a Residential Wireless Broadband Internet service, apparently offered through Kingston Online Services.

Here are links to where I got most of the above information:

D'ni Guild forums on June 14.
http://www.cyanworlds.com/cgi-bin/ubb-cgi/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=000338

Uru Obsession on June 15:
http://www.uruobsession.com/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=32&t=25010
(Note: The video posted on July 26 in this discussion thread is no longer available.)

DPWR.net on June 15:
http://www.dpwr.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=3378
According to this discussion, around July 7 or so, Lego eventually got access to a Kagi Key from a friend. He was able to access the private Slackers shard with assistance.

Ubi forums on July 17 (one month later):
http://forums.ubi.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/746109302/m/7031006364
Lord Chaos
Great Tree Member
Great Tree Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lego, how about getting a Cat5 cable and using that instead of wireless? It'll go faster, too. Assuming your wireless router has Ethernet ports. Mine does, and when I tried this I got faster connections. You'll avoid the encryption hassles altogether.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Great Tree Forum Index -> Feedback Loop All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: